PDA

View Full Version : BOMM Questions.

occhuzzo
05-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Recipe and Instructions-

BOMM Recipe - 1 gallon
(Updated for clarity & post fermentation options)

Start with 1 gallon spring water.
Remove 1/2 cup water to compensate for smack pack volume.
Draw line on jugs at this water level.
Remove an additional 3.2 cups of water from jug (757 ml).
Add Orange Blossom honey (or your favorite varietal honey) back to line.
-About 2.5 lbs. SG 1.099ish.

Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K. Add these again at 2/3 (1.066) & 1/3 (1.033) sugar break.

Add 1/4 tsp K2CO3. One time addition.
-Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) is preferred due to high K+ levels, but potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) will work fine. This is for pH buffering and to provide K+ for the yeast.

Shake with the top on until honey is fully dissolved. It will require some effort! You're earning your mead!
Add activated Wyeast 1388 yeast smacked for about 2 hours.
No water in airlock for 7 days or the gravity falls below 1.033. Whichever comes first, add water or vodka to airlock.
Ferments dry in about a week.

NOTE: Wyeast 1388 is NOT sensitive to temperature. Temperatures of 65-80 F all yield clean mead free of fusels. The yeast do ferment the fastest at 68 F however.

Post Fermentation (Optional!)
Add 1 vanilla bean, 3 cubes American Medium toast and 2 cubes French Medium toast oak for 2-4 weeks to taste.

You can also step feed small additions of honey until the yeast give up to sweeten. Just be sure your gravity is stable over several weeks to avoid bottle bombs!

I've also had good luck racking on 3-5 pounds of frozen berries to make a melomel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need information or help-

I get Add activated Wyeast 1388 yeast but what is this *smacked for about 2 hours* did i miss something in the guide for newBees? what is Smacked?

does adding vodka to airlock do anything special at all? thought airlock just lets gas out and keep bad stuff from getting in....so why Vodka. is it for the people that can get Vodka easier than water or is it a small sacrifice to the Mead Gods so they will bless your Mead?

Bob1016
05-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Wyeast sells a yeast slurry (as opposed to dry yeast), inside the package their is a small pack that contains nutrients. Smacking it wakes the yeast up, think of it as a starter or adding some must to your slurry after rehydration.
As for the vodka, I can only assume he wanted to use something sanitary because one of the hardest things for new zymugists is sanitation. If you are comfortable with your sanitation practices then water should be fine just like any other airlock.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

loveofrose
05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
I tend to use vodka for two reasons. First, I find that mold can grow in the airlock even if the water has sanitizer in it. Second, sometimes airlock liquid will suck back into the mead when I open it. I'd rather a trace of sterile vodka rather than fungus in my mead.

Better brewing through science!

Bob1016
05-19-2014, 09:23 PM
No judgments, I've come to love plastic wrap and a rubber band, works perfect for bulk aging.

Stasis
05-19-2014, 10:43 PM
...or is it a small sacrifice to the Mead Gods so they will bless your Mead?

After reading that part I was secretly hoping some user around here would reply that that is the actual reason ;)

icedmetal
05-20-2014, 10:27 AM
No judgments, I've come to love plastic wrap and a rubber band, works perfect for bulk aging.

Wow! Have you run into any issues with oxidation that way? I'd think you'd get more oxygen exchange past the plastic wrap than you would a rubber bung or an airlock.

Bob1016
05-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Nope, I actually think it might be better. There's a ton of air that gets through those bungs.

mannye
05-20-2014, 12:22 PM
After reading that part I was secretly hoping some user around here would reply that that is the actual reason ;)

That's just silly. Everyone knows that the vodka in the airlock is just for sterility purposes. However.... the BUNG on the other hand, needs to be dipped in the blood of an acolyte (no acolytes at home? You're not making mead correctly) harvested from his heart which was removed during the "obsidian knife" ceremony (medium toasted oak (French) handle). Or not. Whatever you want, but don't come running to me when Cthulhu wraps his tentacles around your neck.

Bob1016
05-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

mannye
05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sOA5Chz3iU4&autoplay=1

You're gonna love this!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

mannye
05-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Actually, vodka is a great idea. I still remember my first batch of beer over 20 years ago. I wanted to take a peek at what was going on in the bucket so I lifted the lid.... without first removing the bung and SHLOOOP! all the funky liquid in the airlock got sucked into the batch. I was fit to be tied. Had it been vodka, I would have simply shrugged.

EJM3
05-21-2014, 03:25 AM
I use vodka in all my airlocks, yeast or bacterial ferments. I use it in the airlock to prevent "suck back" of the liquid into my must/mead, I have found several fruit flies and a few other types of midge like critters in my airlocks almost as soon as the ground started to stay thawed. I would hate to think what fermenting fly would contribute to my must/mead :-X:-X!!! I also use it to sterilize the bung and the neck of my vessel, various bits of equipment (hydrometer, tubing, flask, etc...) as well as my hands. I figure that if I cannot handle drinking the stuff that they (bacteria, yeasts, etc..) can't either!!!

antonichen
05-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Hey OP thanks for posting this thread. I was just about to get into this section of the forum and ask some questions about the BOMM.

Now, the yeast being smacked, does that just mean activated? Also, once the the primary fermentation is complete, is it advised to rack into a secondary? I know this is a very fast turnaround mead, but, is there any use in tucking it away to age? I think I remember reading about someone debating on whether or not the BOMM improves much with different levels of aging.

Thanks again for the info!

loveofrose
05-24-2014, 12:07 PM
I can vouch that it improves up to a year. Still aging to determine the peak.

antonichen
05-24-2014, 01:44 PM
I can vouch that it improves up to a year. Still aging to determine the peak.

Okay cool thanks for the reply! So, did you rack, secondary ferment, and then bulk age or bottle?

loveofrose
05-24-2014, 02:06 PM
I generally bottle directly from primary. I'm lazy like that. Racking is generally reserved for melomels and metheglins for me.

occhuzzo
05-25-2014, 03:58 PM
So can any one find Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) on the Web to buy?

loveofrose
05-25-2014, 06:53 PM
So can any one find Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) on the Web to buy?

Here you go:

http://morewinemaking.com/products/potassium-carbonate.html?site_id=5

occhuzzo
05-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Thank You Loveofrose

mannye
05-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey OP thanks for posting this thread. I was just about to get into this section of the forum and ask some questions about the BOMM.

Now, the yeast being smacked, does that just mean activated? Also, once the the primary fermentation is complete, is it advised to rack into a secondary? I know this is a very fast turnaround mead, but, is there any use in tucking it away to age? I think I remember reading about someone debating on whether or not the BOMM improves much with different levels of aging.

Thanks again for the info!

You break the little pouch inside the bag. You can smack it or like I do, place it on a table and lean on it until you feel it pop. Then you shake it and let it sit for AT LEAST 3 hours but 12 is better. You know you did it right because the bag puffs up like a little balloon.

Then you just cut off the top corner and pour it into the carboy/bucket/whatever.

Bob1016
05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Sanitizing the outside of the pouch is also a good practice to get into; beer yeast are all killer toxin susceptible (and hence don't produce this compound) which means that they won't kill of competing organisms like some wine yeasts will. Just a precaution.

ReadMead
05-28-2014, 12:19 AM
So I'm looking at starting two-3 gallon(finished volume) BOMMs. both are melomels getting roughly 10 pounds of berries each. My question is this, with the BOMM style is it best to add the berries to primary, secondary, or some combination of both? It seems like just adding everything to primary would be easiest, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. BTW- one will be all blueberry, the other mixed berry...

Bob1016
05-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Because BOMM has such a quick turnaround, you can experiment very easily and get results much faster than other meads. My answer? Do 2 blueberry batches, one with fruit in primary, the other fruit in secondary. There are different characteristics that come from each process, and the best way to learn them is by experimenting, you may prefer blueberries in secondary, but raspberries in primary, only you can find out what you like.

Honeyhog
05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
I like doing half and half. Half the fruit in the primary, ferment to dry, stabilize, then add the rest of the fruit to the must to give it some fresh fruit flavour as opposed to fermented fruit flavour and also to sweeten it up a bit.

occhuzzo
06-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Anyone have any post fermentation options? I will try anything once.....in my mead.

loveofrose
06-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Anyone have any post fermentation options? I will try anything once.....in my mead.

Look in the Perfect BOMM thread. I think I used most every trick in the book there (step fed backsweetening, oaking, acid blend, honey blending, etc).

I would suggest more oak, less acid.

occhuzzo
06-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I did that and it was one of the ones I saved so I can look at it more at a later date. I brought everything to make this BOMM so I am looking for different things to add after the primary so I can make many different BOMMs. The primary all being the same but after that all different things. Some different melomels, one with vanilla. I am still new to this and the Perfect BOMM thread seems scary and way over my head.

occhuzzo
06-19-2014, 03:04 PM
If I become a "Patron" would i get step by step recipes? I am looking for something that would give me basic MEAD that is sweet and then I can Rac and build off of it. I was thinking BOMM would be it.

loveofrose
06-19-2014, 03:19 PM
The BOMM recipe I give in the recipe section is about as step by step as it gets. I'll check to make sure it is updated. BOMM is really good for experimenting since it is the fastest mead to date. You can then apply your findings to long term wine yeast based mead.

When you become a Patron, you get access to a lot of tried and true recipes. Many made by patrons that have won awards. It is definitely worth it. You will learn a massive amount in a very short timeframe.

loveofrose
06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
I updated the BOMM recipe to make it more clear and less "scary".

occhuzzo
06-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Thank You and I will look into it. I Racked my first JAOM the other day. Waiting it to clear and I will put 1 gal in bottles and the other gal to age. Then I will move to BOMM. I have high hopes.

occhuzzo
06-20-2014, 04:41 PM
So aerate and degas....... for this MEAD do I do it 3 times a day for a week or the 2 week time frame???? I plan on using the drill bit method.

Aragorn
06-20-2014, 06:00 PM
You aerate 3 times a day for the first 1/3 of the ferment. So look at your starting gravity and find the 1/3 and 2/3 points. Those are when you add nutrient. And you aerate for just the first third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jvplanz
06-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Ok hi folks! Dumb question of the day: what is BOMM and JAOM?
John

loveofrose
06-23-2014, 07:20 PM
BOMM = Bray's One Month Mead
JAOM = Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

antonichen
06-28-2014, 12:34 AM
BOMM = Bray's One Month Mead
JAOM = Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Thanks so much for all of the information you have shared about your BOMM. I made 3 JAOMs and a customized version and I didn't enjoy them so much because of the sweetness. I still have a bit of all three in storage to hopefully let age at least six months to a year. They've only been bottled for about 2 months.

I made two batches and tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. The only difference is that I used slightly less honey (I thought I had more and I was already knee-deep in the process when I realized it was short) which brought my SG down to about 1.082. These are 1 gallon batches.

I was reading about how people do a lot of BOMM variations with all kinds of things. Any advice on adding fresh fruit to a secondary fermenter? Any recommendations instead of just keeping it simple and by the book for these first two batches?

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/antonton/a2841605-c1c8-439b-8e85-6f5521156a99.jpg

Also, should I top off the batches with water after the 1/3 sugar break? Before? Not at all? Thanks again for the instructions!

loveofrose
06-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much for all of the information you have shared about your BOMM. I made 3 JAOMs and a customized version and I didn't enjoy them so much because of the sweetness. I still have a bit of all three in storage to hopefully let age at least six months to a year. They've only been bottled for about 2 months.

I made two batches and tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. The only difference is that I used slightly less honey (I thought I had more and I was already knee-deep in the process when I realized it was short) which brought my SG down to about 1.082. These are 1 gallon batches.

I was reading about how people do a lot of BOMM variations with all kinds of things. Any advice on adding fresh fruit to a secondary fermenter? Any recommendations instead of just keeping it simple and by the book for these first two batches?

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/antonton/a2841605-c1c8-439b-8e85-6f5521156a99.jpg

Also, should I top off the batches with water after the 1/3 sugar break? Before? Not at all? Thanks again for the instructions!

Since you have 2 identical batches, I would leave one alone and tweak the other. Here are some suggestions:

1. Add more honey to boost the strength. I generally let it go to 1.00, then add to 1.01. Let it drop and repeat until it no longer drops.

2. My standard practice these days is to let it go to 1.00 (either naturally or the process above) and add 1 whole vanilla bean and 7 cubes of medium toast American oak. I try to add vanilla 1 month before bottling. Oak is fine for 3 months or greater to taste.

3. Buy a 3-5 lbs frozen berry mix from your grocery store and rack your mead on it. You can use fresh as well, but freeze it first.

4. Add spices. My current favorite is a Szechuan BOMM. You can look it that brewlog for spices and quantities. I have a lot of metheglin brewlogs here. Just search BOMM for a myriad of ideas.

Any combo of the above or something I've not thought of is fine. I mostly tweak things until it tastes like what I'm going for.
It's your mead. Experiment!

antonichen
06-28-2014, 11:15 PM
snip

Thanks again! I will heed your advice and leave one simple, perhaps add a bit more honey to it to increase the strength, but otherwise leave it alone. Perhaps I'll add some fruit or oak as you recommended to the other.

I've read all 30 pages of the BOMM thread over at homebrewtalk.com and I'll continue to check it out!

joemirando
06-29-2014, 12:30 PM

I know what you mean about the JAOMs. Its a wonderful beginner's recipe, but it's not exactly something I go wild over. My all-time favorite so far is a 14% traditional. I just sampled an ~20% sack mead I made a little more than a year ago. It's clear as a bell, but it's got a yeasty taste and smell. It's also still rough. I'm putting it in the back of the closet for another year and we'll see, but from now on I'm going to be making mostly traditionals.

Joe

antonichen
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Over the past 5 months, I have become exceedingly picky with beer due to my introduction to Belgian ales. They are really just about all that I drink anymore beer-wise, or abbey ales styled in the Dubbel or Tripel styles. I've turned into a beer snob haha.

Now that I'm really enjoying such finely crafted beers, that same scrutiny has entered into my novice mead-making. I'm hoping that the BOMM will be dryer and more in the style that I prefer. It is a total and lucky coincidence that the yeast is a Belgian strong ale yeast. I've been smelling the brew and it is quite enjoyable. I just added the nutrients for the first sugar break, and I bought more honey and I believe both should have the correct amount that Bray recommended in them.

Joe, would you mind giving a brief rundown of your traditional mead that you like so much? What kind of yeast does it use, which honey(s), how long do you age it, and do you add ingredients to a secondary ferment or anything in particular?

joemirando
06-30-2014, 09:57 PM
... Joe, would you mind giving a brief rundown of your traditional mead that you like so much? What kind of yeast does it use, which honey(s), how long do you age it, and do you add ingredients to a secondary ferment or anything in particular?

Certainly. Its pretty much a straight traditional with 1 cup of brewed black tea, spring water (Whatever happens to be on sale at the grocery store), 3 lbs/gallon store brand clover honey (BJ's). Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast. Aged for ~6 months.

I'll PM you the particulars.

Joe

antonichen
06-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks! I'll be looking for that message!

I added a cup of brewed jasmine tea to my JAOM variation, but also a lot of fresh strawberries into the main fermentation.. Haha, talk about bitter (I read later that it isn't exactly recommended)! I racked if off of the lees, and added some honey to sweeten. I fully intend on leaving it alone for the good part of six months to a year to see if anything good comes out of it. As horrible as it tastes, I'm constantly wanting to sample it!

joemirando
06-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks! I'll be looking for that message!

I added a cup of brewed jasmine tea to my JAOM variation, but also a lot of fresh strawberries into the main fermentation.. Haha, talk about bitter (I read later that it isn't exactly recommended)! I racked if off of the lees, and added some honey to sweeten. I fully intend on leaving it alone for the good part of six months to a year to see if anything good comes out of it. As horrible as it tastes, I'm constantly wanting to sample it!

I know what you mean. No matter how disappointing it was the last time, I keep going back to see how it smells and tastes. Its a corollary of the "a watched pot never boils" rule. I've got no experience with strawberries, so I couldn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out with a completely different character than what you find now.

Hang in there,

Joe

antonichen
07-02-2014, 02:14 AM
Hey Joe, those Wyeast 1388 Smack Packs aren't exactly cheap when also combined with the honey one must buy for the BOMM. I've read vaguely about people reusing their yeast.. Would that take place after initial racking? Like, after the first month regarding the BOMM? I fully intend on making more of these batches and fiddling around with them. Is it okay to use the yeast two or three times again? And in relation to those questions, I have to order my 1388 online, and this time I ordered them in conjunction with some cold packs (from PA to AL, via morebeer/morewine.com); do you think those are necessary every time I reorder the 1388? Probably in the summer months?

Thanks for reading!

loveofrose
07-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Hey Joe, those Wyeast 1388 Smack Packs aren't exactly cheap when also combined with the honey one must buy for the BOMM. I've read vaguely about people reusing their yeast.. Would that take place after initial racking? Like, after the first month regarding the BOMM? I fully intend on making more of these batches and fiddling around with them. Is it okay to use the yeast two or three times again? And in relation to those questions, I have to order my 1388 online, and this time I ordered them in conjunction with some cold packs (from PA to AL, via morebeer/morewine.com); do you think those are necessary every time I reorder the 1388? Probably in the summer months?

Thanks for reading!

Reusing yeast is fine. I would say make the first BOMM and let it go 3-4 weeks, then rack. Pour the remaining slurry into batch 2 after all is mixed up. Avoid and dark spots if they are present. Dark spots could be autolysed yeast. I would not exceed 4 reuses.

Northern Brewer ships with ice packs during the summer and are fairly price competitive. You can ask for a bulk quote as well. Alternatively, you can make a yeast bank. I have a post on how to do that here.

antonichen
07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
You mean bulk yeast correct (which would include the one time cold packs)? That thought had crossed my mind, but I was not knowledgeable enough with regards to long term storage of the yeast.

Thank you for the reply. So once I've racked off my initial BOMM, I am assuming you mean that whatever I can't siphon out of the bottom (minus any dark spots), that is what I should add with my second batch correct? Is there an approximate limit as to how much solution I'll need to ensure I get the next batch fermenting? That is, making sure I have enough yeast in the new mix.

Loveofrose I am thoroughly enjoying this brew so far! It's only six days in, my last gravity readings were about 1.02 a day or two ago, I've already reached both sugar breaks. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to obtain some more honey to my shortage in one batch, it's totally dissolved and looks identical to the other now. I know you say that it's pretty much good to drink once it reaches the gravity, but I'll wait the full month before I drink (and hopefully another two!). I have sampled a few tastes and it's already much better than my previous batches, I think mainly due to the Belgian yeast.

I think what I'm going to do is leave one alone, and add some honey to the other and also rack it on top of some frozen cherries (after they've been pitted, split, etc.).

Ironpapa40
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Reusing yeast is fine. I would say make the first BOMM and let it go 3-4 weeks, then rack. Pour the remaining slurry into batch 2 after all is mixed up. Avoid and dark spots if they are present. Dark spots could be autolysed yeast. I would not exceed 4 reuses.

Northern Brewer ships with ice packs during the summer and are fairly price competitive. You can ask for a bulk quote as well. Alternatively, you can make a yeast bank. I have a post on how to do that here.

What's the title of that thread? I can't find it in the search.

loveofrose
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeast bank. It's in the Patrons section.

antonichen
07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah I did the same thing, couldn't find the thread =P

GDP
07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Im not sure if this has been asked but what happens if you dont have any Potassium carbonate? I just pitched yeast last night into my new minibrew conical with 13.5lbs honey, 3 tsp of Diammonium Phosphate and 2 tsp of yeast energizer.

kuri
07-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Im not sure if this has been asked but what happens if you dont have any Potassium carbonate? I just pitched yeast last night into my new minibrew conical with 13.5lbs honey, 3 tsp of Diammonium Phosphate and 2 tsp of yeast energizer.

It still works usually, though you void the warranty and so can't ask for your money back. :) The potassium seems to help the yeast along, though they can still manage to do their job without the addition. And the carbonate helps protect against the pH dropping too low, though that is only a problem with some honeys, not all. It's a good safety measure to add it since there will be times when it makes a significant difference, though depending on the nutrients already in your honey it could be unneeded. At least that's been my experience. I've added Potassium Carbonate Additions to my list of best practices, though, and so now do it as a default.

GDP
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Well I just ordered a lb of bicarbonate as it was cheaper and should have it Monday, so will add it then.

antonichen
07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I checked my gravity today and I'm right at 1.00. It has been six days. I'm going to leave one batch alone, by I already added some honey to the other batch. I'm so amazed by the fermentation time, I guess after only making jaoms. My og was 1.082 and six days later it's 1!

antonichen
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
But* ... hate being on my phone!

Ironpapa40
07-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Here's a question for you that I've not seen asked.
I usually don't put fruit in primary, but I have a recipe I'm working on that will use a few bags of frozen raspberries in primary. I'll be using the 1388 and trying it BOMM style. Would you suggest I add some metabisulfite to the must 24 hrs before pitching? I've read that 1388 doesn't have the kill factor of some other yeasts. Or should I mix and pitch?

loveofrose
07-04-2014, 02:18 PM
I've never tried it in primary, and I can't do sulfites due to an allergy.

If I was to add fruit in primary, I would just throw the frozen berries in with a massive starter. 1388 may not have a kill factor, but large numbers always win!

antonichen
07-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Okay I broke the warranties and I've kept adding honey as you suggested Rose (but to both batches) heh. I mean, everything is pretty much the same, but as I've taken some samples of the brews, I've been refilling with more honey. As of today, 9th of July (brews started on 27 June), there was no sweetness the last times that I sampled, which was about 3 days ago, so I added more honey. Honey is totally dissolved in both batches. My hydrometer broke unfortunately so I'm waiting for a replacement. The last time I checked the gravities it appeared that they were teetering underneath the 1.000 line. I'm still degassing and the brews are both still bubbling away with the addition of the honey.

They both tasted very dry, which is exactly what I'm striving for, so until I taste some sweetness in the mix, I'm assuming that the yeast have not yet been exhausted. I think at this point I'm going to leave them both alone though and not add any more honey. I'm afraid if I do, the yeast will finish fermenting and I'll be left with a sweet brew which is not my intention. I think so far, I've added about half or 3/4 of a pound in increments at this point to each batch.

loveofrose
07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Okay I broke the warranties and I've kept adding honey as you suggested Rose (but to both batches) heh. I mean, everything is pretty much the same, but as I've taken some samples of the brews, I've been refilling with more honey. As of today, 9th of July (brews started on 27 June), there was no sweetness the last times that I sampled, which was about 3 days ago, so I added more honey. Honey is totally dissolved in both batches. My hydrometer broke unfortunately so I'm waiting for a replacement. The last time I checked the gravities it appeared that they were teetering underneath the 1.000 line. I'm still degassing and the brews are both still bubbling away with the addition of the honey.

They both tasted very dry, which is exactly what I'm striving for, so until I taste some sweetness in the mix, I'm assuming that the yeast have not yet been exhausted. I think at this point I'm going to leave them both alone though and not add any more honey. I'm afraid if I do, the yeast will finish fermenting and I'll be left with a sweet brew which is not my intention. I think so far, I've added about half or 3/4 of a pound in increments at this point to each batch.

Depending on how incrementally you add, It has the potential to hit 19%. It gets rather stiff to drink without oak to cut the ABV... Unless that's what you are going for. If not, just stop where you are. It should be fine.

antonichen
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Wow! I thought I would be looking at 14% max. Yeah a staggering 19% would be awesome haha.

occhuzzo
07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I want to make a melomel out of my BOMM. I cut it up and freeze. I rack it then through in my berries or what ever. how long do i let it sit in there? 3 weeks?

loveofrose
07-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Give a month or when the berries turn white. After, rack off and bottle. One warning. Once you introduce fruit, oxidation becomes a big concern so be careful.

occhuzzo
07-16-2014, 02:05 PM
oxidation - meaning it can rot the fruit or god forbid skunk the mead. If you are talking about the mead is there something i can add to retard the oxidation effect? You know better brewing through science and all that. :cool:

mannye
07-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes it will skunk the mead.

You need to keep oxygen away from the must by making sure you always have a tight lid on the bucket, with a filled airlock.

When you transfer to secondary make sure you splash as little as possible and keep the headspace small.

As far as I know there are no chems to prevent oxidation. Just good practices.

antonichen
07-22-2014, 12:08 AM
In six days I'll be at 30 days on my BOMMs. I'm beginning to see a little clearing now so I'm hoping in that time, it will be substantially more clear. I'm going to rack them off the lees, put in secondaries, and start two new brews with the previous yeast. With that being said, should I keep airlocks on the secondaries? Should I add any water or just keep it where it is right now (which is around the bottom of the 1ga neck)?

As you guys have mentioned that oxidation is a bigger issue at this point, I'm hoping to not ruin my brews!

mannye
07-22-2014, 12:20 AM
It's a bigger issue but still not something you need to go crazy about. With the headspace you mention you should be fine. Just keep the splashing to a minimum when you transfer to secondary and yes, you need to keep an airlock with water in it on the secondary.

Don't be discouraged if the mead doesn't clear when you expect. I myself never see it go very clear in the 30 day timeframe. In fact, the first 5 gallon batch I made never cleared by itself until I cold crashed it. Then a lot fell out but even then I had to rack and hit it with Super Kleer and then it was finally clear enough to polish with a filter.

Medsen Fey
07-22-2014, 04:22 AM

KMeta - potassium metabisulfite is very helpful for protecting against oxidation. Even with good practices fruit batches may oxidize (Berry batches may be less prone than some other types). KMeta is standard practice in the wine world. I use it even in traditional batches where the need may not be as significant.

Glutathione may also have antioxidant properties.

Vitamin C has been shown to be ineffective in white wines.

I want to make a melomel out of my BOMM. I cut it up and freeze. I rack it then through in my berries or what ever. how long do i let it sit in there? 3 weeks?
Depending on the type of berries 3-4 weeks may leave you with excessive tannic bitterness. You wouldn't want to do that with elderberries. Usually you can get all the good stuff out in less than 7-14 days.

Medsen Fey
07-22-2014, 04:26 AM

KMeta - potassium metabisulfite is very helpful for protecting against oxidation. Even with good practices fruit batches may oxidize (Berry batches may be less prone than some other types). KMeta is standard practice in the wine world. I use it even in traditional batches where the need may not be as significant.

Glutathione may also have antioxidant properties.

Vitamin C has been shown to be ineffective in white wines.

Medsen Fey
07-22-2014, 04:29 AM
3-4 weeks may be too long depending on the type of berries as you can get excessive tannic bitterness. You wouldn't want to do this with elderberries. Typically less than 7-14 days will get all the good stuff.

antonichen
07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah the clarity is really not an issue for me. Honestly I don't mind it being murky at all, to me the murkiness adds some character. With that said though, I don't want it so full of debris that people are afraid to drink it heh.

I'm probably going to store the brews in the secondaries for 4 months or so...it should be okay to bulk age correct? I figure it would be easier to just leave them in other glass carboys instead of bottling 2 gallons in 12-16oz bottles. If the latter is recommended though I'll do that.

I must get a new hydrometer though because my old one broke and I haven't taken any readings in probably a week or two.

Neighbor just came over and we sampled it...tastes great! Nice and dry like I wanted it.

antonichen
07-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Received ten more pounds of honey today, and this is actually orange blossom honey. The other times I used wildflower and combinations of wildflower honey. I actually have a pretty tasty local wildflower honey but it's very expensive so I don't plan on using it anymore, unless somehow I can find bulk pricing.

I have some frozen cherries in my freezer and I'm going to rack my previous BOMMS onto them today. I was waiting for the honey to come in so that I may reuse my yeast on new batches. If I remember correctly, fermentation was in full swing at about day two on my BOMMS. Should I run into any problems with the previous batch yeasts, what would be the solution, ordering more 1388 (and with speedy delivery, I might add)?

The stuff is already fine to drink. I have literally been fighting with myself to just leave it alone so that I can let it age a bit. I'm going to rack into secondary and leave for about 2-3 weeks on the cherries (since I've read not to leave it too long on the fruit). I will then probably bottle all but a bit to drink. I will post my outcomes and also share any info on the upcoming batches. I received my replacement hydrometer and I may take a final reading today, although I don't know exactly how accurate it'll be since I've stolen a few drinks and also added a good bit of honey since I last measured. I dunno if all of the honey was converted since I added it pretty late in the fermentation; I had already added a lot of honey in intervals too so the batches may have reached a critical limit.

For the record, I began the first BOMMs on the 27th of June, so they've been in primary for about four and a half weeks now (today is the 31st of July).

antonichen
08-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Racked one batch onto all of the cherries and bottled the other batch. I'm drinking the bottled one now. I added too much honey to this batch (for it to finish dry anyways), as its gravity was heavier than the other, but it actually tastes really, really good. It's better than the Redstone mead that I bought hands down... way better (to be fair though I bought the juniper berry variety so maybe that's a more complex brew to master...with that said though, I wouldn't buy it again). There was a stark difference between my two batches, and although I don't necessarily aim for sweet alcoholic drinks, this is actually very tasty. My wife even liked it, and she loathed the JAOMs and the variations I made of that. The biggest difference here immediately is the yeast. This 1388 is top notch and Fleischmanns, well, it's much better for bread hah. Not that it's bad mind you, but Bray did a fine job of researching and trying different strands because this is exactly what I was hoping to craft at home.

The batch racked on cherries is much stronger, and I can't wait to try it out after a few weeks of sitting on the cherries.

I already started my new batches as well, I will be closely monitoring their fermentations for the next few days. Hopefully they start with no problems. Because the one batch seemed overstressed I did not reuse that yeast. However, the one with the less than 1.000 f.g. is the one that I used for both new batches today.

occhuzzo
11-19-2014, 03:33 AM
I am making one gal of the BOMM and i followed all the directions. It will be Day 2 and i do not see any bubbles. do i add something, should i go to church and light a candle for my dying mead? I smacked the smack pack and let it sit there and think for 3 hrs then i let it join the party. thinking back i should have let it sit for 3 hrs and then maybe put it in some go-firm for a few hours then into the mead. i do not know. I do not want to be a MEAD making master but i would love to get directions and follow them and bamm i will have a copy of a good mead. So am i stalled and i should hold on and see what happens or should i dump stuff into it and see what happens or should i dump the poor thing?

loveofrose
11-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Forget bubbles. They don't mean anything. Be patient. It's generally a silent beast until you add nutrients. You will need a gravity reading to determine how things are going. I just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the jug.

mannye
11-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Relax. Is it too cold? Did the package of yeast swell up before you dumped it? Is the yeast expired?

If you followed all the directions it will eventually get going. Sometimes it can take a day or two to get started.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

occhuzzo
11-19-2014, 12:18 PM
The Temp is 70 - 72 F. the pack was 4 months old, it swelled up a little very little. It started bubbling a little today. i will get a gravity reading when i get home and air and degas it.

occhuzzo
11-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I have the MEAD in a bucket...first time doing that and i do not have a way to test it because i normally test it in a carboy. Need to fix that ASAP

bosco500
11-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I figured I would add to this thread instead of creating a new one, lots of good info here.

Does the whole 1388 pack get added to the one gallon? Is it possible to split up the yeast pack into 3 separate gallons?

loveofrose
11-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I figured I would add to this thread instead of creating a new one, lots of good info here.

Does the whole 1388 pack get added to the one gallon? Is it possible to split up the yeast pack into 3 separate gallons?

Yes, the whole pack goes in the gallon. I wouldn't advise splitting it because your pitching rate will be too low. You can make a starter, then split it between the 3 batches.

bosco500
11-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks. How come the package says it's for 5 gallons? Different pitch rate for beer?

loveofrose
11-21-2014, 02:30 PM
It's for 5 gallons of 1.04 SG or less. In addition, beer has more nutrients.

occhuzzo
11-28-2014, 05:29 PM
I am almost at Post Fermentation stage so i have 2 questions.

1. I will be adding the 3 lbs frozen berry mix from the grocery store. How long till i can bottle? A month?

2. when i make my second batch I will be doing the Add 1 vanilla bean, 3 cubes American Medium toast and 2 cubes French Medium toast oak for 2-4 weeks to taste. I can not get/afford the 1 vanilla bean. Could I use vanilla extract? If so how much?

bmwr75
11-28-2014, 10:16 PM
One vanilla bean doesn't make much vanilla extract (vodka based extraction method). So I would say only add a few drops per gallon and then taste it. You can always add more.

I just added some French Oak medium toast flakes and one split vanilla bean a week ago to my first plain old BOMM batch. Looked at it today and it looked nasty, lots of filmy looking floaties in it. Filtered out the oak chips and split bean by pouring the mead into another 1 gallon jug using a funnel and cheese cloth. That cleaned it up nicely.

Griebel
07-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Hello dear Gotmeadists,

A couple of questions from a Dutch newbee:
-When using fruit, how to use the Kmeta (or available alternative) to prevent oxidation?

-I was thinking about a raspberry chipotle BOMM. Any guidelines for the amounts? I have two 10 litre bottle (2.64 gallons) so I can rack after a to be determined time.

-After how much time should I rack if I made such a concoction?

-Another recipe would perhaps use juniper berries. What would be a good amount and what would be a fitting honey? Holland sadly enough doesn't have sourwood, tupelo or mesquite honeys, but lots of heather, thyme, chestnut, forest (pine), lemon, lavender, orange blossom, policeman's helmet (impatiens glandulifera), clover and acacia.

-What would complement the juniper?

-After how much time should I rack this?

-The Netherlands (and Germany, Belgium and the UK) doesn't have Fermaid K, will Wyeast yeast nutrient do? The other option is Tronozynol. I am not certain of the amount per gallon I should use.

-Loveofrose, the Szechuan pepper sold over here doesn't come in red and green. It all looks black or brown to me. Just use the available in the right amount?

Kindest regards from a Dutch newbee

Griebel
07-14-2015, 04:25 PM
And please, no Seinfeld jokes about Dutch, the Netherlands and Holland ;-).

loveofrose
07-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Hello dear Gotmeadists,

A couple of questions from a Dutch newbee:
-When using fruit, how to use the Kmeta (or available alternative) to prevent oxidation?

-I was thinking about a raspberry chipotle BOMM. Any guidelines for the amounts? I have two 10 litre bottle (2.64 gallons) so I can rack after a to be determined time.

-After how much time should I rack if I made such a concoction?

-Another recipe would perhaps use juniper berries. What would be a good amount and what would be a fitting honey? Holland sadly enough doesn't have sourwood, tupelo or mesquite honeys, but lots of heather, thyme, chestnut, forest (pine), lemon, lavender, orange blossom, policeman's helmet (impatiens glandulifera), clover and acacia.

-What would complement the juniper?

-After how much time should I rack this?

-The Netherlands (and Germany, Belgium and the UK) doesn't have Fermaid K, will Wyeast yeast nutrient do? The other option is Tronozynol. I am not certain of the amount per gallon I should use.

-Loveofrose, the Szechuan pepper sold over here doesn't come in red and green. It all looks black or brown to me. Just use the available in the right amount?

Kindest regards from a Dutch newbee

I'll answer what I can in the order you asked:

-K meta is not necessary if you use good technique. Keep everything under airlock and you will be fine. I never use the stuff.

-I have a cyser-capsicumel (Hot Mama Cypsicumel BOMM) that I spent 3 years getting the balance right of sweet/sour/heat/sweet/oak. As a result, I would suggest making a large batch of raspberry, then splitting out some of the batch to experiment with peppers. It is best to use multiple types of peppers for full flavor. The spice needs to be balanced by sweet and sour. Oak is needed so that the mid palette doesn't feel hollow.

-Racking depends on your goals. If you want it dry, rack at 1.000. If you are step feeding honey, you rack after the gravity stabilizes at your desired FG. Be sure to let the gravity stabilize in any scenario before racking. Put peppers in hop bags so that you can simply pull them out when the spice gets where you want it rather than racking.

-I've not tasted a lot of the varietals you have access to, but if forced to guess, I would go with thyme or pine. Acacia or clover would probably work, but may not be as complementary.

-Sage, thyme, allspice, cloves and pepper could all go well. Make a tea with different proportions, sweeten a small bit with honey, and see if you hit gold. Experiment!

-I'm not familiar enough with those nutrients. Someone else will have to chime in.

-Red and green are not easy to find anywhere. You have to spend a bit of time on the web to find it. I'll give you my sources, but if that doesn't work, use what you can get!
Red - https://www.mountainroseherbs.com
Green - www.amazon.com

Let me know if you have more questions.

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Griebel
07-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you, good sir, for the answers. All of the books and a lot of the recipes have been written by Americans using American products. Not being an American means some of the ingredients have to be tweaked. Your answers help a lot. I thank you for your swift response.
The only thing still bugging me is the Fermaid. I asked about it in the Dutch section of the forum but no one knows a real alternative. I ordered the Wyeast and will give it a try.

Thank you for your good work, keep it up.

EJM3
07-15-2015, 12:22 PM
To: Griebel
Re: Dutch middelen

GntlKnigt1 zou een geweldige bron voor u als hij woont in Emmeloord, ik denk dat er ten minste één ander lid dat uit Nederland ook.

Welkom op onze kleine hoek van de wereld, mijn partner is uit Nederland dus Nederlands wordt hier gesproken. Vergeef mijn slechte Nederlands, het is niet erg goed, dus ik gebruik vertalen Google of vraag mijn partner om hulp meestal (hij is op vakantie voor een week). Hoe dan ook, WELKOM BIJ GOT MEAD!! Veel goede vriendelijke mensen om u te helpen hier, vraag weg en we zullen ons best doen om u te beantwoorden, in het Engels meestal.

Griebel
07-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Thank you EJM3,
You are aware of the
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/group.php?groupid=2?

Perhaps the forum moderators could start a whole section for countries that aren't the USA where this kind of topics can be discussed? Let's for now set this thread back on the right track, answering questions about the BOMM.

Griebel
09-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Mr. Denard,

My first BOMM is finished. Apart from using Fermaid I stuck to the recipe. The result is now in the fridge for a coldcrash. The fermentation went by the/your "book".

Problem is, it smells and tastes rather sour, like bad beer. Could this be the result of stressed yeasties due to not using Fermaid?
Another possibility could be that I used a cleaning agent using active oxygen in stead of Starsan's diluted acid to clean my testingmaterials after checking the sugarcontent.

Will this problem resolve itself with time or do I need to add something?

For a second BOMM I acquired a proper substitute for the Fermaid.

I do hope you can deliver some insight.

loveofrose
09-01-2015, 09:31 PM
How old is it?
Does it smell like vinegar?
What is a "proper substitute" for Fermaid K?

Griebel
09-02-2015, 04:01 AM
-I started the batch at the 15th of July. It has been in the fridge for a week now for a coldcrash, vodka still in the airlock.

-As far as my nose (with hereditary a bit reduced sense of smell) can tell, it is definitely beery. The translation from Dutch to English is difficult, "zurig" kan mean acidic as well als sour, but it seems to be more sour to me based on drinking a lot of beer. My first thought was "acetaldehyde" from Piatz' book, page 142-3. Sadly he doesn't mention a remedy for it.
Articles with anti-hangovertips mention honey to help break down the acetaldehyde in your body.

-Substitute: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-products/winemaking/yeast-nutrients/d/vitaferm-ultra-f3-1-kg, the description in Dutch also mentions dead yeastcells. Had a long phoneconversation with the store, according to them it is the best nutrient for sale in northwestern Europe, for Fermaid I'd have to order in from Portugal.

Sadly there is no large mead-scene in the Netherlands (yet). I would really have liked to start out with real life tutelage. Describing smells and looks loses a lot over the interwebz, the timedifference between Europe and the USA also doesn't help. Some of the locally available recipes over here still mention cooking the honey, even in courses for winemakers and beekeepers. We've got one professional meadery (who brews mead one day a week) and one pretender (wine with a dollop of honey).

loveofrose
09-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Not once have I ever experienced a beer like taste in this recipe. Others have reported the same thing when they substitute nutrients or use a yeast besides Wyeast 1388 (you are using this yeast, right?). I think there is some nutrient in fermaid K that prevents beer acid production. In addition, it is fairly young. Let it drop clear and age at room temp for a month.

A small possibility is the honey. What kind are you using?

Griebel
09-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I used the 1388. The fermentation went pretty much like you described in your posts.

I used a lemon honey because the apiary didn't have orange blossom in stock at that time.

Thank you for the advice. I will let it age for a while. I do hope it will work out, 50 euro down the drain would be a shame. I have got my fingers crossed for the new nutrients.

loveofrose
09-02-2015, 02:41 PM
No wonder you have a tart mead! Lemon honey is among the most tart. That is likely your source.

Griebel
09-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Darn it, I am a sucker for sage, lavender and forest honey on bread and in my tea. This was my first subtle honey purchase in a long time. Didn't expect this. One underlined entry for the notebook.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Is there a list in existence of honey varieties and their meadmaking results? Rummaging through Gotmead and Schramm's and Piatz's books doesn't yield a long comprehensive list.

Can I salvage my mead? Ageing, spices, fruits?

mannye
09-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Aging will change the mead in ways you can't imagine.

The best thing to do after you finish the cold crash is to transfer it to a clean carboy, put an airlock on it and let it sit for another 30 days before you try it again.

Then you can back-sweeten if it still seems sour. But chances are you will notice a change in 30 days and you will be encouraged to wait another 30.

BOMM is the quickest mead I know and is drinkable right after primary but it improves with aging (up to a year) immensely.

Trust me. I learned the hard way. Even quick mead is best when treated as regular mead.

After you have given it some time (I say at least 90 days) you can start experimenting with sweetening and flavoring and oak.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Griebel
09-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Thank you sir,

As someone's signature on this board says: "the main ingredient is patience". (Although I always wonder how that person adds the playing cards to her mead, perhaps in a hop bag ;)).

The extra weeks seem to do the trick, the acidic/sour smell and taste have grown weaker. Smells a bit yeasty. I cleaned the airlock and put some new vodka in it. I'll give it some more time. Sadly my other carboy is in use for a herbal ginger BOMM which needs another three weeks. If a racking is really required, I'll have to go out and buy a new one.

Perhaps a good moment to also pick up some oak. Sadly enough over here they only sell oak chips, I don't know how much grams of chips is equal to a cube.

kudapucat
09-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Thank you EJM3,
You are aware of the
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/group.php?groupid=2?

Perhaps the forum moderators could start a whole section for countries that aren't the USA where this kind of topics can be discussed? Let's for now set this thread back on the right track, answering questions about the BOMM.

Haha. You remind me of John Oliver's "Other Countries Presidents of The United States" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk)
There is a whole world out there! or for the more patriotic Merricans, a whole "other" world out there.

Edit: Sorry for the derail.

mannye
09-16-2015, 07:22 PM
We who were born and raised in New York view the world this way:

I don't see anything wrong with it :)

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

brentG
12-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Any word on how BOMM holds up after 3+ years? I've tried searching to see if that's been asked but I keep ending up in wormholes that are causing me to order more honey than I can afford...

loveofrose
12-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Yes. It does, but after a few years, it doesn't really improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollomead
09-12-2017, 07:40 PM
What are most of you using for primary? I have plenty of two gallon buckets but I'm curious as to how people are keeping headspace down when racking to a secondary 1 gallon container? Some volume will be lost due to the lees settling on the bottom.

Maybe I should just grab a couple wide mouth bubblers 1.4 gallons for primary so I can drop a sanitized hydrometer in rather than using a wine thief to take constant gravity readings since I will be able to see through the glass unlike a plastic bucket.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Squatchy
09-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi Apollo. Yes that will work. You can also pour your sample back in the must if you keep everything sanitized.

Welcome to the forum. It's best to start a new thread rather than resurrect one that was started several years ago. :)

Apollomead
09-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Hi Apollo. Yes that will work. You can also pour your sample back in the must if you keep everything sanitized.

Welcome to the forum. It's best to start a new thread rather than resurrect one that was started several years ago. :)Sorry I didn't know if I should start a new one or revive this one from the dead since it dealt with BOMMs in particular. Thanks for the quick response though Squatchy. I will start a new thread from now on if I have a question. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Squatchy
09-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Sorry I didn't know if I should start a new one or revive this one from the dead since it dealt with BOMMs in particular. Thanks for the quick response though Squatchy. I will start a new thread from now on if I have a question. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

That's great brother. We really are here to help you. Tons of good stuff here. :)

bob.murphy
10-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place - this thread seems to be a thread for general BOMM questions so I hope I'm not hijacking anything

Simple question. I'm making a regular BOMM and I'm wondering do I need to rack to secondary or just leave it on the lees for the month?

Thanks

Squatchy
10-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place - this thread seems to be a thread for general BOMM questions so I hope I'm not hijacking anything

Simple question. I'm making a regular BOMM and I'm wondering do I need to rack to secondary or just leave it on the lees for the month?

Thanks

Personally I would stir it every day to suspend the lees for a few weeks and then let it drop out and rack. Others will tell you differently. The lees will clean up the left overs from the ferment and will also add more mouth feel. Plus once you stop stirring it will drop out much faster. I would also cold crash it when you want it to drop out.

bob.murphy
10-12-2017, 10:51 PM
Personally I would stir it every day to suspend the lees for a few weeks and then let it drop out and rack. Others will tell you differently. The lees will clean up the left overs from the ferment and will also add more mouth feel. Plus once you stop stirring it will drop out much faster. I would also cold crash it when you want it to drop out.

Ok - however I am actually away next week ( after day 8 of the ferment ) ... I didn't think I needed to do anything to it at that point ... would it still be ok to leave it on the lees even if I'm not stiring it - this is my first bomm - I'm shooting for basic success here not trying to win an award as of yet but it it will ruin it then I'll organise something somehow

Squatchy
10-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Ok - however I am actually away next week ( after day 8 of the ferment ) ... I didn't think I needed to do anything to it at that point ... would it still be ok to leave it on the lees even if I'm not stiring it - this is my first bomm - I'm shooting for basic success here not trying to win an award as of yet but it it will ruin it then I'll organise something somehow

You'll be ok