PDA

View Full Version : Mead still in carboy over 9 months

borgig
04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi guys,

I have a gallon honey mead I made just over a year ago. Initially I left it ferment for 3 weeks then transferred it into another glass carboy with an airlock. It has remained like this for 9 months now. The airlock is working fine so I'm sure it is not spoiled I just simply forgot about it. . My question is would it be safe to drink ???

Brian

Marshmallow Blue
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Absolutely! It's probably finished clearing by now and ready to bottle.

bernardsmith
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I would perhaps add a little K-meta before you bottle (to inhibit oxidation ) and allow the bottles to sit a few weeks before opening (to avoid "bottle shock" - unfavorable flavors that express themselves when bottled wines are opened too soon after bottling

Medsen Fey
04-17-2014, 05:51 PM
I just simply forgot about it. .
You, sir, have discovered the true secret for making great meads! ")
Enjoy it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

moridin
04-17-2014, 06:41 PM
The longer the better my friend!

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

ShaunG
04-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Well, you almost can't go wrong with a fermented beverage. As long as the airlock has been in place. Is there sediment? It may have a bit of off or spicy flavor depending on the yeast you used. Did you take gravity readings at start & finish?

Better yet, let me PM you my postal address. Send it ALL to me, and I'll make sure it's safe. :cool:

borgig
04-22-2014, 05:53 AM
The 1st initial transfer had quite a bit of sediment but currently there is a small bit remaining at the bottom. Could I pass the mead through disinfected muslin when bottling to further clarify it ?

Guys I just want to say thanks so much for the feedback. Looks like I may have a pretty good batch after all, I hope!

Riverat
04-22-2014, 10:42 AM
The 1st initial transfer had quite a bit of sediment but currently there is a small bit remaining at the bottom. Could I pass the mead through disinfected muslin when bottling to further clarify it ?

Guys I just want to say thanks so much for the feedback. Looks like I may have a pretty good batch after all, I hope!

I would advise that you rack into a bottling container (bucket or another carboy, I have a bottling bucket) one last time at bottling time, this will get your mead off that last bit of sediment, the last bit you rack off (still leaving most of the sediment behind) put in a different container, Fatbloke recommends into a tall (skinny that is) soda or water bottle, one that has little "feet" at the bottom, put that into the refrigerator to settle. then bottle. The small container can be siphoned off that last bit of sediment for "testing" the next day.

borgig
04-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Excellent, I will follow those instructions Riverat . Cheers mate !!

moridin
04-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Yes.... Testing....:)

EJM3
04-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Mmmmmm... <drooling> Testing samples for quality control purposes... :rolleyes: But you have to repeat the process a couple times just to make sure..... ;D

I have tried the soda bottle method to extract the last bit of yummyness, and yes, it works quite well... Although I left mine to sit for a few weeks (it was shoved in the back of the refrigerator and forgotten). But the samples were ohhh sooo tasty!!!

moridin
04-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Ahaha I take weekly quality control tests when my brothers are over... Many five gallon batches have been reduced to 4 gallons by the time I bottle. But yes all for the sake of testing.

Ahaha yah that's a great feeling . Forgot my lees glass of jaom for couple weeks in the fridge and was able to save a nice glass from it