PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bottles...

Dunn1994
06-20-2014, 04:07 AM
I have acquired some demijohns off of my grandad who had a couple kicking around in his garage from years ago. However, one of the bottles I can get rid of this line (watermarks?) I've left it soaking for days in sterilising solution, put boiling water in there and left it till its cooled, scrubbed it as best as I could with a bottle brush.
Is it safe to say that if none of the above has shifted it, it's safe to ferment in as it's not going anywhere?

Sam :) http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/yrajeru7.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

clone63
06-20-2014, 04:43 AM
Looks a lot like fracturing to me. Hard to say without seeing it. Might want to test if it leaks. I'd just set as last in line anyway, use if needed otherwise pass.

mannye
06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Maybe it's a hard water mark? Do you have CLR over there? I'm assuming other side of the pond due to "demijohn" and "sterilizing". CLR is "Calcuim Lime and Rust" remover.

Dunn1994
06-20-2014, 09:15 AM
It's not fracturing, it's what looks very much like a water mark, it could very well be mannye... Would I need to remove this with clr the fact it's going nowhere?
Sam :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

mannye
06-20-2014, 11:32 AM
If it's just a hard water stain then who cares? Just make some mead in it and see what happens.

Ha! I just noticed that my auto correct "fixed" the spelling of "sterilizing" HA! It did it again!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Shelley
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
If it is hard water mineralization, try white vinegar or baking soda. To clean off the mineralization in my hot water pot, I boil a splash of vinegar (sorry, it's not very scientific) in the pot. The acid of the vinegar dissolves the minerals like magic (er... science!). A baking soda solution is the next trick when I need to clean the bowls I use on my wood stove to humidify the house in the winter.

Kansas Mead
06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Try using a brass pumpers chain. I find that is the best thing for hard to clean spots. It is also safe on glass.

kuri
06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
The issue with leaving it as is is that bacteria might find a safe harbour in there where they can survive sanitation. I doubt it's a huge worry, but obviously you'd be better off not having it. My guess is that acid will take it off, as Shelley said. Vinegar is one option, StarSan another. (I use StarSan that's past its effective pH to clean the beer stone off the bottom of my brew pot and it works like a charm.) If that doesn't work you could try caustic. I've never tried baking soda, but I'll be putting that on my list now.

icedmetal
06-24-2014, 03:58 PM
I use StarSan that's past its effective pH

Whoa, what is this pH? I probably should check my batch...

mannye
06-24-2014, 04:42 PM
W

mannye
06-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Try using a brass pumpers chain. I find that is the best thing for hard to clean spots. It is also safe on glass.

What's that? Kinda sounds like something I should buy with my wife and keep in the "special locked drawer" if you know what I mean.

kuri
06-25-2014, 02:17 AM
Whoa, what is this pH? I probably should check my batch...

The claimed effectiveness level is pH 3.0 or lower. Usually I just toss it when it gets cloudy. At that point it's pretty close. I've found that a batch can be used easily for a year or more if you keep dust out of it, only put clean things in it, and never dip your hands in it. This makes it possible to keep a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff lying around without constantly running out of it. And though I have had to toss 2 batches of beer since I started brewing 5 or 6 years ago, they were bad because of too much sulfur production, which I don't think came from sanitation issues. (I'm guessing it was undernourishment that killed those two. Could be wrong, of course.) That's two out of 84. 93 if you count the meads too.

Kansas Mead
06-25-2014, 09:33 AM
What's that? Kinda sounds like something I should buy with my wife and keep in the "special locked drawer" if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I misspelled plumbers chain. That is what I meant to write.