PDA

View Full Version : Yeast has collected in the foam

BernHerkins
07-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Hello
Yesterday i brewed my first 2x 1gallon batches of Mead!
I made 1 gallon of orange mead and 1 gallon of a variety of berries.
I followed various recipes and chose to rehydrate the yeast for the orange mead while putting the yeast in the berry one in dry.
Now the orange mead is bubbling away rather quickly and i am most happy with it yet the berry meads yeast has appeared to collect in the foam at the top of the mead so a vast majority of it, i believe, is not having any affect on the mead. It is also bubbling a lot less than the orange mead, of course that may be due to the different ingredients but i doubt so.

So my question is.. Should i do something about this floating yeast in the foam or leave it be?

UKTony
07-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Congrats on the first batch!

If it's still strongly fermenting, then you can resubmerge the yeast that pushed up, when you next degas/aerate/feed, even a gentle swirl of the carboy, or something should achieve the job.

Cheers

Tony

EJM3
07-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I have had a few batches where the yeast have collected in colonies on the surface of my meads. All that <I> have done is to "swirl" and/or "slosh" them back into the main must body. No harm, no foul as far as I can tell, they just like to form colonies, and you just have to break them up and re-incorporate them. At least in my limited experience that is...