PDA

View Full Version : blown airlock?

flycbyrd
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
The other day when I came home I found strawberries all over the walls and a strawberry filled airlock about a foot from the carboy. I originally had my airlock filled with sani clean instead of water. Do I need to be concerned with the possibility of the sani clean entering the must?

mannye
04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Nah. It's fine. It would be ok even if it had gotten on there but chances are it was the first thing that hit the walls.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

flycbyrd
04-15-2014, 10:43 PM
I appreciate the fast response. It looked like a crime scene in the room. My wife was thrilled.

Marshmallow Blue
04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
I've come close to a blowout when it comes to strawberries. Luckily I was checking on it and found that a whole strawberry got sucked into the S shaped airlock. I've had other MEAs though. It's a right of passage really.

Medsen Fey
04-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Yep.
One of the many reasons I do open (or semi-open) ferments these days.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

GntlKnigt1
04-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Some great MEA stories in these forums. Do a search for them....

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

icedmetal
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
I think my MEA experience complete with pictures is still posted around here somewhere. Strawberries clogged the S-lock, same as you. But my mess hit the ceiling before covering a wall, spare computer parts, the carpet, etc.

edit: found it! http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/15869-Strawberry-Melomel-Eruptions