PDA

View Full Version : Non standard carboy co2 noob question

beeper
04-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I hate to ask this but all my googling is giving me info for standard ones with stoppers/airlocks.
I have a 5 gallon food grade HDPE jug I bought. It has two screw caps. One cap has a place for a spigot is about 2" with a silicone ring under it and the other is about .75 with a screw cap. I found something that looks just like it on amazon. Will post link if its not considered spam by default. Big one doesn't vent it seems and the small one was solid plastic so I drilled a straw sized hole through it. I also only used the space of 4 gallons due to co2 explosion fears. It's something I just did this morning so if thats a bad thing having that much room for some reason I can always add a gallon and go for a dryer mead. The yeast is just cheap packet champagne that tolerates the temperature range (on the warmer side as a lot of attic heat goes to that closet). Water is tap-hard water which apparently is good for minerals that I let sit a short while in case of chlorine.

I am attempting to make a sweet mead (I used 3.5 lbs~ clove per gallon) ,temp is right, dark closet space, in no hurry, and my yeast is working as I unscrewed the small cap a little and got a release.

My question is can I leave the small cap loosened a bit for the whole duration or do I need to get it locked tight? I don't want this big one blowing up on but I'd also like to put it out of mind and on autopilot. I don't have a timeframe or a quality expectation. It's very much a passive notion at this point I read about and acted on. If it turns out to contain alcohol I will be thrilled. If it takes 12 months to taste decent I'm thrilled there too. I just don't want to derive the yeast should co2 help somehow or hurt them with oxygen if they couldn't handle any incidental damage by explosion control measures like loosing that small cap 24/7. (I also don't want to spend anymore money right now)

Also in the market for info on any useful simple tool for transferring small amounts (cup or two at a time) of honey/any viscous liquid from a pail. Every way I tried was slow and wasteful and only got more wasteful the faster you try to make it.

fatbloke
04-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Explosions are less of an issue, whereas getting trapped gas, then releasing the pressure and getting a foaming liquid eruption, with the consequential loss of mead is more important......

You can indeed leave the cap loose. Positive pressure in the fermenter should prevent any issues of ingress of spoilage organisms.

If you do have 2 caps, one could be sacrificed to a drill for either an airlock grommet sized hole or right out to a rubber/silicone bung sized hole......

Airspace only becomes an issue when the ferment is complete and you've started racking/clearing.......

icedmetal
04-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Welcome to GotMead, beeper!

I think the tool most used for expediting transfer of honey is heat; the warmer it gets, the better it'll flow. Unfortunately, heat damages the honey in the process. I'd love to hear a better answer to this question than mine. Anyone?