PDA

View Full Version : Braggot issues

SilentJimbo
04-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm currently brewing up two batches of near identical braggot (the only difference is the hop varieties used). Checked on them today, and found that one was significantly darker than the other (one is comparable to a pale ale, the other to a brown ale). Not seeing any reason for this (same ingredients, yeast from same packet, same nutrients etc), I decided to check the gravities:

Light one: SG 1.019, pH 3.72
Dark one: SG 1.019, pH 3.73

So, practically identical, and still some way to go (OG was 1.052).

I then decided to move them out of the brewing cupboard to where I could better compare the colours. In doing so, the pictured below appeared underneath the krausen.

Does that look like something I should be concerned about?
Any theories as to why two basically identical recipes at near identical points in their fermentation would have such a different appearance?

Marshmallow Blue
04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Can you go more into your recipe and process? I'd wait to see if it drops out with high krausen before freaking out.

SilentJimbo
04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
6oz Crystal Malt 30L steeped for 30mins.
1/2oz Hops, 20min boil.
1/2oz Hops at flameout.
Cool.
Add 1.25lb Honey.
Top up to 1gal.
Add 1/2tsp Calcium Carbonate.
Aerate.

Yeast: S-04
Nutrients: 1/2tsp Tronozymol at end of lag, 1/2tsp after 48hrs

Marshmallow Blue
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Ok I don't see any issues in your recipe (I was looking for some DME added after cooling). I'm guessing it's just some gunky yeast krausen and will drop out no problem. Keep any eye on it and if it stays after a couple weeks.

SilentJimbo
04-09-2014, 03:38 PM
If it is just yeast, the two issues could be related - the yeast is not properly in suspension, therefore not contributing as much to the colour.