PDA

View Full Version : First Batch and First Post



Pepe Lopez JR II
05-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Greetings,

I started 2 1-gallon batches of Mead on April 28. I only found this forum after I started the batches. However, I had some understanding of wine, beer and spirit making, as well as being a pretty good cook, so I figured I'd dive in. I've been reading these forums, observing the batches, and making tweaks along the way. Here is a log of how things are going:


Both batches started from the same must: 3 kg of grocery store generic honey, disolved into water and held at 140 degrees for 20 minutes.

Batch 1 - Orange and Spice - Initial SG: 1.140



Cut up 1 naval orange and add to jug
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 pkg Lavlin EC-1118 yeast (rehydrated)
1/4 tsp yeast enhancer



Batch 2 - Hot Peppers - Initial SG: 1.130


Cut up 1 jalapeno pepper and 1 scotch bonnet pepper and add to jug
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 pkg Lavlin EC-1118 yeast (rehydrated)
1/4 tsp yeast enhancer



April 28, 2014


Pitched the yeast at approximately 7pm
Bubbling/CO2-production started within 2 hours
Stirred once before bed



April 29, 2014 - Day 1


Bubbling a lot
Agitated jugs several times during the day
Stirred at 2:30 pm to add some extra oxygen for the yeast
Took SG measurement of the Orange-Spice batch: 1.130 (started at 1.140)
After stirring, Orange-Spice was bubbling more frequently than the Hot Pepper. However, the Hot pepper started at lower SG, and I think the orange peels might be giving the yeast more nutrients
During stirring the orange-spice batch foamed a lot, while the hot pepper barely foamed



April 30, 2014 - Day 2


Agitated a few times during the day
Stirred at 2:30 pm to add some extra oxygen
Tasted the hot-pepper batch - sweet and a bit spicy
SG of the Orange-Spice batch: 1.118 (dropped 0.012 in 24 hours) - If fermentation continues at this rate it will hit the 1/3 break in the next 24 hours
Still bubbling frequently



May 1, 2014 - Day 3


9am - SG of the Orange-Spice batch: 1.102 (dropped 0.016 since yesterday afternoon)
10:30 am - added 1/8 tsp of yeast energizer to each batch, stirred, and topped up slightly with water
1:00 pm - Fruit was trying to bubble out of the airlock. Decided to change tactics for the Orange-Spice batch
The orange taste was way too much, and I didn't think I'd like it later
Removed fruit from Orange-Spice (strained into a sanitized pot, cleaned the jug and then re-added the ferment)
Topped up with water and added a handful of raisins. Left the cinnamon stick in the jug
Removed the water from the airlocks to help O2 exchange. Will put the water back in on day 7 (May 5, 2014)
The Orange batch is still foaming a lot with the fruit removed. Hot pepper batch not foaming at all

Pepe Lopez JR II
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Mods - I realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. I've created the "First 2 Batches" thread in the Mead Log forum. Please feel free to delete this thread.

Thanks