PDA

View Full Version : Abv?

Heathenlegions
03-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Hello...About to bottle. Initial gravity was at 1.090, final is 1.000. What is the exact alcohol percentage? Thanks.
(3 gallon carboy/8lbs of desert wildflower honey/EC-1118 Yeast
-honey was heated,but not boiled -yeast nutrient powder added with must -Kept @ 73/74 degrees)

joemirando
03-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Hello...About to bottle. Initial gravity was at 1.090, final is 1.000. What is the exact alcohol percentage? Thanks.
(3 gallon carboy/8lbs of desert wildflower honey/EC-1118 Yeast
-honey was heated,but not boiled -yeast nutrient powder added with must -Kept @ 73/74 degrees)

11.97%. Call it 12.
For what it's worth, somebody (I've forgotten who) grabbed the calculator from GotMead here and put it up at:
http://meadcalc.freevar.com/

If you scroll down and type your numbers into the "Potential Alcohol Conversion" box, it'll figure it out for you. Of course, now you don't need to. ;)

Just dont assume that because you are at 1.000 its done. It may not be. If you haven't, let it sit. Has it cleared? Have you checked the SG every 3 or 4 days and gotten the same number 3 times in a row? Do you plan on stabilizing it before bottling? I just had a 750 ml bottle of cyser pop its cork and spill its contents all over the counter, where it sat unnoticed for a couple of days. I'm lucky that it was the cork that blew and not the bottle.

Be well,
Joe