PDA

View Full Version : First 2 Batches Is A Go. (Questions)

Brewser
05-18-2014, 09:06 PM
So I've always wanted to make my own mead. I bought a few things and kinda jumped the gun before really looking into how to properly make my own mead. So I'll first list all my ingredients that I used, and what stage I'm at so far. Then I'll ask my questions later.

Both of these batches are fermenting in a 6.5 Gallon big mouth bubbler with a twin bubble air-lock. Before pitching in the yeast, I did make a starter for both batches of yeast. Which in about 20 to 25 minutes, was almost overflowing the cup. I did mix all the ingredients in a big pot on the stove to get it all thoroughly mixed, waited until it was room temperature then pitched the yeast in. I also used sugar as a substitute for honey since it's rather expensive. Then moved both into a closet which is at a steady 70F. I did not take and SG readings or any readings at all really. I do not have a hydrometer, but I do plan on getting one. Anyways, here are my batches.

:Batch #1:
2.5 Gallons Spring Water
2 Packs Yeast (Red Star: Pasteur Champagne "5 Grams")
2 Whole Oranges (Sliced up with peal)
4 LBS White Cane Sugar
2 LBS Dark Brown Sugar
2 TBS Cinnamon
1 TBS Allspice
1 TBS Nutmeg
2 Whole Cloves
1 Box Raisins (25-30)

..::First Fermentation: 5/7/14.
Still bubbling, but not through the air-lock. I can however, see the bubbles in the liquid itself. After watching it for over a week straight, it has never bubbled through the air-lock but I can hear and see bubbles in the liquid itself.
..::Second Fermentation: ????
..::Sit Time: ????

:Batch #2:
4.75 Gallon Spring Water
2 Packs Yeast (Red Star: Pasteur Champagne "5 Grams")
4 LBS White Cane Sugar
8-12oz Orange Juice Concentrate (Canned Frozen)
8oz Vanilla Extract
4 LBS Pure Honey (Generic Store Brand)

..::First Fermentation: 5/12/14.
After about 24 hours, it was bubbling like crazy through the air-lock, unlike my other batch. I checked it day and night, with the occasional "slosh" to mix it up a bit. After only 6 days, today when I came home from work I checked it and found there was no activity. So I siphoned it into a carboy, cleaned the big mouth bubbler, and put it back into it.
..::Second Fermentation: 5/18/14.
..::Sit time: ????

I was wondering what I should do with the batches. As far as sitting time until I bottle, as well as racking the smaller batch. Any comments or questions, or answers would be amazing! I am extremely excited to get making my mead. Can-not wait for responses. Thanks in advance!

mannye
05-18-2014, 10:20 PM
So what you've got there is Kilju, a Finnish sugar wine that's usually enjoyed right after fermenting.

No honey, no mead. I don't know anything about Kilju and I suspect few here will. I suggest you do a google search for how to drink what you have made.

All I know is that it's often enjoyed mixed with fruit juice to mask the horrible flavor.

The second one at least has honey but the sugar is going to produce a very thin and probably nasty flavored result. Who knows? It may age out ok but to be blunt, all that sugar is probably going to produce nasty off flavors or at best a very thin brew.

It sounds more like a sugar wash than a wine of you know what I mean. ;)

Don't get discouraged however, keep those two going but take a look at the newbie guide and try again with a JAOM.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Brewser
05-20-2014, 08:14 AM
So what you've got there is Kilju, a Finnish sugar wine that's usually enjoyed right after fermenting.

No honey, no mead. I don't know anything about Kilju and I suspect few here will. I suggest you do a google search for how to drink what you have made.

All I know is that it's often enjoyed mixed with fruit juice to mask the horrible flavor.

The second one at least has honey but the sugar is going to produce a very thin and probably nasty flavored result. Who knows? It may age out ok but to be blunt, all that sugar is probably going to produce nasty off flavors or at best a very thin brew.

It sounds more like a sugar wash than a wine of you know what I mean. ;)

Don't get discouraged however, keep those two going but take a look at the newbie guide and try again with a JAOM.

Thanks for the response. I will definitely have to read the "newbies" guide which I have downloaded. Just from skimming the guide, it looks to be VERY informative. I was thinking something was wrong when I was racking my first batch, and the smell was quite strong. But after reading some comments on racking, some people said don't be discouraged because some of the worst smelling batches while racking actually turn out very tasty after time.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and comment. I will keep what I have and let it age for a while. I plan on doing two more batches in the upcoming weeks, but this time I WILL do a little more research on the processes and ingredients to make a JAOM.

mannye
05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
JAOM is very easy because you don't even need any specialized equipment or ingredients. You can get everything you need at the local grocery store.

antonioh
05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
JAOM is very easy...

And very tasty, I would say...

mannye
05-20-2014, 07:33 PM
And very tasty, I would say...

Oh yeah! Delicious!

Brewser
05-21-2014, 01:34 PM
JAOM is very easy because you don't even need any specialized equipment or ingredients. You can get everything you need at the local grocery store.

I have looked over the recipes for JAOM, and I will be doing a batch for sure! Might even go get the supplies today. Thanks!

As for my two batches of "not mead", what should I do with them? Any suggestions?

Brewser
05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Oh, I also am buying 4 1 gallon glass carboys. For sample batches. Going to alter the amounts a little bit on each one to see which one my girlfriend and I like best. Of course my first batch will be word for word with the given recipe. Now to find bulk honey for cheap. :cool:

fatbloke
05-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Don't be too eager, most meads need to be made, cleared and then aged.

Most of us consider 6 months to be the minimum aging period.......

Get it that far then find out if your loved one likes it.......

mannye
05-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Oh, I also am buying 4 1 gallon glass carboys. For sample batches. Going to alter the amounts a little bit on each one to see which one my girlfriend and I like best. Of course my first batch will be word for word with the given recipe. Now to find bulk honey for cheap. :cool:

Altering the JAOM recipe will not yield drinkable product. Like fatbloke says most mead need at least a year.

JAOM is more a formula than a recipe. Trust me when I tell you you will wish you had just made 4 gallons of JAOM instead of messing with it.

How about you make two gallons of JAOM and while you wait for it you make another two of BOMM?

Then you can go for a real traditional or melomel that will take a year or three to be ready. Meanwhile you drink BOMM and JAOM.

Brewser
05-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Well, as far as my current batches go. I will be racking my smaller one since it's done with the first stage fermentation. Then I shall be letting them sit for a while to age, and hopefully they are bearable after a while.

Now, I am slowly gathering the supplies for a few JAOMs. Only problem is getting honey in bulk. Any suggestions on where to buy? I'm kind of at a loss right now, and could use some help from people with experience. Thanks in advance!