PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Melomel

Struan D-W
05-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Hello!

I had some mixed luck - about 48 hours after making my first batch of must, I discovered GotMead? and realised I'd probably messed up a bit.

I realised I didn't aerate my must when I made it, three days ago, and so I've been stirring it vigorously today, and I hope that that'll be OK. But my question is, with my must in a plastic fermenting bin (which I bought from a brewery shop) and air locked, how long should I wait before racking it into my secondary (a glass demijohn, also airlocked)? Unfortunately, I didn't get a hydrometer (or even really know what it is, though I do now!)

My recipe for the Raspberry Melomel I made was
2L bottled water
420g Highgate Fayre honey (the name makes it sound stupid, but I like it, and it's cheap)
500g raspberries
1 sachet Gervin No. 3 yeast

Any ideas how long I should leave it before racking it to my secondary? I'd like to get it as close to 1.000 as I can because I like dry alcohol in general!

Struan :)

kchaystack
05-30-2014, 12:12 AM
Get back to your brew store and get a hydrometer. Take readings every few days until it stops going down for a few readings. Then you can rack.

Yay mead!

Struan D-W
05-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Great! Thank you so much :) I will do!

Stasis
05-30-2014, 08:09 PM
You might have some difficulty getting it to 1.000 without nutrients. So I might suggest getting some nutrients while you're at the store and hopefully you haven't reached the 1/3 sugar break yet. It's possible that the store only has generic wine nutrient, if so you can either order fermaid k or tronozymol online, or use that generic nutrient with some raisins and hopefully that would do the trick