PDA

View Full Version : Boston area NewBee just saying howdee

Penguinboy
07-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Hi all-

Very first post on Gotmead!! Didn't see an intro category so thought I'duse this one to intro myself. Used to brew beer and have a few carboys and been wanting to try mead for awhile. I just got 4 one gallon wine jugs with screw tops and air locks and me and my bride will be trying 4 different versions of the JAOM. Will follow the recipe exactly to keep the warranty intact, only variable being the honey. We can really only get wildflower and clover local so we decided to buy from ebeehoney ( saw good reviews here). We decided to go raw and unheated/ pasteurized. We're members of a competition BBQ team and we make sausage a lot so we're very good with keeping things clean and sanitary.

So for our very first dip in the mead pool We're making 4 meads- all JAOMs-a goldenrod, an orange blossom, and a wildflower, then for the 4th we'll do with 3 equal parts each honey to get us to the 3.5 #s. Once we see what we like we'll make 2- 10 gallons batches in our carboys. Very excited to finally be trying this and looking forward to spending hours and hours reading the posts on this site. Thanks to all who have come before me for providing all the great info and advice ! Please feel free to comment on my 4 mead beginning brew .......

Cheers!

- Danny

UKTony
07-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Welcome to your new obsession... Ummm I mean hobby .... there are lots of helpful people here, that are also very knowledgeable about this particular passtime!! A while back I posted a "Top Ten Things I've learned" posting, I was going to say, make sure you have a hydrometer, it helps the clever people on here, to help you when things aren't going as expected if you can give them a couple of landmark readings, especially the first reading before fermentation starts, this is not so important with JAOM obviously, but as you start progressing on to non-JAOM batches.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/21779-The-Top-10-Things-I-ve-Learned-from-my-1st-brew-with-GotMead?p=213268#post213268

Hope you find it useful.

Cheers

Tony

Penguinboy
07-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks Tony! Great top 10 list! We brewed beer for years and have all the gear- hydrometer included- so thanks for the tip. In fact having all the gear is what made me want to try making mead. For about 5 years I've walked past my 2 - 5 gal carboys in the basement , siting idle, and saying to myself we really should try making mead. Imagine if I had made it 5 years ago? How great it would taste today!!

- Danny

UKTony
07-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Well that's the truth, you'd just have to muster enough self-discipline to be able to walk past it every day for 5 years when it's full and not be tempted to chip away at it every week :)

That's the hard part....

loveofrose
07-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Nah. The key is to make so much that you forget about it for 1, 3, or 5 years. Finally getting to that point now!

Better brewing through science!