PDA

View Full Version : Explosion!

Katiemw11
06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Hello all!
I attempted my very first batch of mead yesterday. I decided to go with a small one gallon batch, just in case it turned out poorly. I followed the stormthecastle video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ueyNQfnfE

After everything was all set and ready, I put my jug in a cool, dark place and let it do its thing overnight. When I woke up this morning, the stopper and airlock had blown out and there was thick foam all over the bottle and in a puddle on the floor.

So now, what have I done wrong? I suspect I filled the jug up too full. Either that or I put too much water in the airlock.

And even more importantly- is my batch ruined? Do I have to start over or can it be saved?

Thanks!

Stasis
06-02-2014, 11:05 AM
No Katiemw11, you did good. It's the video tutorial that is bad.
I'm disappointed that a video which is supposed to be teaching new brewers has made this mistake. Unfortunately this video has been there for 4 years and I expect the video uploader would know about his mistake by now.. As a general rule the initial amount to fill up your gallon jug should be to the shoulder. That means before the glass starts to curve inwards. Sometimes you'll need to go lower than that but perhaps without extra nutrients like fermaidK that's not a risk.
Compare what you did to the JAOM recipe which is lying somewhere around this site. EDIT: ok found it. It's a sticky thread (the very first thread, and will always be the 1st) in the General Recipe Discussion Section. I haven't watched all the video yet so I'm not sure that is the only 'mistake' there is.
I guess you learnt a lesson in mead eruptions (called MEAs on these forums. Check my signature!) hopefully the lesson will mean that you don't make this mistake with a larger batch and literally, the mead could hit the fan! :O

P.s: Yes the jug was too full, the airlock wouldn't cause an eruption, and the mead in the jug should be fine. In fact there are people who do open bucket fermentation (but cover the bucket with a wet towel)

icedmetal
06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Tired of MEA's? Try a little Simethicone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simethicone). With a couple drops of that stuff, you too can ferment your 1 gallon batch in a 1 gallon container!

Katiemw11
06-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it and can't wait to taste my first batch!