PDA

View Full Version : What's the best order for secondary with fruit or spices?

gchucky
07-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey. I've got a 2 gallon batch going right now. Started 6/23 with 6 lb orange blossom, 1 packet K1-V1116, OG 1.098. Once primary is done, I'd like to split it into two 1 gallon batches - one getting raspberries (or some other fruit), and one with spices (allspice, vanilla). It's possible it's going to come out a bit dry, so I'm trying to figure out how to balance the following:

Stabilize
Backsweeten
Add fruit/spices
Use pectic enzyme

Do I add the fruit and the pectic enzyme at the same time, and then after a few weeks, rack off of the fruit sediment and stabilize and backsweeten? Or do I backsweeten first, and then add fruit? Same question with the spices, and the ordering there.

Thanks!

ostensibly
07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I see it as:

add pectic enzyme to fruit. cover and let sit for around 24 hours. (not sure that you even need pectic enzyme with raspberries, I've never used them)
add fruit/spices to meads
after fruit/spices are removed and mead clears, stabilize
backsweeten.

trying to backsweeten before it's stabilized can result in renewed fermentation.

Medsen Fey
07-24-2014, 11:55 PM
You can do it either way. I like to let the yeast ferment the fruit sugars adding a more-complex flavor, but that is a personal preference and you may prefer having the fruit flavor extraction without fermentation. You can try it both ways and see which you like best.

gchucky
07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys, that helps. Gotta go buy some raspberries...