• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sweet or Dry?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Select your favorite final gravity range from the choices below.

• 1.000 or below

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • 1.001 - 1.010

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 1.011 - 1.020

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 1.021 - 1.030

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 1.031 - 1.040

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.041 or above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
How sweet do you like your mead?

Depending on the occasion, sometimes I like my mead dry and sometimes sweet. If you had to choose your favorite, which of the specific gravity ranges listed in this poll would you prefer. I like a final gravity around 1.015, but I am still experimenting.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It totally depends on the mead or wine in question, but most of the time I find myself aiming for around 1.015 as well. Then agian I've got one that's way too sweet at 1.010 and another that needs more backsweetening at 1.020...

Get_Wiggly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2014
I've never had a finished dry mead... only 1.015-1.030 range. Usually they aren't aged well so the extra honey helps. :)

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I'm still not convinced that an FG below 1.000 makes a mead dry. Ok, I know that that's given as a definition, but so far the sweetness of a mead for me has depended much more on the starting gravity. 1.090 and it's on the dry side. 1.110 and there's nothing dry about it. So far everything I've made has ended below 1.000, but I've had no temptation whatsoever to add honey after it finished. It already tasted plenty sweet. That could, of course, be because of the yeast -- I'll have a better idea of that in another year or so when my yeast comparison meads finish.

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a few that finished at .012, which I liked at the time but now feel are too sweet for more than a glass at a time.
probably shooting for .010 and under for the next few batches.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns