• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bad, bad honey...?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Well, way back in January;D when I was still new to this hobby, I wanted to make a six gallon batch of show mead. Being a complete noob, I bought blended honey(sourced from the USA, Brazil, and Argentina) in three 5 lbs. jugs at Wal-Mart. Excited with this new endevour, I set forth to brew up my first batch of mead. After primary fermentation, I noticed my dark amber must had turned into a cloudy, pale yellow mix. It didn't look at all like the pics in my books. I decided to stick with it and see where it takes me. I have let it sit for 3 months now(I know, still new!) and even tried some Quick Kleer and nothing. Still a cloudy pale yellow liquid. Now onto the point of this thread. Is this the dangers we could run into by using "bad" honey. Are there just too many additives and fillers in this bulk supermarket style honey? Believe me, as I grow in this hobby and my knowledge increases, I see the error of my ways. I now know that honey should be, in my humble opinion, one source(clover, OB, buckwheat, etc.) and not a mix of honey from who knows where. Has anyone seen this before? Is it the honey or my technique? I've since done numerous batches of 1,2,and 3 gallons and have not run into this issue. Of course, my honey has been of a higher quality as well. This seems to be the only thing I can nail down as being the culprit.

Sorry, this was made using Ken Schramm's method for semi-sweet mead as printed in his book. Water, honey, and yeast. That's all.

Last edited:

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I had a nectarine melomel that for whatever reason took 5 months to clear. Let it sit. Oops, I just checked and it was a Grandma's Liquid Apple Pie that took 5 months.

mistakenmead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2013
Texas
www.mistakenmead.com
patients my friend. Have you tasted it yet? if it has an alcohol taste then it is probably just taking its sweet time. Put it away for another 3 months and check it then. In the mean time brew up a few more batches if you get anxious.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Its walmart honey, dump it out and find a beekeepers group near you to find some real raw honey, unfiltered, unprocessed and local as you can get. WVMJ

I wouldn't be too quick to toss it.
Even Walmart honey can make a good base that you can use for a melomel, or metheglyn. At worst it makes good stock for topping up other batches.

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Actually, GK I used the recipe on page 30.

Actually, I followed Medsen's path. I put them in 1 gallon carboys and added various types of fruit. Made 3 melomels out of them. Funny thing is that 3 days after adding fruit, everything dropped to the bottom and they are crystal clear.

WVMJack, took your path as well and started a new batch of show mead with quality honey.

So, in a way, I took all of your advice!
Thanks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns