PDA

View Full Version : Aged Mead

croaker
05-29-2014, 05:24 PM
A friend and I made honey wine about 20 years ago.
It's bottled in dark green wine bottles, corked, waxed and foiled-sitting upright in cool, dark basement.
I haven't tried it; what should I expect?

Stasis
05-29-2014, 05:40 PM
I read somewhere that mead could peak at a certain age and after that peak the quality might start to lessen. The ideal maximum time for aging wasn't known though. Really I think the majority of us would simply crack open a bottle and find out ;)

moridin
05-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Did you change the corks at all during that time?

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

fatbloke
05-31-2014, 01:39 AM
You won't know what to expect unless you breach a bottle........

corking, wax sealing and foiling, likely means it'll be fine i.e. a much reduced chance that the cork may have rotted or otherwise failed....

Give it a try and post any tasting notes.......

mannye
05-31-2014, 06:36 PM
You won't know what to expect unless you breach a bottle........

corking, wax sealing and foiling, likely means it'll be fine i.e. a much reduced chance that the cork may have rotted or otherwise failed....

Give it a try and post any tasting notes.......

I see you're a snappy dresser now. If I were Scottish I'd be askin' ya if you think you're better 'n us now... LOL

I'm jealous of the experience of tasting a 20 year old mead. Here's hoping it's a winner!

skunkboy
06-01-2014, 12:40 AM
I've been lucky enough to taste a couple that were almost that old... most age well, but def change with time...

WVMJack
06-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Did you survive the tasting? Was the wax cracked? We have tasted a few older bottles of country wines, one was just a JD jug with a tapered cork stuck in it covered with wax and filled with blackberry port, the wax did its thing very well and the port was so smooth. WVMJ

K5MOW
06-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Would love to know how it tasted.

Roger

WVMJack
06-02-2014, 07:56 PM
How many times has this happened, a guy shows up with some strange mead he found in his basement, asks this list if its ok to drink, the list members agree its ok, then we never ever hear from the original poster again. Maybe the wisdom of the list is wrong, maybe this stuff is really bad for you and they dont even make it back to the computer after taking a big swig to let us know it was a bad idea?
WVMJ

moridin
06-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Ahahahahah perhaps that is it

Stasis
06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Sadly there is only one way to find out.. Next time I shall volunteer to taste the mead myself and hopefully I will be near the keyboard enough to give the results ;)

moridin
06-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Sadly there is only one way to find out.. Next time I shall volunteer to taste the mead myself and hopefully I will be near the keyboard enough to give the results ;)

You are truly a team player :)

antonichen
08-07-2014, 03:52 AM
Ironically his name was "croaker" as well :P

mannye
08-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Ironically his name was "croaker" as well :P

Perhaps that was a clue. Did he post on April 1st? Also he said they had been "stored upright" for 20 years with corks. Another clue perhaps?

kudapucat
08-07-2014, 08:15 AM
The wisdom of the list is infallible.
Doubt not its integrity nor its validity.

mannye
08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
The wisdom of the list is infallible.
Doubt not its integrity nor its validity.

Hmmmmmm Why does that sound like I should know where it's from?

GntlKnigt1
08-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I had 20 year old mead.....the most remarkable thing about it was.....nothing remarkable. Wasn't bad but wasn't great.

Chevette Girl
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
It may improve with age to a certain point, but after that point... of course that point's going to be different for each recipe.

But if the corks were waxed and the seals intact, they're probably fine, although dried out corks have a tendency to crack when you're trying to remove them. If this happens with one, I'd put the rest on their sides for a couple months, rehydrate the corks.

kudapucat
08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Hmmmmmm Why does that sound like I should know where it's from?

Dunno.
I made it up.

Also, check your mailbox regularly over the coming days.

mannye
08-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I check it pretty on the regular. It's my front door. Lol.