PDA

View Full Version : Tips for filling headspace in secondary...

Qwerty
05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for here. In order to fill head space in a 5 gallon carboy of Mead, is there a tool to dispense CO2 with the small disposable canisters you can find anywhere? I don't need a large tank and I don't do any kegging so I'm looking for an easier option.

I understand another way is to fill the space with the same mead or use a water/honey mixture at the original SG. And I have also considered sanitized marbles but that isn't an option for me right now.

What other ways do you fill your extra head space to prevent oxidation?

Thanks

PitBull
05-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Conduct an "Advanced Search" (upper right part of the screen) for "headspace" searching titles only. You'll find plenty of options.

Qwerty
05-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Thank you. After a second search I got an idea....

This (http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-Ultraflate-Plus-Inflater/dp/B002AGI1QW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1399594563&sr=1-3&keywords=bike+tire+inflator+co2) is what I'm looking for. I found a CO2 bike tire inflater that will do the job of adding CO2 without buying a large setup. I think a small needle valve attached to the inflator will allow me to squeeze it in between the rubber stopper and the carboy lip. I know that this "bed" of CO2 isn't ideal, but I think doing it a few times would be better than NOT doing anything and letting the Mead sit with O2. FYI, this is post fermentation and will sit for about 8months on some Christmas mead.

Honeyhog
05-08-2014, 08:56 PM
You don't need to squeeze it by the stopper really. Just release a steady controlled stream of CO2 into the open top of the neck of the carboy. Being heavier than the air inside the CO2 will sink down to the must and build up from there forcing the O2 out the top. When you figure you've put in enough to have flushed all the air out you put your airlock back in put it on the shelf and forget about it.