PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry JAO variant issue?

BrauMann
08-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Hello everyone!

I am pretty new to the world of Mead, and started with a 1 gallon JAO (still fermenting). But today I started a JAO variant using blackberries instead of oranges. I found the variant on the homebrew forums and figured I'd give it a try. Now, I know it's not really an issue necessarily, but the batch is fermenting so hard it's pushing the liquid up through the airlock and draining all over the place. I figured once was common because of the amount of sugar, but it has happened three times now within 4 hours. I've tried draining liquid, adding liquid to reduce head space, I'm at a loss. The only time it isn't flooding over is when the blackberries basically create a wall, which also prevents CO2 from escaping. I would appreciate some advice!

Honeyhog
08-03-2014, 12:28 PM
You have just experienced an MEA (Mead Explosion Accident), a right of passage for all mazers. When doing batches in carboys or jugs one must keep the level down to at least the shoulder of the carboy or even a bit lower. Fruit batches are particularly prone to this as vigourous fermentation will push the fruit up through the airlock. Many do their primary fermentation of Melomels in plastic pails with a tight top and an airlock or even covered with a tea towel or cheesecloth. until the fermentation has cooled down and it's ready to be racked into a secondary fermenter, usually a glass carboy or jug.

BrauMann
08-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Ah, the grand ole learning experience! Lol it seems to have leveled out a bit, no problems since last night! I have read multiple posts about not aerating it, but it seems like the berries are creating a wall and I'm afraid it will trap CO2 underneath them, is this an issue?

kchaystack
08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
You need to bunch down the cap. Also you do need to areate for the first part of fermentation.

Stir very slow at first, then once all the foaming stops, you can get more vigorous.

Yay mead!

antonichen
08-03-2014, 10:42 PM
I had a jaom variant with strawberries that was like a Molotov hah. The blast hit my ceiling from bathroom-sink-level, and that was after I drained and removed a soggy airlock several times and *thought* the main fermentation was finishing...lol. Good luck!