PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make a mead with a wine kit?

McJeff
08-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Obviously replacing the sugar with honey but using the grape juice that comes in the kit.

mannye
08-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't that be classified as a melomel?

McJeff
08-05-2014, 10:40 AM
well prob a pyment since its with grape concetrate.

mannye
08-05-2014, 10:45 AM
ahhhhh pyment. We have funny names for things.

McJeff
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
lol yup, why not just call it grape mead :P

McJeff
08-05-2014, 10:51 AM
man i wish i could lock my own threads due to my own stupidity and lack of searching skills >.<

mannye
08-05-2014, 10:51 AM
HAHA... I responded and then you wrote the lock thing and it sounded like I was insulting you...so now I'm editing to this. LOL

Riverat
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Obviously replacing the sugar with honey but using the grape juice that comes in the kit.

I've done a couple at around 60 / 40 Honey must to Grape, works very well

McJeff
08-05-2014, 10:58 AM
i edited mine for you also :D

McJeff
08-05-2014, 11:01 AM
I've done a couple at around 60 / 40 Honey must to Grape, works very well

Ive not made a wine kit before or a mead wine kit. Was curious if you had dont both and if you put them next to each other would you tell the difference? At 100-130 for a 5g batch wine kit thats kinda hard for me to pull the trigger on.

Riverat
08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Ive not made a wine kit before or a mead wine kit. Was curious if you had dont both and if you put them next to each other would you tell the difference? At 100-130 for a 5g batch wine kit thats kinda hard for me to pull the trigger on.

My first one was a gift that oddly enough lead me to mead instead, it was my first pyment, I've found them discounted to $ 60 or so since a couple of times so I have one more to work with. Fortunately I have a primary big enough.

Chevette Girl
08-05-2014, 11:17 PM
My favourite white used to be $35 per kit and the Shiraz was around $50, I know the prices have gone up because it's been a while. I've made a few kits to the recipe (some with "fruit packs" of flavoured grape juice you add after stabilizing) and a few not at all to the recipe (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/16047-Fun-with-kit-wines!) (don't dilute it to 5 gallons, just 3, and make an ice-style wine, or make your own "fruit pack" with Welch's Raspberry frozen concentrate).

They're a fun place to start and an interesting yet sterile way to learn the basics, or at least the basics of how to rack, how to bottle, how to sanitize... I made one kit and then decided that real fruit was far more fun to play with... then I discovered meads and there was no turning back.

"Pyment-mel compared with wine", it's right there on my to-brew list, and after seeing another user from Alaska do it (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/18939-Brewlog-Merlot-Berry-Pyment) (Jayich, who hasn't been on in a while) I decided I wanted to do it with a wine kit, make half of it in my ice-style wine and the other half to the same SG but with honey instead of undiluted concentrate.