PDA

View Full Version : Perfect mead according to Gwyneth?

Bob1016
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm too lazy to write it twice: http://meadscience.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-trick-to-perfect-mead.html?m=1

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

antonioh
06-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Feelings I donīt know , but about 25~30 years ago I read an article, I think in Time magazine, about memory of water !

fatbloke
06-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Hippy rubbish..... perpetuated by gullible fools......

it's little different from "homeopathic medicine".

At the same time there has been a number of examples of "the placebo effect" - which the mainstream recognise but they admit they don't know the why or how of it.

What they don't do is perpetuate preposterous theory about water memory or magical waves........

Stasis
06-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Sometimes freedom of speach backfires. and I'm referring to Gwyneth Paltrow, just in case it's not obvious

GntlKnigt1
06-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, boys and girls. You can now see the lasting effects of taking hallucinogenic drugs...but maybe we should put "I love you" labels on fermentation pails, just to be sure.

antonioh
06-11-2014, 03:52 AM
...maybe we should put "I love you" labels on fermentation pails, just to be sure.

Just in case... LOLOL !

Get_Wiggly
06-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Well, although I will say that Gwyn has no idea what she's talking about, I would not discredit the idea of good intentions having an effect on things. It's not a black and white subject and its not easy, and perhaps not possible to be explained by science, due to the very nature of 'intentions' - since science should lack them.

What I will say is that if you have a positive attitude you are more likely to get an outcome you enjoy. The reasoning behind that is a lot more complicated than water having feelings, though.

kuri
06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, although I will say that Gwyn has no idea what she's talking about, I would not discredit the idea of good intentions having an effect on things. It's not a black and white subject and its not easy, and perhaps not possible to be explained by science, due to the very nature of 'intentions' - since science should lack them.

What I will say is that if you have a positive attitude you are more likely to get an outcome you enjoy. The reasoning behind that is a lot more complicated than water having feelings, though.

I think I can agree that a positive attitude pays for itself, but only through its effects on the person having the attitude and those who interact with them. Not through its effects on water, mead, lettuce, your kitchen table or anything else that doesn't think and feel.

Get_Wiggly
06-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I think I can agree that a positive attitude pays for itself, but only through its effects on the person having the attitude and those who interact with them. Not through its effects on water, mead, lettuce, your kitchen table or anything else that doesn't think and feel.

I'm about to get full blown hippy, but trying to distinguish those two things is more difficult than you think!

kuri
06-13-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm about to get full blown hippy, but trying to distinguish those two things is more difficult than you think!

It's actually pretty easy. Dogs, elephants, cats, mice, and pretty much all mammals go into the thinking and feeling category. Most people too. I don't interact with too many non-mammal animals to know where to put them, but I'd probably err on the side of taking them to think and feel too, though I have reservations on that front about our pet turtles. Plants, no. Inanimate objects, no. Yeast, no. Anything made out of anything dead, such as a wood table or a fur coat, no. Earth, no. Wind, no. Fire, no. Water, no. Oxygen, no. Iron, no. The sun, no. The moon, no. Mead, no. Beer, no. Wine, no. Scotch, no. Perhaps I'm missing all of the difficult borderline cases, in which case you'll have to enlighten me, but as a first approximation I'd say things with a brain are more likely to go in the yes category, but things without a brain automatically go in the no category. Perhaps that's just my brain bias shining through, I admit, but that's my take on the issue.

Chevette Girl
06-14-2014, 01:35 AM

Just because I talk to my car and it seems to listen doesn't mean what I say has any effect on it at all, even though the one time I didn't tell it, "stay!" as I walked away after parking it, it didn't (slid on ice a few feet towards me)... I don't necessarily think it or anything else inanimate has feelings, but sometimes I can feel energies from inanimate objects, so for me it's not a stretch to consider that any energies I may project may have an effect on other things...

Bob1016
06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm pretty sure we are all willing to admit that attitude has a very important impact on what we do, and we can disagree on the semantics of how that attitude applies to a situation, but this wacko is stating a fact that water has feelings. An incorrect fact regardless of the "all life shares a collective conscience " idea.
Besides, I didn't like Mrs. Potts' character in the third iron man!

joemirando
06-18-2014, 09:12 PM

There are also serendipidy and syncronycity.... and maybe even syzygy to consider as well. The idea of looking for one thing but finding another, the idea of things falling into place despite what little you know, the rare combination of factors that fall into line to bring about a certain outcome, and finally, my favorite, pure dumb luck combined with the kind of 'sure knowledge' that only ignorance can provide... like the theory of geocentrism, spontaneous generation, the Tea Party. <grin>

Sure, if you watch the sun, it seems to move around the earth. Watch a pile of rags off and on and you'll see a rat or two emerge from it. Seeing is believing, right? It's hard to know what you don't know. Talking nicely to a plant might work (if it works) not because you're saying nice things, but because the vibrations in the air stimulate auxin production or something.

-jm

GntlKnigt1
06-19-2014, 03:29 AM
"This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...."

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

mannye
06-23-2014, 12:08 AM
::holding in smoke:: "Oh yeah man. I can dig it"

Can you hear me Gaia? No? Didn't think so.

While I'm having a little fun what really grinds my gears is anything unknown and unproven being rattled off as fact. As if to say, "OK stupids, this is how it is. Now down and kiss the toes of me...because you're no longer unwashed ignorants." That makes me crazy. Prove the babble you say in a simple repeatable experiment and I will kiss whatever body part you want Gwen. (Full disclosure.... I'll kiss whatever that hotty wants me to kiss regardless of her babble and that Bob is right about Iron Man). Same thing with Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, Squatch Hunters, UFO Hunters, etc. Don't tell me your speculation is fact. Grrrrrrrr. Sigh.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

TheAlchemist
07-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Yes, boys and girls. You can now see the lasting effects of taking hallucinogenic drugs...but maybe we should put "I love you" labels on fermentation pails, just to be sure.

Yes. I'm loving this...

Marshmallow Blue
07-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Guys, You're all overlooking a very important fact. This is posted on the INTERNET, and therefore MUST BE TRUTH in its entirety. Anybody getting a chemistry masters that can do their dissertation on this?

mannye
07-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Guys, You're all overlooking a very important fact. This is posted on the INTERNET, and therefore MUST BE TRUTH in its entirety. Anybody getting a chemistry masters that can do their dissertation on this?

I hadn't thought of that. But then again I don't have enough mitichlorions to qualify for Jedi Academy. It's the bitterness that makes me this way. Also, the battle of the 300 Spartans against the Persians was exactly like the movie. :)

Kansas Mead
07-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Ok, so every now and then I talk to my fermenting mead or beer. If is not doing well I give it encouragement and it works most of the time. You may now call me crazy.

kuri
07-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I generally go for a good caress, though I've found with meads that tends to introduce a bit of a backlash in the form of infection. Sadly.

mannye
07-18-2014, 06:31 PM
I generally go for a good caress, though I've found with meads that tends to introduce a bit of a backlash in the form of infection. Sadly. I did the same thing but now that D47 batch calls at night and I'm pretty sure it's leaving weird messages on my answering machine...

Bob1016
07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
As long as it's not singing any Q Lazzarus songs in drag your fine!
(Mannye you may get an extra laugh out of that considering a neighbor ;))

mannye
07-18-2014, 10:30 PM
LOL.... I'm always a little concerned Buffalo Bill is going to show up in my den.

Vod
07-19-2014, 03:16 PM
You know what this thread needs? Much like the 4th remake of the second spiderman movie: MORE GWENYTH!!!!!!!! :-D lol

but in all seriousness I'm pretty sure everybody talks to their mead. If your pulling a john mcginnley "mrs habidasher" moment (see scrubs) I'm no expert but I believe there's a good chance that absynthe *MAY* be involved......

Honeyhog
07-19-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm more likely to talk to it like the psychotropic slime from Ghostbusters II.

Chevette Girl
07-20-2014, 11:11 AM
I generally go for a good caress, though I've found with meads that tends to introduce a bit of a backlash in the form of infection. Sadly.

<sigh> Yeah, I pat my car on the dashboard too.