PDA

View Full Version : !st batch questions

readymom
03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
This is my first try. I have the Complete Meadmaker book and this site.
Used this recipe
4.2 gallons Cider (Schramm calls for unpreserved cider but I've used store-bought and it turned out great)
- 10 lb med-full bodied honey [Matt's change based on most people thinking 8 pounds wasn't enough]
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 8 oz raisins (chopped)
- 8 oz dates (chopped)
- 10g ICV D47 yeast
- Yeast nutrient & DAP
Initially sp. gavity 1.126 Now 1.026 Temp range has been 62-66. Currently 62.
I have tried to use the calculator but apparently have no idea what I am doing. It changes the numbers when I enter them.
Stopped bubbling 2 days ago. What do I do now? Just wait or move to secondary? Can someone tell me if it looks like my yeast has hit its limit or how much alcohol content is. Also I see reference to a newbie guide but cannot find a link? Can someone direct me there. Thanks for any help.

moridin
03-28-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm still a noob but I would be taking a gravity reading every day and recording them. Once your gravity levels are remaining the same. I.e day 1 - 1.026, day 2 - 1.023, day 3 - 1.022. Day 4 - 1.022.

That would be an indication that fermentation is done, and at that point I would wait for it to clear up a bit and then transfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moridin
03-28-2014, 11:53 AM
According to http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/ICV-D47_Yeast.pdf
Your temperature is fine and your yeast has a potential for roughly 14% abv

readymom
03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
But is that where I am? 14% or can you tell?

moridin
03-28-2014, 12:15 PM
From my calculations your at just over 13% abv

readymom
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks. Can you steer me to the newbie guide?

Chevette Girl
03-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Normally we have a newbee guide on the front page of gotmead.com, however the website is undergoing renovations and I think they've still got everything redirected to the forum, so you may have to re-read the first bit of Compleat Meadmaker and then pepper us forumites with specific questions :)

As Moridin suggested, wait until your specific gravity stops changing and then rack it off the lees. Keep it under airlock though, just in case some slow fermentation is still going on, you don't want to have a mead explosion if too much pressure builds up.

I am also not sure where the mead calculator is right now, but with your starting and finishing gravities, you can calculate your alcohol percent by how much sugar the yeast ate (this is essentially what your specific gravity tells you). All you need is the bottom part of the mead calculator, where it asks for starting gravity and finishing gravity, that should calculate it for you. Alcohol percentage by specific gravity change can be caculated on several other wine websites. Here (http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/)'s one I found with google, but there are many others.

GntlKnigt1
03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks to Jas53, we have the Newbee guide available here....