PDA

View Full Version : BOMM clairification -- potassium carbonate

sdrilling
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Would someone please confirm -- the potassium carbonate goes in ONLY at the start of fermentation

Looking at the recipe I was not sure if I need to add a dose with each SNA

Thanks

----- working on a peach / pear BOMM.

mannye
04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Yes only at the beginning!

Medsen Fey
04-01-2014, 12:44 PM
If you check the pH during fermentation, and find it to be low (<3.4) I strongly consider adding a bit more carbonate.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

wayneb
04-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I concur with Medsen Fey. Potassium carbonate is used to regulate pH, to ensure that it doesn't go too low during the course of fermentation. While my personal "panic point" is more like 3.2 rather than 3.4, if the pH of any of my batches drops too low, I will add some potassium carbonate (or potassium bicarbonate) to adjust it, regardless of what point in priomary fermentation I find it to be that low.

mannye
04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I agree with both of you but he was asking about the BOMM protocol in particular. Although re-reading my response it was incomplete. It should have said that the SNA protocol in the BOMM recipe only says to add buffer at the beginning and not with every addition. BUT that monitoring pH is important and then what you guys said.

And that's interesting about 3.4 or 3.2 as the panic point. I was also using 3.4. I tend to start testing more often if I see 3.5.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

SilentJimbo
04-01-2014, 06:08 PM
I tend to adjust my panic point depending on how far along the fermentation is. If it's hit 3.5 after 12hrs, I figure it's probably going to keep dropping and will add some then. However, if it's reached 3.2 but is nearing the end of fermentation, I probably won't add any (unless it tastes far too acidic), since it's not likely to drop much further.

kuri
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
How much potassium carbonate would you add to a 5 gallon batch that hit 3.4?

mannye
04-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I usually err on the side of caution. It would probably take a tablespoon, but I would add one teaspoon at a time, wait a day or two and take measurements.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Medsen Fey
04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
0.5-1 teaspoon (not tablespoon) would be a good place to start if the pH is just a little low. You want to avoid overshooting.

danr
04-01-2014, 11:18 PM
I will add some potassium carbonate (or potassium bicarbonate)

What is the difference between potassium carbonate and bicarbonate as it relates to adjusting pH in mead? The bottle I have is bicarbonate.

loveofrose
04-02-2014, 02:47 AM
What is the difference between potassium carbonate and bicarbonate as it relates to adjusting pH in mead? The bottle I have is bicarbonate.

Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) has more buffering capacity and potassium per weight than potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3). You can use the latter, but you may need to add more. I prefer K2CO3 to ensure adequate potassium levels.

Better brewing through science!

Medsen Fey
04-02-2014, 05:48 AM
The bicarbonate form is less corrosive and more commonly found at brew shops. Either form will work.

sdrilling
04-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Day 2 - 10:00 AM

Pulled the lid on the mead. Has a foamy top. No S02. Slightly beer like.
Tried to aerate and quickly foamed to the rim.
Current Gravity - 1.06 (Brx 14.72) --- just slightly past the 1/3 sugar break.
PH 4.1
Taste -- interesting. More pear flavor than peach.

Questions

1. Is all this foam common with BOMMs?
2. Should I go ahead and add a SNA addition -- am a bit concerned it would cause volcanic eruption

Brew Log

Day 1 - April 1 10:00 AM

Peach / Pear BOMM. - Starting Gravity 1.096. (Brx 22.87) Total volume 6 Gallons in a 7.9 Gallon Bucket

(11.75) Pounds Clover Honey
(1) Vinters Harvest Fruit Base - Pear 96 Ounces
(1) Vinters Harvest Fruit Base - Peach 96 Ounces

Yeast Starter - Used (3) Wyeast 1388 started the two days prior. Although I used three packages I expect the yeast equivalent to about 1.6. I do not have a stir plate (waiting for the vortex to get back in stock) so I pitched with six ounces of honey and pitch of go ferm into a gallon jug and shook it vigorously about 10 times a day
---Wyeast Package 1 & 2 were manufacturered in December so I expect the viability is about 30%
---Wyeast Package 3 manuf in Feb

Adjuncts
1 tsp DAP + 2 tsp Fermaid K

3/4 tap potassium carbonate

3 tbl tannin

2 tbl pectin

Aerated the mead when pitched yeast
Aerated the mead at 10:00 PM