• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Lemon stopped at 12%?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Amazer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
www.bigthicketbees.com
I went straight for the EC1118 and used 2.5 gallons of honey and zested 6 lemons. cut the lemons up removed the pith and dumped it all in. Fermented for three weeks. It slowed way down and its been still for a week. OG=1.167 FG=1.090 I have no idea what my ph is. I figured that it could still go some more, but everything is dropping and it is clearing pretty fast. I tasted it when i took the FG and its good. I have some roses in the nose. It does taste like its around 12%. I have been outsugaring all my yeasts and they quit at tolerance, I am trying not to use sulphites. The apple vanilla was dang good and it has been all drunk except for three bottles that I put up for later. So, the options here are do nothing and let it sit, rack then add water, or mix up a new starter and add yeast. Any ideas or just call it good? Its very tasty now. Maybe my hydrometer is not right??

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hum ? No info on method other than how you dealt with the lemons......

No mention of nutrients etc, so no guess there.....

A 77 point drop so probably not 12 %, lower. I'm thinking about 10 or so witbout checking.....

pH is likely an issue though. With the lemon up front, it wouldn't help any.

Im thinking the possibility of pH and nutrient issues may have slowed and stalled it.

With the strength of the brew, 133 point drop would equate to 18% ABV.So it would still end up with dessert level residual sugars.

If you got some low range pH strips (or better still, a pH meter) you'd have some idea of it and whether its an issue.

If potassium carbonate didn't help restarting it, some organic nitrogen (Fermaid O, yeast hulls or boiled bread yeast), some sort of aeration may help, or of course the final effort would be an acclimatised restart......

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Super-high starting gravity, lemon juice with low pH, and inadequate nutrition is a combination likely to lead to a stuck fermentation.

I would check the pH and adjust if it is below 3.3.

Diluting by 20-25% may also help.

Adding Fermaid O or other organic yeast nutrient may help.

There is nothing you can pitch on top of this that is likely to work. The only yeast that might have a shot is Uvaferm 43, and your must conditions are probably too harsh even for it.

If you want to leave it as is, you will be at extremely high risk of a an unexpected restart which could cause bottle bombs. If you don't want to stabilize with sorbate + sulfite, I'd urge you to pasteurize it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Amazer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
www.bigthicketbees.com
oh yeah did stepped nutrient additions, and areated with O2. Im thinking that if I dilute it and add some FermO it may start up. I drank what I pulled and it is good. Should I rack it and then try to restart?

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Agreed, don't rack it. There could still be viable cells in the yeast cake. If it needs to be transferred for some reason (say bucket to carboy), then transfer all the yeast too.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns