PDA

View Full Version : New member here.

militarymisfit
05-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Hey all, whats going on?
So I finally signed up for the site after years of putting it off, and wanted to say "hey" to everyone. I've been expeirementing with mead for a while now and still have a ton of questions about it.

Anyway, I hope to learn as much as I can and have some fun while I do.

Later

mannye
05-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Welcome! These guys are all great. They have made me feel at home since day one. Can you tell everyone a little bit about your mead experiments?

moridin
05-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome!!

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Oskaar
05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
hey all, whats going on?
So i finally signed up for the site after years of putting it off, and wanted to say "hey" to everyone. I've been expeirementing with mead for a while now and still have a ton of questions about it.

Anyway, i hope to learn as much as i can and have some fun while i do.

Later

Welcome to GotMead.Com and thank you for becoming a Premium Patron!

Best of luck on all of your batches, and be sure to avail yourself of the Mead Mentors, and all of the great site resources. Especially the coveted "Patron Section" where you will find some amazing recipes, processes and ideas to boost you rmead making to the next level and beyond!

Cheers,

Oskaar

militarymisfit
05-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Welcome! These guys are all great. They have made me feel at home since day one. Can you tell everyone a little bit about your mead experiments?

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for experiments... I started off just making plain mead. I made a 5 gallon batch with 15# honey, yeast nutrient, energiser, and champagne yeast. Two months after I started the batch I received orders to transfer. Couldn't bring all the bottles of mead with me so I had to think of something to do with it. I ended up brazing together a new "condenser" and "reduced" all the mead down to a honeyish liquor. Came out pretty decent but I think it would've been way better if I had the time to let the mead age first. I tried a bottle of the mead before I did that even though it was only 2 months old. It had a very rootbeerish flavour and bite to it.

I've done other batches with vanilla, black cherries, coconut, dragon fruit, and more. I've tried all kinds of different yeasts and ways of finishing it. I'm still just experimenting though. Haven't got making just plain mead down to a science like you guys have. Probably should though.

I've also done beers, wines, and liquors. I was out of the country for 3 years so I was able to experiment with distilling it all. Made a honey, coconut, rum that came out pretty damn good.

I think I mostly just like the process and the experimenting with flavours. I'm a military mechanic and an avid tinkerer. I weld (tig, mig, and stick), smith, and can build just about anything so I really enjoyed fabricating the different utensils used in brewing and distillation.

As for right now, I have two 1gal batches going (just to try different honeys) one is a palmetto honey, and the other is just a wildflower honey. Figured I'd try the palmetto against the standard.

GntlKnigt1
05-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Oh man...would love to see pics of the stuff you built....must be awesome. With moving around, you probably have used lots of different varieties of honey

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

Chevette Girl
05-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Nice to meet you! Sounds like you're all over the place with it, just like me. "Hey, I bet I can ferment that!" :D

And having things down to a science? Meh, overrated, although good documentation is always a good idea in case you come up with something amazing and wish to repeat it. I've been making wines and meads and stuff for ten years now and really I've only got a handful of tried and true recipes, one of which is a variation on the Joe's Ancient Orange recipe and the others are with the fruits I have regular yearly access to...

Just a warning about distillation, in case you haven't seen the posts that have been closed down because of it... I freeze-concentrated some maple mead a while ago (perfectly legal in Canada) and it's pretty fantastic :) However, on the forum, mentioning doing it out of country is fine, discussing doing it in the 'States is not, the good folks at Gotmead don't want any trouble with the legal issue so if anyone asks for more details on distillation, you'll have have to be careful or you might get a time-out.

militarymisfit
05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Yeah, being out of country I got a little spoiled. It's still good to be back though.

mannye
05-04-2014, 09:05 PM
None of us would ever do that... in public. Or on here! :) Anyway.... had you just forgotten about it and left it sit (assuming it was already in a secondary and off the lees) you would have some back to some fantastic mead!

militarymisfit
05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Oh man...would love to see pics of the stuff you built....must be awesome. With moving around, you probably have used lots of different varieties of honey

You'd be surprised. With all the crap honey from china and all the other honey thats mostly high fructose corn syrup, its been hard to get anything I wanted to use. Honestly, most of the time I had to get it shipped from the states.

GntlKnigt1
05-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Ahh... pity. Well, we have folks here from Brazil, Nicaragua, South Africa, Portugal, Australia, Poland, and sometimes from other exotic places. Most of them get their honey locally, although a few get it mail order...