View Full Version : Unusually long JAO fermenting. Should I put a bit more yeast in?

05-24-2014, 05:33 PM
According to my mead log, two batches of mead have taken a while to lose their bitterness. It's most likely due to the irony of California's winter being unusually dry and hot, while spring and summer has been unusually cold/rainy; I made two half-gallon batches that took about a month to finish up, as the recipe stated they would, but these two have been maturing for at least twice that long and they've been in the bitter/astringent stage for a good few weeks.

During my taste check on the 21, the bitterness for both batches has finally let up enough for me to almost taste the mead's actual flavor.

I stuck them in the fridge on the same day to see if they'll finish up faster, but now I'm wondering if I should take them out and figure out the warmest place in the apartment. Which is technically the kitchen, but it would be very impractical to constantly be worrying that someone will accidentally tip them over.

But there's also the patio since it's sunny; if I move the mead there and cover them (with a towel or a box) to keep them out of the actual sunlight, that would help speed up the finishing process?

05-24-2014, 06:37 PM
My jaoms have taken at least 2-3 months to finish. And it is way better after another 6 months. Patience is key

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

05-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Cool locations will slow down ferment speed. Warm loactions increase it (generally speaking).

But the caveat is normally to stick within the recommended temperature range for the yeast, because even variations within the temp range can cause differences in the resulting meads......

Of course that's about wine yeasts. If its a JAO batch and you've used bread yeast the the 70's sort of room temp seems to work well.

So keep it there if possible and let the finishing be worked out from the natural conditions inside the ferment.....

05-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, although I wish it wasn't just "wait till it finishes" like I thought. Most of the fruit dropped for my half-gallon and my standard JAO is actually getting clear, so I'll just move them back out of the fridge to the room again.

05-27-2014, 02:43 AM
:) yah it is hard to wait, but the longer u wait, the greater your reward

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box