PDA

View Full Version : Still on the lookout for honey sellers who ship

Jim H
06-29-2014, 01:31 PM
I saw that there might be a source of honey in UT (via separate thread in this forum). I sent a query to them.

Anyone else get their honey shipped from reliable vendors? Who do you use?

fatbloke
06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Hum ? If you're in NYC, Maryland isn't so far, so if what about beefolks ?

Jas53
06-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Union Square farmers market has a couple of apiaries that sell honey. They sell up to 1 gallon onsite. If you tell them in advance they'll bring in 5 gallon quantities. I believe the name is Tremblay Apiary.

eikon
06-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Bennett's Honey Farm in Fillmore California ships. There Avocado Blossom is a must try & the Sage is amazing.

Jim H
06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Union Square farmers market has a couple of apiaries that sell honey. They sell up to 1 gallon onsite. If you tell them in advance they'll bring in 5 gallon quantities. I believe the name is Tremblay Apiary.

Heh - This last season, I was a frequent customer of Andrew's and Tremblay at Union Square. I made several delicious meads with them.

Jim H
06-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Bennett's Honey Farm in Fillmore California ships. There Avocado Blossom is a must try & the Sage is amazing.

Noted. Thank you! I've never tried those before.

Excellent.

Jim H
06-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Hi Fatbloke, long time, no type...

Ah, for me, Maryland may as well be a world away. Minimum of 5 hours drive or commute each way. 3.5 to 4 hours if I don't mind collecting Maryland speeding tickets.

blcksnds
07-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Wow Bennetts is $240/5gal and up! Plus tax/shipping that should come close to $10/$11 a LB, no? There is a local brew/vintners store in Berkeley that I think does $2.50 or $3 a lb, though I doubt they'll ship. Looks like DutchGoldHoney.com has it for around $2.60 - $3/lb. Anyone have any experience with them?

Walter
07-04-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm in Maryland and just drove up to Dutch Gold yesterday. I grabbed 5 gallon pails of clover, orange blossum and wildflower. I asked about blueberry and they don't have an expected date, but some literature in the office mentioned checking back in the fall. I've never used their products before, but I plan to try starting some sample batches tomorrow. In case it matters, the company is really a honey distribution honey, so I don't think any of their honey is sourced locally.

A few things to note:
1) Shipping costs really add up, if you order it to be delivered (hence why I drove)
2) The retail store is.. kinda hidden. The location is really a shipping facility - go in the door marked as serving a few of the offices (receiving, etc) and it's to the right.
3) The retail store isn't open weekends or holidays (see the above comment for the reason).
4) Once you pay, you go around to the back to pick it up. Park at the ramp and use the door at the top of the ramp.