OCorcain
05-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Hello All

I am still quite new to this and have made a Ginger Metheglin

3lbs Clover Honey
Fresh ginger boiled with sugar and water mix
Lalvin 1118
For 1 gallon

The mead is almost 2months old and is not clearing yet, however the SG is 1006, should I use my fermentation stopper now or wait until it clears?

Marshmallow Blue
05-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeast could still be around looking for something to do. 2 Months is pretty early to be worrying about clarity. I've had some start to clear around the 3-4 month range and fully clear by around 6 months. I'd wait until 6-8 months before I started to think about clarity agents.

But to answer the OP, you can use Bentonite, or Super kleer (both should be readily available at you friendly home brew shop). You can try cold crashing, which is just dropping the temp as low as you can and rack off the sediment.

mannye
05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I always cold crash/rack then use clearing agents. I will often do these things back to back just allowing the must to come up to room temp or wait as long as a few weeks between cold crash and super Kleer.

Especially for a BOMM where I'm wanting to get to drinking it ASAP. Bentonite as a clearing agent isn't my favorite as the lees are fluffy and disturbed by any little thing. I can't even imagine in a one gallon carboy how much loss there would be.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Marshmallow Blue
05-07-2014, 02:24 PM
I used bentonite on a 1 gallon traditional and didn't get the aforementioned fluff, but YMMV I guess. No experience with Super-Kleer yet as the bentonite has served me well.

mannye
05-07-2014, 04:06 PM
I should get paid by Super Kleer I swear, but the product is really the best. I've never seen anything work so quickly.

ReadMead
05-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Is super kleer a liquid or powder form. I saw it comes in little baggies and I was wondering if it's hard to work with if not using the whole amount I.e. Doing one gallon batches.

mannye
05-07-2014, 07:31 PM
That's the only drawback to the packaging. It's not really reusable. It comes as a two-part liquid. First you put in liquid "A" then wait 4 to 24 hours and put in liquid "B". If you only have one gallon going then you're not really getting a good value because it's good for 5 gallons and once you open it, it is supposed to be used in its entirety. So for as little as three gallons, I don't feel ripped off, but if it was only one gallon, then meh, I would wait until I had at least two more ready for clearing. The only form I have seen is liquid. If there's a powder I don't know about it. When I have three or more one gallon batches that need clearing I measure the liquid out using a syringe to be sure I separate it into three/4/5 equal doses. With three it's not as critical as four or five, but it's still helpful so your first carboy doesn't get a huge amount. (learned that from experience) However, it's not really hard to work with. I should really get some tiny little jars to try and re-use leftover if I have some next time...