PDA

View Full Version : mead infection?

baltar
08-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi all!

About a month and half ago I made a little batch of mead, I didnt pasteurize the honey, only warmed up a little to make it more fluid, I added the honey, the water and the yeast nutrients in a jug, shaked like hell for about 10 minutes and then pitched the yeast. By the end of the 3rd week of fermentation there was almost no airlock activity so I racked it in 2 smaller bottles.

This photos were taken a week after the racking last week.
http://imgur.com/ztsHtRK
http://imgur.com/Qc8uPyU
http://imgur.com/WdOBxB5

There is this kind of dust at the top of the mead and if I shake the bottle a little, it sinks and then it goes up again.

I used
2.20 lbs of raw sulla honey
1.10 lbs of raw wildflower honey
0.66 lbs of raw acacia honey
2 teaspoons of yeast nutrients
1 pack wyeast sweet mead
water till 1.29 gal

sorry for the weird numbers but they're converted from metric ones! :)

Honeyhog
08-08-2014, 10:09 AM
All is well what you see there is normal.

Chevette Girl
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Yep, I get that with a lot of my batches. Welcome to the forum, where are you from that you use Metric? Europe, I'm guessing after googling Sulla honey (honeysuckle? Mmm!)

baltar
08-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Good!
I'm writing from Italy, sulla honey is relatively similar to acacia honey in color and taste.
Thanks for the replies. :)

Honeyhog
08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Don't worry about using metric in listing your recipes we have plenty of Europeans on here and we Canadians use it also. I went to school when we switched over from standard and we learned both metric and standard measurements simultaneously and along with being in the construction industry 30 years I can now fairly accurately convert measurements in my head.

mannye
08-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Don't worry about using metric in listing your recipes we have plenty of Europeans on here and we Canadians use it also. I went to school when we switched over from standard and we learned both metric and standard measurements simultaneously and along with being in the construction industry 30 years I can now fairly accurately convert measurements in my head.

I remember we started doing it when I was in grade school in NYC but then we went, "meh" and just kept using feet and gallons.

baltar
08-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, that's good to know, hoping that I will not need to write in this part of the forum next time! :)
And now I'll go looking for some apple cyser recipe.

GntlKnigt1
08-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Italy! Very cool! If you use search on the forums, you will find lots of cyser directions. I planted 2 apple trees and hope to make some next year

K5MOW
08-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Welcome to the forum.

joemirando
08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I remember we started doing it when I was in grade school in NYC but then we went, "meh" and just kept using feet and gallons.

Yeah, remember all the talk in the mid to late 70s about the metric system taking over? The km/hr conversion on the speedometer and all that?

A corollary of something Keith Olberman said: "The metric system is the U.S. measuring system of the future... and always will be.". ;)

-joe

mannye
08-10-2014, 01:16 PM
LOL Plus... 98 degrees THAT'S hot. What the hell is 37? Barely above freezing is what that is. ;)