• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

digestive auto brew

Barrel Char Wood Products

coolbird4

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2014
I hear that it is possibly but supposedly rare for this to happen but was wondering if any one else has heard of this.

Drinking mead brings yeast into the digestive track and it stays there making a happy little home, when this happens any carbs or sugars consumed are basically fermented inside your body getting you drunk.
This would be very hard on one's liver I would imagine.

Now before the nay Sayers start in, my buddy called me yesterday and said this has recently happened to him and in fact he is going to see a doctor in the next couple of days.

So has anyone else hard of this happening?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Several cases have been reported. Generally, the patients have been on antibiotic therapy that eradicates the natural intestinal bacteria followed by consumption of large amounts of yeast in homebrew. The yeast setup shop and make alcohol when sugar or starch is consumed. Therapy usually entails a round of antifungals in combination with a low sugar/carb diet. You're friend will be fine.

This Dr.'s advice is don't drink while on antibiotics or shortly after finishing a full dose.

Better brewing through science!

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I have been dealing with several infected teeth over the last couple of years, and I can tell you that the yeast do in fact set up shop if you are not careful, and even if you careful! For me though, they have generally produced more CO2, and thereby excessive flatulence. That is generally when I go to the DR for an antifungal of one type or another. And it happens not just from yeasty brews and ferments as there are all kinds of wild yeast all over, especially Candida yeasts, and Torula yeasts to a lesser extent. The fungal colonization is not overly damaging or particularly uncomfortable, especially when treated quickly and properly. A great way to prevent and/or mitigate the fungal colonization is to eat lots of things like yogurt, kefir, and other LIVE fermented foods. Other foods that are fermented by LABs (LAB=Lactic Acid Bacteria) like pickles, sauerkraut, etc, are not only beneficial to your digestion but the lactic acid reduces/eliminates the fungal colonization, and then the LABs colonize your intestines and help you break down, digest, and absorb nutrients from foods more efficiently...

Just my experiences though..

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Last edited:

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
How about swallowing a Campden tab and some sorbate. That oughta stop the fermenting. Maybe drink some everclear to bring up the abv :p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There is a documented case if a man who swore he was a teetotaler yet was showing up blind drunk all over the place. Someone finally believed him and he was found to have a diverticulitis-like pouch somewhere (I don't recall where it was) that allowed food to ferment into high ABV booze. I will try to find it.

This isn't it but it is very similar:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/health/gut-fermentation-syndrome/

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
That brings back to my remembrance of the time I consumed some "green" homebrew well before its time. It was a dark ale, I believe, and it was still actively fermenting (not much, but it was still bubbling a little). I bottled it up, and stuck several pints in the fridge to cool. We didn't wait long, because we were desperate to get drinking and we popped open a few and started imbibing rapidly. We were also consuming fresh yeast rolls, but I don't know how much the yeast from there contributed to our "dilemma"; it was more likely the extra free carbs in the bread that helped the next thing to happen...

We hadn't been drinking long, and I started feeling sick. My stomach was hurting, it started swelling up, and I only consumed a couple of mugs of the stuff. I started feeling rip-roaring drunk, dizzy, etc. Without going into the gory details, lots of flatulence and belching up (and tossing up) partially fermented bread and green beer was NOT pleasant. I stayed drunk for several hours and swore I'd never do that again and consume live beer. Learned my lesson, and I haven't done it since. It was awful. Hours and hours of inebriation and queasiness and intestinal distress from just two mugs of ale.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
There is a documented case if a man who swore he was a teetotaler yet was showing up blind drunk all over the place. Someone finally believed him and he was found to have a diverticulitis-like pouch somewhere (I don't recall where it was) that allowed food to ferment into high ABV booze. I will try to find it.

This isn't it but it is very similar:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/health/gut-fermentation-syndrome/

I wonder when they corrected the problem if he went into DT's? Technically he could withdrawal. They don't mention surgical intervention but I'm sure that was the solution.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Yeah, surgery would be the only fix I would even allow, if it were me. That's a good question, pokerfacepablo, seeing as how he would have been getting a fairly steady diet of alcohol from the food he ate. I'd like to know that as well.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I wonder when they corrected the problem if he went into DT's? Technically he could withdrawal. They don't mention surgical intervention but I'm sure that was the solution.

In the original story I seem to remember that he indeed had a terrible problem and all the issues connected with a bad case of alcoholism including the beginnings of cirrhosis. A terrible thing actually. Plus, getting drunk without enjoying the drink is like being fed caviar and foie gras through a tube...what's the point?

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
In the original story I seem to remember that he indeed had a terrible problem and all the issues connected with a bad case of alcoholism including the beginnings of cirrhosis. A terrible thing actually. Plus, getting drunk without enjoying the drink is like being fed caviar and foie gras through a tube...what's the point?

Great analogy. How unfortunate for him to figure it out so late.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns