PDA

View Full Version : JAOM stabilizing

moridin
04-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Just curious here. I have yet to stabilize a batch of JAOM. --- might catch some flak for this, but i just don't think it is necessary with bread yeast/ goes fast. But I did want to give out a couple bottles...and i don't want to give away bombs. For reference my JAOM was a 5 gallon recipe which was racked at about 2 months and sat in the garage -- basically cold crashing for 3.5 months before bottling. Think i have to worry about giving away bombs?
Its been bottled for about a month and there is no sign of restart (these are in corked wine bottles)
Also incase anyone is wondering, i do usually stabilize...just not JAOM since it goes so fast :)

Cheers

Marshmallow Blue
04-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I think bread yeast is pretty standard to 12% tolerance and won't really go over it. You're probably fine, but the test would be to bring it somewhere a bit warmer and see if it pushed the cork or not.

mannye
04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
I never did stabilize, but then again, it wasn't around long enough for that to matter. Regardless, I wouldn't. Like Blue said, just warm it up a bit and see if it pushes out those corks.

moridin
04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Yah i guess I'm being a little paranoid, will try warming it and see what happens. Thanks guys

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Marshmallow Blue
04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
just to be clear we don't mean stick it in an oven or anything. But bring it to room temp, so that any CO2 that may have been made will leave solution and you'll see what's what. Odds are it's not been carbonating.

moridin
04-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Ahaha yes I know

Medsen Fey
04-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I have had a JAO wake up before which had been fermented cool. Usually if you follow the directions, and ferment it warm, there won't be cause for concern. If there is doubt, letting them sit somewhere warm (80F) for a few weeks adds a level of security.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

moridin
04-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Yah I had a bottle sitting in my room for the last 3 weeks and nothing, but it isn't quite warm enough so I might throw on a warming belt :p and see what happens

Chevette Girl
04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I usually store my JAO's and variants at the same temperature as they've fermented, I've never stabilized one either, and of the 40 or so batches of JAO's and variants that I've bottled, I've only had two cause pressure to build up after bottling. I always bottle at least one bottle from each batch in something with a screw-top so I can check on it every so often, usually it's the last not quite full bottle that tends to have some lees in it. With the batches that did make fizz, it started first in the bottles with lees, so I figure it's not a bad indicator, I just crack the seal every week or two and if there's a hiss, I know I have a problem...

moridin
04-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks for that advice chevette! Definitely a great idea for future batches that won't be stabilized

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Medsen Fey
04-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Another way to keep an "indicator bottle" is to put some in a PET plastic soda or water bottle. If it puffs up and pressurizes, you know what's happening. The problem is that not every bottle behaves the same way, even with the same batch of mead in them so exercise some caution.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

moridin
04-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Ah more words of wisdom from medsen. I feel like I should be paying you ahahahaha