PDA

View Full Version : My 1st mead, need help tho

ZeKe221
06-11-2014, 01:44 AM
Hi :hello:,

I've been lurking in the forum for a few days but i've now decided to post.

I'm in the uk :p, not sure if I've seen many uk peeps here. So i'll be buying most of my stuff from the supermarkets for my 1st batch. I have some brewing stuff from when i used to home brew but need to find the stuff so i no what i do and don't have. There is at least one brewers shop for stuff i no i can go to and also a wilko store.

I'd like to make my 1st mead using this recipe (guessing its the easiest?)

Bray's One Month Mead aka the "BOMM"

1 gallon recipe

Start with 1 gallon of spring water (I use Ozarka)
Remove 1/2 cup water to compensate for smack pack volume.
Draw line on jugs at current water level.
Remove 3.2 cups of water from 1 gallon jugs. (757 ml)
Add OB honey to line. About 2.4 lbs.
SG 1.09-1.1
Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K.
The above nutrients will be added again at 1/3 & 2/3 sugar break.
Add 1/4 tsp K2CO3
Shake until honey is fully mixed in water. This will take some effort.
Add a smack pack of Wyeast 1388 yeast activated for about 2 hours to overnight.
Put it somewhere warm. High fermentation temperatures are fine for this mead.
Shake everyday for a week.
No water in airlock for 7 days.
Ferments dry in about a week, clears in 3-4 weeks.

However I've not got a clue what half of it means haha

SG 1.09-1.1,dap?, fermaid k?, k2c03?, 1/3 & 2/3 sugar break?...at a guess OB (orange blossom honey)...smack pack (the yeast activeted, or starter yeat?) As for yeast which should i use? (like i said above ive got a brewers shop and wilko store near me) ???: confused:

Well thanks for sticking with me and reading all that. Hope you can help.

Cheers :happy6:

antonioh
06-11-2014, 04:02 AM
Hello ! Welcome !

I sugest the reading of newbee guide, which link you can find here, on post nš 1:

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22874-Newbee-Guide?highlight=newbee+guide

And perhaps it would be easier to start with a JAOM. Less ingredients and less steps.

fatbloke
06-11-2014, 07:28 AM
FermaidK is hard/impossible to find here. Tronozymol is a best substitute - less info about what it provides (as effin usual here), but its in the same market area. DAP isn't easily found pure, but Youngs nutrient is close.......

The yeast is available but not in many places, so it depends where you are. There's a HBS in Aldershot that keeps Wyeast liquid yeasts (don't be fooled by so called "mead yeasts" as they can be hard work). If you go for a recipe that uses White Labs yeasts, there's a HBS in Salisbury that lists them as available - hence mail order but I'd say pay for express delivery service/next day etc as it suggests a minimal amount of time kept out of the fridge.

Sulphites are available normally as campden tablets and they're most likely sodium metabisulphite not the suggested potassium meta...... (which is available but hard to find and about 4 times the price (but a lot of the professional makers use it).

Sugar breaks are 1/3rd or however far through the ferment you batch is at etc......measured with a hydrometer.

And the newbie guide is worth reading as antonioh suggested......

GntlKnigt1
06-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Welcome ZeKe. I echo Antonio and Fatbloke. Read the new bee guide, buy a hydrometer, and start with a JAOM. When you have made 1 or more of those, then try a BOMM, or Wayne's Christmas spice, or use some in season fresh fruit for a melomel.

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.

ZeKe221
06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
thanks for the help so far guys.

I'll give that newbee pdf a read later.

can any recommend a JAOM recipe then?

i have equipmentwise....a hydrometer, 1 gallon bucket x2 (one lid tho), 2 shypon tube things, and bottle capper and caps, about 6 grolsh swing top bottles.

i'm guessing i'll need a demjon or 2?

antonioh
06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
can any recommend a JAOM recipe then?

You will find it in newbee guide, with all the instructions you need.

fatbloke
06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Yes, most likely. The JAO recipe is pretty straight forward in a DJ, just don't fill it all the way up until its been going for a week or two.

Equally, leave it until all the fruit has dropped.........

We can't get fleischmanns yeast here (its a US brand), but I've made it with Tescos, Co-op, Allinsons and Hovis yeast fine.....