PDA

View Full Version : First Cyser Questions!!

jpwic
05-25-2014, 08:24 PM
I started my first cyser last Monday and it is currently sitting at about 0.95 from 1.1 OG in a week. I tasted it from the hydrometer sample and while super dry doesn't taste overly harsh at all! I added my spices in today as it's going to be spiced apple cyser but I have a couple of questions. My recipe is as follows:

5.5 gallons Rougemont apple juice (vitamin C only, no other preservatives)
9.7 lbs of wildflower honey
.75 pounds brown sugar
1 whole nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks
5 black peppercorns
1 tsp green cardamon
1 tsp whole allspice
1 star anise
3 cloves
thumbside chunk of ginger, chopped
1 vanilla pod

1) I put the hot steeped spices and when cooled put in the primary today, my plan was to leave it in there at least a week as I was thinking about racking next weekend, do you think this will be enough time to get enough flavour out of them? I'm planning on tasting it before racking anyways to make sure it's too my liking but I was just trying to get a general idea of how long I should wait.

2) Should I wait to backsweeten until after secondary and most of the yeast has dropped out? Or should I stabilize then backsweeten when I rack into secondary?

Thank you for any help!

Brewser
05-25-2014, 09:37 PM
This sounds amazing. Have you made Cyser's before, and it's basically called cyser. But is hard cider? I've always thought about making hard cider. I drink it quite often when I go out. Strongbow mostly. Or Angry Orchard.

Let me know how it turns out.

danr
05-26-2014, 02:20 AM
1) I put the hot steeped spices and when cooled put in the primary today, my plan was to leave it in there at least a week as I was thinking about racking next weekend, do you think this will be enough time to get enough flavour out of them? I'm planning on tasting it before racking anyways to make sure it's too my liking but I was just trying to get a general idea of how long I should wait.

2) Should I wait to backsweeten until after secondary and most of the yeast has dropped out? Or should I stabilize then backsweeten when I rack into secondary?

Can you clarify what you mean by hot steeped spices? Did you create a "tea" and pour the liquid into your primary, or did you add the spices in a bag? If you added the spices directly, I would think that you would want to leave them longer than one week. When I made a similar recipe, I boiled a quart of water, took it off the heat, steeped the spices for a few hours, and then added the tea to my must but strained out the spices. I broke the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg before steeping.

Since your mead already fermented dry, I would stabilize and backsweeten when you rack into your secondary.

jpwic
05-26-2014, 06:56 AM
I boiled the spices (except for vanilla) in just enough water to cover and then let steep (like tea) for a few hours. Then I added the liquid and spices right into the cyser.

Cool! That's what I thought, my plan was to rack right onto the honey so it mixes a bit!