PDA

View Full Version : mead from mango juice

robynb1
03-29-2014, 01:12 AM
i'm relatively new here. I mostly have been browsing and reading for the past few months. I have made a few batches and all have turned out great.

now on to my real question. Costco had mango juice on sale this week so I picked up a few gallons and I would like to make a mead from it. most of the recipes I have been able to find have used actual mango's purred not juice looking for suggestions for building a recipe.

moridin
03-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Are you thinking of using just mango juice and no water? Similar to a cyser type recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moridin
03-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Also just curious about the quality of the mango juice

mannye
03-29-2014, 02:19 AM
Make sure they didn't add any sulfites or other preservatives. They kill or otherwise inhibit yeast.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1
03-29-2014, 02:55 AM
Here's one I made (have done it several times with variations) and I would use 71B yeast rather than the D21. I had good luck with the 71B but there was so much respect being tossed about for D21 I had to try it.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22545-Bitterness-in-Tropical-fruit-batch?highlight=ancestor

fatbloke
03-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Here's one I made (have done it several times with variations) and I would use 71B yeast rather than the D21. I had good luck with the 71B but there was so much respect being tossed about for D21 I had to try it.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22545-Bitterness-in-Tropical-fruit-batch?highlight=ancestor
Well, 71B is known for good things with fruit batches after all........ That's without remembering it's ability to metabolise some malic acid......

So why not eh !

Medsen Fey
03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
... looking for suggestions for building a recipe.
Do you want sweet or dry?
what ABV?
Do you want fruit dominant or honey dominant character?
Still or sparkling?
what is the gravity of the juice?

Answer these and your recipe will be relatively easy to craft.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

robynb1
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Are you thinking of using just mango juice and no water? Similar to a cyser type recipe?

I would like to use as much of the mango juice as possible I was thinking 3:1 with water since it would be easier to dissolve the honey in water then mix with mango.

Make sure they didn't add any sulfites or other preservatives. They kill or otherwise inhibit yeast.

no preservatives was the first thing I checked before putting in my cart. ingredients if your curious are:

Juice from puree and concentrate (water, Mango Puree, Pinapple Juice, Apple Juice) Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C).

GntlKnigt1 I apparently do not have permissions to see that page any chance you could copy the recipe here?

Do you want sweet or dry?
what ABV?
Do you want fruit dominant or honey dominant character?
dry or sparkling?
what is the gravity of the juice?

Answer these and your recipe will be relatively easy to craft.

sweet to semi-sweet I do not want it completely dry.
something between 11 and 14% would be nice.
I'm fine with either dominance
dry I'm not equipped for sparkling
the potential alcohol on the juice alone is 8%

Thanks for the help :)

Kiba
03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Definitely make sure you taste the juice on its own before using it. I imagine most use fresh puréed mangos because so many juice brands are overly sweet or flat.

Real fresh mango has a nice hint of tartness that's dulled down or covered up in most juice brands, so make sure to taste your juice to make sure it's not too sweet. Citrus tastes are great to blend with mangos if it isn't tart enough; otherwise, you might get something syrupy and cloying for your mead, especially since mango is very sticky.

GntlKnigt1
03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
If you can get fresh mango at a reasonable price, that is the way to go....

Will get that mead log in AM for you

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Medsen Fey
03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
OK.
If your juice has 8% potential alcohol the gravity is around 1.060. Please double check that number again as you want to be certain. Don't worry about acidity as there should be plenty once you take the sugar out through fermentation.

You are going to want a starting gravity that will get you around 13% ABV, so you are going to want to raise the gravity up to close to to 1.100. A pound of honey in a gallon of liquid will typically raise the gravity by about 38 points, so you are going to be looking to add about 1 pound of honey per gallon of your must. You can actually see exactly what the relationship will be for your honey if you take 1 cup of juice, and mix in 1 ounce (weight) of honey and measure the gravity. That is exactly what you will get if you mix in 1 pound into 1 gallon of juice.

The type of honey you select will depend on what you have available. I'd stay away from overly strong things like Buckwheat (or mangrove down here). This is where I'd use something like Tupelo or palm honey. A good clover will work. I wouldn't pick a perfumey orange blossom for this, but others might disagree.

You can choose just about any yeast and get the job done here. Most any of them will ferment a batch with 13% potential alcohol completely dry. 71B will work. I've had good results with QA23 and mangos. D47 is another choice that can give some nice tropical fruit aromas and great body and I'd probably use that ahead of 71B, but only if you can keep the fermentation temp below 70F.

You'll want to use some nutrients. The mango juice will provide quite a bit, but I'd still plan on adding at least 150 ppm YAN. You can achieve that number multiple ways, but I'd probably use 4 grams of Fermaid K and 1 gram of DAP per gallon, with 1/2 of the total dose at the beginning and the 2nd half at the 1/3 fermentation point (when the gravity gets to about 1.067).

Once fermentation is complete, you can rack it, stabilize it with sorbate and sulfite, and sweeten it back to the level where it tastes best for your palate. Then you will have a 13% ABV, just-sweet-enough batch with plenty of mango character. The honey aroma will build with 1 year of aging.

I hope this helps
Medsen

P.S. WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!!

GntlKnigt1
03-30-2014, 02:38 AM
robynb1, here is my mead log for that batch; it is in Patron's section. If you ante up to become a patron for the year, there's lots of great recipes and logs up there.
Wedding Mead
Adapted from Ancestor Mead
Dec. 31, 2013
INGREDIENTS – Makes 45 initial liters before racking loss.

35 LBS Honey from beekeeper
6 ea. 64 oz Langers 100% Pineapple juice (Wal Mart)
8 ea 33.8 oz Rubicon Mango juice (Eurofresh grocery)
2 ea 33.8 oz Rubicon Guava juice (Eurofresh grocery)
2 ea 15 oz Roland Papaya chunks
2 ea 20 oz Pineapple chunks
3 ea whole fresh pears
14 ea whole cloves
Yeast nutrient/energizer and DAP
D21 yeast
Metabisulfite sanitizer

OG – 1.095 Initial pH 3.9 Temp 62 F

Create Starter – Dec 31, 2013
In a 1 gallon carboy, add ½ gallon water at room temp, ½ cup honey, ¼ tsp DAP and ¼ tsp nutrient/energizer and 1 tsp of D21 yeast. Shake vigorously and attach fermentation lock. Set in area of temp between 65 and 70 degrees F and allow to multiply for 20 to 40 hours or more. At 12 to 24 hours before pitching, prepare must.

Prepare Must Jan 1, 2014
This size batch will require 2 each 6 gallon fermentation buckets. Put 7 whole cloves in each pail. Pour 3 bottles of pineapple juice into each fermentation pail. Add 8 cups of honey to each pail and stir (and stir and stir) to dissolve. Add 3 each 64 oz bottles (empty pineapple juice bottles) to each pail. Add mango and guava juices and drain the juice off the canned papaya and pineapple chunks and add 1 can to each pail, and halve the pears and add 1 ½ to each pail. Add additional honey as needed to bring gravity to 1.095 (18 cups to each pail in total) and stirred to dissolve. Drew off 50 oz of must for adding to (and acclimating) starter. Added ¼ tsp of sodium metabisulfite to each 6 gallon pail (per manufacturers instructions) to sanitize must. Moved must to area with temp in mid 60s.

Began adding about 2 cups of the reserved, unsulfited must to starter about every 3 hours and let it ferment overnight (it blew into the fermentation lock).

Pitch yeast – Jan 2, 2014
Added 6 tsp DAP and 3 tsp nutrient/energizer. Added half of starter to each pail and stirred.
Noticeable fermentation within 9 hours. Fermentation so vigorous it had to be split into 3 fermenters.

moridin
03-30-2014, 05:09 PM
GntlKnigt how did the batch turn out?

GntlKnigt1
03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Son in Chicago has it in his garage cold crashing and aging. He gets married June 27, and this will be bottled in 375 ml bottles for guests. It is a remake of my Ancestor mead which the bride-to-be really liked. Except I used D21 this time. Not a good move. Left some bitterness, my son says, which back sweetening will mask

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

moridin
03-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Ah that's awesome

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

robynb1
04-04-2014, 03:36 PM
finally had a chance to write my recipe :) if you wouldn't mind looking it over any comments would be appreciated.

Heat 1 gal water to 170.
Add 8 lbs Honey
Add ¾ tsp yeast energizer
Add 2 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Dissolve all.
Crush 5 capden tablets and add to sanitized carboy
Poor honey mix in carboy
Fill carboy with juice to 5 gal’s
Let sit for a day with airlock
Add 1 pack of d47 yeast
Wait till og is 1.067
Add ¾ tsp yeast energizer
Add 2 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Rack monthly top off with additional mango juice
Age 1 year

Medsen Fey
04-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Please don't ferment a 5-gallon batch in a 5-gallon carboy (even 6-gallon wouldn't be great). A MEA is a terrible thing to behold! :)
Your recipe is heavy on Nutrient (which usually means DAP - white crystals) and light on energizer (usually tan powder), but D47 isn't too picky so it should work.
I'd skip the Campden tablets up front, but I have no fear of contamination.
Makes sure you keep the temp down.

robynb1
04-04-2014, 10:38 PM
MEA?

I am guessing your referring to the must bursting through the airlock? I can understand that but isn't head space a bad thing too?
temp isn't a problem I keep my mead in my office and with the servers in this room I have to keep it cool.

moridin
04-04-2014, 11:17 PM
For your primary fermentation you should do this in a big bucket, oxygen will not hurt it at all

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

kchaystack
04-04-2014, 11:21 PM
The fermentation process will create enough CO2 that it will blanket the must. And actually you want the yeast to have access to O2 during the initial stages of fermentation.

Yay mead!

GntlKnigt1
04-05-2014, 03:29 AM
As a (now retired) computer geek and a mead maker, I can only say.... OMG !!! You aren't really making mead in your server room, are you ?????? Do yourself a huge favor and don't do that !!!

Medsen Fey
04-05-2014, 11:10 AM
MEA - Mead Eruption Accident.

It can be as mild as having a little must forced up through the airlock and dribbling down the side of the carboy, or it can be severe enough to blow airlocks off with Vesuvian force spraying your ceiling and the whole room. Search for a thread started by me entitled "chocolate eruption" to read an example.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

robynb1
04-05-2014, 01:00 PM
As a (now retired) computer geek and a mead maker, I can only say.... OMG !!! You aren't really making mead in your server room, are you ?????? Do yourself a huge favor and don't do that !!!

the Rack and the mead are on opposite sides of the room the server's will be fine :) they also are in a open closet with an exhaust fan in the celling for extra cooling. I can PM you a picture if your curious i'm fairly proud of my setup.

Just realised this morning when I woke up I probably should add some pectic enzyme since this is very heavy on fruit juice

Updated recipe

Heat 1 gal water to 170.
Add 8 lbs Honey
Add 1 tsp yeast energizer
Add 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Add 2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
Dissolve all.
Crush 5 campden tablets and add to sanitized Bucket
Poor honey mix in bucket
Fill bucket with juice to 5 gal’s
Let sit for a day with airlock
Add 1 pack of d47 yeast
Wait till og is 1.067
Add 1 tsp yeast energizer
Add 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Rack monthly top off with additional mango juice
bulk Age 1 year

as suggested I will wait the 2 weeks for my bucket to become free and do my primary fermentation in there.

EJM3
04-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Here is a link to a pertinent thread about MEA's....

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/17907-I-just-took-MEA-to-an-entirely-new-level

kudapucat
04-06-2014, 07:24 PM

I make mead in my server room. But then, I'm the only guy I know whose wife allowed him to put a full height server rack in the kitchen beside the fridge... so...

GntlKnigt1
04-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Do you have pics of that?

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

kudapucat
04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
On the far right, excuse the mess, the fridge has since been moved. Lighting' snot great either. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/09/hu5a6ary.jpg

kudapucat
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Actually this may be a better shot, now the fluros have warmed up it's brighter too.
Front and centre.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/09/qadeqyhe.jpg

GntlKnigt1
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
That is incrediblr

kudapucat
04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
That's also a 6' fish tank built into the wall.
Just what you need in your server room - uh - kitchen.