PDA

View Full Version : Another Newb :)

PapaScout
07-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Hello All!

My name is Ron and I live in Indiana. Recently I've started brewing beer (not much) and have basic equipment for that, so trying my hand at mead is a pretty natural progression. I am two months into my first mead attempt and so far so good. First taste last night and it was pretty rough at first. I'll try it again in a couple more months.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/PapaScoutDC/IMG-20140709-00371_zpsdd06ed93.jpg

I can't wait to soak up the vast knowledge present here and maybe get to the point where I can help others as well.

Ron

Marshmallow Blue
07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Welcome to GotMead! That mead looks pretty nice for 2 months, what was your recipe?

PapaScout
07-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Pretty thin :

4 lbs clover honey
2 gallons spring water
8 oz chopped dates
1 orange - zest from peel and orange pulp (no rind)

Heated to 90F for about 5 minutes to mix
Transferred to 2 1-gallons jugs
Pitched rehydrated dry bread yeast
Poor man's balloon with pin-holes for airlock
Racked once at first month
Now sitting in gallon jugs with balloons (no pin holes) to bulk age

PapaScout
07-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Okay, so I've learned what degassing is over the last week - duh. I've degassed the two gallons and let them settle this past week. Not quite as clear as before but getting close. One gallon has been in a spare frig and the other at room temp. No difference in color or clarity.

I just tried a few ounces and wow! So much more drinkable than a week ago. Even warm it's nice, and kind of tastes like a white wine - I don't get much honey at all but not bad for a first attempt.

mannye
07-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Take a look at the JAOM recipe and try that. I think you will like it. It's a more flavorful and sweet version than what you have.

PapaScout
07-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda new to all of this. I appreciate the suggestion. I'm learning tons from the site by reading back through various threads. :)

PapaScout
07-20-2014, 06:17 PM
I had a few friends over last night to sample my first mead. They enjoyed it fully and between the four of us finished one of my gallons :o. Glad I made two gallons so I can put some back to try in a year.

Chevette Girl
07-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh heavens! See, this is why bottling it becomes a good idea... you have to stop drinking long enough to find the corkscrew so there's a chance you might have a bottle or two survive the evening... whereas if you've got a gallon jug... well... who wants to leave some to go bad??

mannye
07-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Oh heavens! See, this is why bottling it becomes a good idea... you have to stop drinking long enough to find the corkscrew so there's a chance you might have a bottle or two survive the evening... whereas if you've got a gallon jug... well... who wants to leave some to go bad??

That's what I always say! hic...

antonichen
08-02-2014, 01:02 AM
While the JAOM is very easy, I didn't like it very much. It was far too sweet for me, and I was kinda disgusted by the bread yeast taste. However, I still have about 6-9 bottles of it tucked away in my closet to age.

If you make the JAOM or a variation and aren't very impressed, proceed with the BOMM. It uses a Belgian ale yeast and man, I just finished bottling and racking my first two batches of it and they are night and day when compared to the JAOMs that I brewed. I just drank a bottle of it now heh, and another (the stronger one) I racked onto cherries and I'll bottle that one after two or three weeks.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of wisdom here and members are happy to give you advice.