PDA

View Full Version : Is my mead contaminated?(update)

ryanshanaman
07-28-2014, 12:35 PM
I recently posted asking if my 1 month old cherry mead looked contaminated.
Now between the bubbles there seems to be a hazy, murky type film coming up. I've never taken notice of this in any other meads. Still look normal? Here are two pics
http://imgur.com/jGbklIS
http://imgur.com/3ogCw3V

Marshmallow Blue
07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I'd say normal still. What kind of honey did you use again? Also I would look and take a gravity reading. At 1.140, it may very well still be fermenting.

ryanshanaman
07-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Honestly I just use the Kirkland clover hony from Costco. 10 lbs for $20 which is the cheapest I've seen around

fatbloke
07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Honestly I just use the Kirkland clover hony from Costco. 10 lbs for $20 which is the cheapest I've seen around
Fine, still take a gravity reading......

We can't know what to suggest until we know where it's at fermentation-wise.....

RachmaelBenApplebaum
07-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Pic isn't terribly clear, but is there a wrinkly film on the surface between yeast rafts?

RachmaelBenApplebaum
07-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Actually, I would just rack/sulfite right now, and get a little heavy-handed on the sulphite. What's the pH? I would shoot for at least 30ppm sulfite. Also, how were the cherries handled? Did you freeze/thaw them and then sulfite before fermentation? Or did you just process the fruit and toss it in? For your assurance, it's REALLY HARD to infect mead, I've tried :)

Marshmallow Blue
07-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Actually, I would just rack/sulfite right now, and get a little heavy-handed on the sulphite. What's the pH? I would shoot for at least 30ppm sulfite. Also, how were the cherries handled? Did you freeze/thaw them and then sulfite before fermentation? Or did you just process the fruit and toss it in? For your assurance, it's REALLY HARD to infect mead, I've tried :)

I wouldn't rack and sulphite until we know if it's still fermenting or not.

Medsen Fey
07-30-2014, 08:01 PM
It really would help to know what the gravity is and whether it is still dropping.
What yeast was used?
What nutrients?
Can you check the pH?
How does it smell?