PDA

View Full Version : Using Clarity Ferm for classic mead

Walnut
04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Good afternoon, lads.

I'm a brewer, and recently started making mead. I am making my first batch (4 Gallons of water, 18lbs of Wild Flower honey, WLP720 - Sweat Mead Yeasts).

It's been 5 weeks, the fermentation has stopped as it reached the final gravity. However it is still very cloudy (which is normal).

I am planning to use a clarifying agent. My local store provides few solutions, and I narrowed it down to Biofine Clear Clarifie. I was planning to use WLN4000 Clarity Ferm from White Labs (since I used WLP720), but it turns out that WLN400 has to be added during the yeast pitching.

Anyway, did anyone try Biofine Clear Clarifie for mead? Or should I stick with something else like "Super-Kleer"?

Thanks.

ostensibly
04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
I was looking into Biofine a few months ago and didn't find any glowing testimonials online. Most I saw went like this...
"I think it worked - it's hard to tell but I think it's clearer now than it was last month."

I ended up not ordering it so I can't say whether it works or not.

WVMJack
04-17-2014, 03:12 AM
Standard finers are super kleer, sparkaloid and bentonite, depends very much on what you think is making your mead cloudy, protein, pectins, starch, minerals....or just the yeast still floating around. WVMJ

Medsen Fey
04-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Biofine Clarifier is colloidal silica, which is like kieselsol. If you search around for the term kieselsol, you'll find more info about this substance as a fining agent. It is negatively charged, and is often paired with chitosan (such as in super kleer). It works, but I've become fond of Sparkolloid for traditional meads.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT