PDA

View Full Version : Gotmead.com CON?

mannye
07-14-2014, 11:10 AM
I was thinking the other day that it might be fun to put together a "GOTMEAD.COMCON" somewhere. Anyone think it would be fun besides me? I envision a very casual get together where all gotmeaders are invited. Admission would be 750ml of home-made mead. Maybe find a large pub to sponsor the event (our payment would be the food everyone orders) and set aside a bunch of tables or a room for us. That way we wouldn't have to worry about venue, licensing for the booze, etc. I'm not imagining it would be a huge group, although it would be a pleasant surprise if it were.

Hard part is figuring out a location since we are all so spread out. Location would then determine time of year. Figuring if southern climes are more common, winter, and if it's in the north, fall or spring (because summer in the north is just as bad as in the south) LOL Although it really doesn't matter...

So?

TheAlchemist
07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
That's what the Mazer's Cup is all about.

mannye
07-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Ohhhhhhh. I thought the mazer cup was something else that gotmead went to.

Never mind.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Bob1016
07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Well, anyone who is willing to drive to ft lauderdale area is more than welcome to try some mead in my tiny apartment!

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

mannye
07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I'll go again! But let's get some more mazers. Alternatively we can set a date to come to my place and I'll smoke up a mess of pulled pork.

edblanford
07-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Manyee, I am retired and amazed that you have enough free time and energy to dream this stuff up! I live in Salt Lake City and at 100 plus today, this would not be the month to doit here!

mannye
07-14-2014, 07:14 PM
HAHA! When the cell phone transformed into a full powered desktop computer I found the time to do many things at once! This thread was started while I was waiting to testify against some douche that broke into my car. He forgot to smile for the cameras. LOL! Now whether I'm recording a voice over, or waiting at the doctor's office or writing at home (especially then) I can take a moment to indulge my gotmead.com fetish!

EJM3
07-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Ah, another Gotmeader hit with M.E.A.D. apparently...

Mazerotic Encephalopathic Affective Disorder (M.E.A.D.) - Gntlknigt1

mannye
07-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah... The doctor says it may be a chronic condition!

Chevette Girl
07-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Likewise, anyone finding themselves in Ottawa is welcome to drop by and sample whatever I can reach in the catacombs, and there's a really good pub right around the corner... I dunno how it works in the 'states, but the liquor laws here in Ontario say if alcohol is for sale at a venue, we can't drink our own there while the bar's open. Or at least that's how I understand it works, according to what we were told when we got the liquor license for our wedding 5 years ago.

mannye
07-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Likewise, anyone finding themselves in Ottawa is welcome to drop by and sample whatever I can reach in the catacombs, and there's a really good pub right around the corner... I dunno how it works in the 'states, but the liquor laws here in Ontario say if alcohol is for sale at a venue, we can't drink our own there while the bar's open. Or at least that's how I understand it works, according to what we were told when we got the liquor license for our wedding 5 years ago.

I think that's a great law. No excuse to drink alone when you could be at your local.

EJM3
07-15-2014, 03:55 AM
We would do that with bottles of wine taken to our restaurant that night. They charged a "corking fee" of something like $5 or $10. But that was in Palm Springs Kalifornicator about a decade ago... I think a lot of businesses offer that service here in the US. You just have to ask around...

UKTony
07-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Our local brewers club (James River Brewers) meets in a restaurant (The Mekong) every month and often has a great turnout (50+ brewers), I'm sure a group like this would be happy to "host" such an event. Additionally Richmond is a hot bed of craft beer and microbrew activity, and we're halfway up the east coast... You might even get to meet the yeast lab team!

Food for thought?

Chevette Girl
07-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Ah, yes, the corking fee... when we were scoping out wedding locations and caterers, one said they'd shut down the bar during supper while my wine was on the table, another said flat out no you can't bring your own, and a third wanted to charge me almost as much in corking fees as the second wanted for their house wine. Guess where we ended up going... :)

mannye
07-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Ah, yes, the corking fee... when we were scoping out wedding locations and caterers, one said they'd shut down the bar during supper while my wine was on the table, another said flat out no you can't bring your own, and a third wanted to charge me almost as much in corking fees as the second wanted for their house wine. Guess where we ended up going... :)

That law would never fly around here. Bars are open from as early as 6am to as late as 1PM....that's 1PM because they OPEN at 4AM... so basically there's a bar open 24/7 in Miami/Miami Beach (two different cities for those who are confused about the distinction) so really at home or out at any time of day or night there's no excuse not to get your drink on...

As a native New Yorker... even I have to admit that Miami is really the city that never sleeps.. at least not to stop boozing it up. :)

mannye
07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Our local brewers club (James River Brewers) meets in a restaurant (The Mekong) every month and often has a great turnout (50+ brewers), I'm sure a group like this would be happy to "host" such an event. Additionally Richmond is a hot bed of craft beer and microbrew activity, and we're halfway up the east coast... You might even get to meet the yeast lab team!

Food for thought?

Sounds like the makings of an East Coast GOTMEADER's mini con to me...

pokerfacepablo
07-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Sounds like the makings of an East Coast GOTMEADER's mini con to me...
What's max capacity in the Tardis;)

mannye
07-16-2014, 11:14 AM
What's max capacity in the Tardis;)

HAHA We still haven't reached it!

smertz001
07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Here in Houston, we quite often go to breweries and local pubs to have bottle shares. Where everyone shares whatever they have and drink whatever is being served at the place we are hanging out at.

Of course it seems most people are over towards the East side of the continent...

-- Steve

mannye
08-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Last time I did one of those I had to wait for my very irate wife to come pick me up.

billyO
08-01-2014, 11:53 PM
I'd be interested in a PNW event.....(still a couple of years away from having guests at my farm.....)

Wow, I hatched! Keep feeding me ladies, and I'll be ready to get to work soon!

skunkboy
08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Sounds like fun... but wildly crazy to organize :)

mannye
08-02-2014, 10:35 PM
If it was easy, then I would do it. LOL.

Medsen Fey
08-03-2014, 07:46 AM
When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens.

GntlKnigt1
08-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Well, I get together with ThreeCats every now and then.... which constitutes a majority of the amateur mead makers in Netherlands, methinks. Aliens are welcome to attend. :3some::3some::3some:

mannye
08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Well, I get together with ThreeCats every now and then.... which constitutes a majority of the amateur mead makers in Netherlands, methinks. Aliens are welcome to attend. :3some::3some::3some:

After a trip to Playa Del Carmen followed by a weekend in Captiva, and then back home to Miami Beach, I told my wife we are no longer going to vacation in places that are EXACTLY LIKE WHERE WE LIVE so we are organizing trips to cold places from now on. Netherlands is high up on the list and so is Chicago (in the spring...lol) so I will keep you posted. A night at the Three Cats would be fun.

GntlKnigt1
08-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Lolů.ThreeCats is the screen name for a GotMead person here in Netherlands,but it would be great to have you over. Not that much cooler here lately though

mannye
08-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Ojhhhhhh. Looks like I'm opening up a bar called Three Cats.

Noe Palacios
08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Well, anyone who is willing to drive to ft lauderdale area is more than welcome to try some mead in my tiny apartment!

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Bob, I already found the question - the question was:

- Tea?
- For two ... please.

Tea for two - http://youtu.be/VOVQ_Jwamvw

Saludos

Noe Palacios
08-12-2014, 01:00 PM
GotMead.com Con ... where can I get Oskaar goggles?

GntlKnigt1
08-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I would love to have a GotMead.com Con, and we could do it through the magic of Skype, which now supports 10 users in a conversation. We missed Towel Day, but could work something up on another date.....

mannye
08-12-2014, 10:32 PM
That sounds like a plan. It would be even better if we all sent each other samples! But let's get the first one done and then we can try samples... who's in? I'm in!

kudapucat
08-13-2014, 04:47 AM
Sounds like a plan.
Although having a drink with you guys would be odd, as probably well before the sun'll be past the yardarm.

mannye
08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
If we do it on a Friday you will still be on the weekend and it won't be so bad. Just make sure you have no plans on that Sunday!

GntlKnigt1
08-13-2014, 10:30 AM
I am 6 hours ahead of american Eastern time. What is Aussie time compared to american EST? When it is 1:00 PMthere, it is 7:00 PM here

mannye
08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
I think it's so far ahead it's the next day. 12 or more hours. SO that means we have to be creative with the time. Ether way someone will be having mead for breakfast!

Riverat
08-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Melbourne is 14 hours ahead of the US east coast, 8 ahead of the Netherlands

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/#!cities=623,16,152

kudapucat
08-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Yep. GMT+10
Sorry for not answering, I was asleep. ;-)

In a month or 2 it will be GMT + 11

GntlKnigt1
08-14-2014, 02:56 AM
On the one hand, it would be just AWESOME to have a global "conference" from GotMead; I would guess that such a thing has rarely, if ever, been done before. The flip side is, trying to pick a time.....

mannye
08-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Well, Let's just try a "hello" call. No agenda except setting up the call saying hello and an introduction. Let's say.... 5am my time on Sunday? I'm up at 6 anyway, so its not that much of a stretch for me and it makes everyone else be able to have a normal time. The only official business would be to agree on a date for the the meeting?

Riverat
08-14-2014, 12:54 PM
LOL, well I'm not but can be....I'll set the alarm.
Haven't used Skype but once, I think I'm steve.houghtaling

GntlKnigt1
08-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Pic holding a jacket with mountains in background? from Georgia? I see 9 listings by that name. I am GentleKnight11 there

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Riverat
08-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Pic holding a jacket with mountains in background? from Georgia? I am GentleKnight11 there

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

I live in Georgia (a relocated Florida cracker) but that pic is in Yellowstone, wish we did have such scenery in south east Ga. (just outside of Savannah) LOL The 25 ft drop from the road to the back of my place is a relative mountain around here, we don't call it the low country for nothing!

kudapucat
08-15-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm kudapucat.
Here, there, everywhere.

mannye
08-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Im in Miami Beach which isn't Florida. It's the southernmost borough of NYC.

GntlKnigt1
08-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Okay...I think I have Steve/river at on Skype....

mannye
08-15-2014, 08:36 AM
I'll join up today.

kudapucat
08-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Steve,
You found me.
Now how do we share contacts on this? (I rarely use skype)

mannye
08-15-2014, 07:15 PM
OK...I'm on Skype via my wife's computer and apparently her account as well.. I''l PM you the email....

Chevette Girl
08-15-2014, 07:32 PM
This is really nifty, I'm glad to see you folks getting together like this! (sorry, no webcam, I get into enough trouble without one)

mannye
08-15-2014, 07:35 PM
This is really nifty, I'm glad to see you folks getting together like this! (sorry, no webcam, I get into enough trouble without one)

LOL To paraphrase Bob Marley.... (I think) "No Webcam No Cry"

Riverat
08-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Steve,
You found me.
Now how do we share contacts on this? (I rarely use skype)

Beats me, my nephew got me on Skype, I don't see an "export" for contacts lists. I'm guessing that you do need to respond to my request / share your contact so I can add you to my contacts though?
GntlKnight and I are linked up. Mannye, what is you ID / Skype "name"?

Riverat
08-16-2014, 12:41 AM

Oh and it looks like voice only or text is also an option!

GntlKnigt1
08-16-2014, 02:42 AM
Yeah.... the cam crapped out on my aging laptop.... so I will be on my tablet. Works well, and is a lot more portable anyway.

GntlKnigt1
08-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Skype on the laptop allows me to create a group.... have Riverrat and Kapupucat in there so far.... and I guess you call all of them at once.

GntlKnigt1
08-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Was great to chat with you this AM, RiverRat. A great way to get acquainted, and even better way to make batches, I suspect.

Riverat
08-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Indeed, next time perhaps there will be more attendees!

mannye
08-17-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm ready. Just let me know when. GK. I sent you an email or a PM with the correct email for Skype.

GntlKnigt1
08-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Mannye, i think i found it based on her name, but havent gotten confirmation back on my 'add' request

mannye
08-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Ahhh. I guess that means I have to go in there and accept.

kudapucat
08-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Sorry guys. Been uber busy this weekend.

Chevette Girl
08-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Oh and it looks like voice only or text is also an option!

When I get my laptop back (it's being recalcitrant so it's getting a wipe and reinstall) I'll have to see if it has a mike, I'm sure this machine doesn't. Text may be an option but I'm not entirely sure I can type coherently that early in the morning.

GntlKnigt1
08-18-2014, 03:00 AM
Well, if laptop was made in last 5 to 8 years, it probably has a cam AND mic...or, if you have a tablet, (like I have a Nexus 7) that likely has it too and is way more portable for walking around and showing stuff. Hell, even my Android Smartphone has skype with mic and cam. .

Chevette Girl
08-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I think that lappy's within those parameters, I'm not sure though, got it second-hand. The touchpad thingy drives me frigging CRAZY and it wouldn't give me (OR the techie who set it up) access to turn it off while I'm typing so it wouldn't jump all over the screen, won't let me uninstall the drivers, won't let me install software that fixes the problem (shuts it off for 5 seconds after a keystroke), won't let me touch anything, so back it went for a new restraining bolt and a mind-wipe.

But that 5 AM on a Sunday thing's the next problem, I'd only have been in bed three hours ... (Saturday night is gaming night) and even if I stayed up, you'd get my "morning voice" which is scarier than my morning hair...

mannye
08-18-2014, 03:18 PM
I think that lappy's within those parameters, I'm not sure though, got it second-hand. The touchpad thingy drives me frigging CRAZY and it wouldn't give me (OR the techie who set it up) access to turn it off while I'm typing so it wouldn't jump all over the screen, won't let me uninstall the drivers, won't let me install software that fixes the problem (shuts it off for 5 seconds after a keystroke), won't let me touch anything, so back it went for a new restraining bolt and a mind-wipe.

But that 5 AM on a Sunday thing's the next problem, I'd only have been in bed three hours ... (Saturday night is gaming night) and even if I stayed up, you'd get my "morning voice" which is scarier than my morning hair...

Heck then BURN THROUGH! Don't go to bed. Keep drinking and playing until the time to call comes.

OH man I know what you mean about not being able to shut that stupid mousepad off. I would like to know the guy that wrote the code for those things lives and go to his house to kick him hard in the balls. Then just say... "You know why!" I forget which sitcom or movie that's from.

GntlKnigt1
08-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Mannye set the time. If there ar better ones......

mannye
08-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Chevette Girl. I need your time zone.

GntlKnigt1
08-18-2014, 04:54 PM
I think she is mountain time....2 hours behind EST

kchaystack
08-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Ottowa, Ontario? Eastern. UTC-5.

Yay mead!

mannye
08-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Ah. Ok. Then if we adjust to allow her to get some sleep or get less sleep ourselves? I'm ok with doing it at 4am her time which should allow her to spend a few minutes with us after gaming and then she can hit the hay?

I keep thinking that the later we go the more it becomes Monday in Australia.

Noe Palacios
08-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Chinandega, Nicaragua. UTC-6.

kudapucat
08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
It is impossible for anywhere to be more than 24 hrs away.
Thus, hold it on a Saturday, and it must still be Sunday here at worst.
There's nothing to be done for the time lag, so look at a map. Wherever nobody lives, make that 3am then everybody should be a couple of goes either side of that. Right?

mannye
08-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Sounds good to me. I'll have a look and we will schedule.

Chevette Girl
08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
LOL, I like your thinking. But don't rearrange things just for me, at least not till I get my lappy back and figure out if I can make it skype!

And yes, Eastern time zone, on Daylight Savings. And I can't do the math in my head, I actually have to look at a map and count it out :p

mannye
08-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Is it GMT -4 during daylight? Or is it 6? I think it's 6

Regardless. We have time. IT can't be THIS Saturday because THIS Saturday is the Dr. Who premier.... and shame on you if you didn't know that. LOL

kudapucat
08-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm also at the farm (read: satellite lag) the next 2 weekends, so I'll be text only if at all.
Perhaps considering my time zone is not important this time...

Riverat
08-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Is it GMT -4 during daylight? Or is it 6? I think it's 6

Regardless. We have time. IT can't be THIS Saturday because THIS Saturday is the Dr. Who premier.... and shame on you if you didn't know that. LOL

Been waiting for it!

GntlKnigt1
08-19-2014, 03:35 AM
This is the time zone map RiverRat posted originally....
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/#!cities=16,152,623