07-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm planning a 3gal batch, following recipe:

9# apricots, 6 in primary and 3 in secondary
6+ lbs honey to a SG of 1090
Nutrients, SNA
Pectic enzyme (how much?)
Ginger (how much?)
D47 yeast

Any suggestions? I'm really wondering if anyone has opinions, especially about the amount of ginger/pectic enzyme

Thoughts on adding the juice/zest of a few lemons? Or a couple of vanilla beans? Tannin, or oak?

Thanks!

Chevette Girl
07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
My initial reaction was "you're probably going to want more apricots" because like peaches they tend to be pretty mild in flavour, but then I saw you're going to use some in secondary, that should be OK.

Pectic enzyme, a good basic rule is 1/2 tsp per gallon if you add it before fermentation and give it 24 hours to do its thing at room temperature before you pitch your yeast.

Do you want a gentle kiss of ginger, or do you want it to smack you upside the head? My ginger hydromel (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/16243-Ginger-something) used a pound of ginger for a gallon of must and that was strong without being too spicy or unpleasant, I ran it through the blender and then steeped it in hot water like you'd make tea and used that for primary fermentation. I have also put finely grated ginger in secondary of other meads and wines and wasn't as impressed with it, my zester made it so fine and fluffy that it was hard to round up later. Jsquared made a 5 gallon batch of minty ginger kiss (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/18517-Minty-Ginger-Kiss) with 1 lb ginger and according to his tasting notes, that's a perceptible but not overwhelming amount of ginger. AngelicAlchemist made a "punch you in the face" ginger tonic (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/15645-quot-Punch-you-in-the-face-quot-Ginger-Tonic) with a gallon of ginger juice from her juicer for a 5 gal batch. But I'm pretty sure if you started out with the 12 lbs of ginger she had, you won't need to bother with the apricots, you'd never taste them! :)

And welcome to Gotmead, how North are you?

Northerngal
07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Perceptible but not overwhelming is what I'm hoping for, thank you!
Fort St John, BC, Canada! I love it here but things such as fresh locally grown fruit and home brew supply stores are rare ;-)

Chevette Girl
07-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Heh, I think that's more north than Ontario gets! :)

I'm not sure who the good online brew supply places are, I've got within a couple of kilometers of my house and two more within walking distance from my dojo...

Regarding lemons - add just the zest before primary fermentation, that's where all the flavour is anyway. If you think it needs to be perked up after it's fermented, add lemon juice to add a little acidity, you don't want it too acidic or the yeast might go on strike.

If you think you'll be deficient in tannins, put a strong cup of black tea per gallon (steep it hot in the mug, or measuring cup for multiple bags, until it's cold, then pour in the tea). I believe I actually own a container of grape tannin but I don't think I've actually ever used it. Same with acid blend. If you're just getting started, do some poking around in the newbee and equipment forums, there are a couple good threads about what stuff to buy first if you've got limited resources or limited access to brewshops. Tea for tannins, lemons for acid, raisins for body... things I always run out of would be nutrients, energizer and pectic enzyme. Campden tablets and potassium sorbate are also good to have on hand.