PDA

View Full Version : Any Mensa Members Here?

edblanford
08-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Seems like a place where Mensians might gravitate, especially those with a do it yourself bent?

Ed
Life Member of American Mensa (and VFW and American Legion)

mannye
08-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Seems like a place where Mensians might gravitate, especially those with a do it yourself bent?

Ed
Life Member of American Mensa (and VFW and American Legion)

More like Rube Goldbergs with a Luddite bent. LOL I tried to join mensa once..... ONCE.

Riverat
08-16-2014, 12:54 AM
LOL, I was invited (my sister prodded me into the exams) but just didn't care to sign up, no real reason

GntlKnigt1
08-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Not a member, but people sat I'm a f###ing genius (usually when I am not around) LOL

Chevette Girl
08-16-2014, 11:23 AM
I used to solve the Mensa puzzles in the Saturday paper when I was a teenager but had enough of being geek elite in high school where being identified as "gifted" meant that on top of your existing responsibilities, they gave you extra work that was really difficult and not terribly rewarding. The engineering degree was enough proof to me that the brain works. Or, worked... Now I'm pretty sure I'm too dumb for Mensa, the ol' brain just don't tick over like she used to. There's a lot of truth in "if you don't use it, you lose it". Unfortunately this does NOT apply to song lyrics learned when I was a teenager. Why didn't I switch from pop to rock a couple years earlier, then I wouldn't have such ridiculous crap rattling around in here. I mean, who really needs to know ALL the lyrics from every song on the Thriller album? Even when I haven't actually heard the song in twenty years...

Midnight Sun
08-17-2014, 02:39 AM
I honestly never could see the point of Mensa. It just seemed like a club for "smart" folks, not all that interesting.

fatbloke
08-17-2014, 04:29 AM
In any case, IQ measurement is cultural, ergo members would need to develop a testing method that compares like with like - the only possible difference being what language it's presented in.......

GntlKnigt1
08-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Sharon Stone is Mensa....if you want to cross and uncross her....LOL

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

edblanford
08-17-2014, 10:18 PM
I have had a mixed experience. Local groups are very different, from the homeless to the uber successful. I joined because I could (when I initially heard of it, I enquired about the qualification tests and found that I had qualified many years before from military entrance exams in 1965) and was curious. The current publications are interesting and the "we are smarter than the rest of you" attitude is rare now, although it still exists. I have learned in my years of contact that intelligence is only one factor, and not necessarily the most important. One can be an intelligent bum, or a marginally "intelligent" individual can be amazingly successful, and anywhere in between.

PapaScout
08-23-2014, 06:22 PM
I went for a while from 2000-2003 or so. It's more of a social group (with chocolate!) and everyone was nice. Just stopped going I guess.

edblanford
08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
I totally understand that, although the groups I went to did not offer chocolate, or I might have kept going. My experience (except for a few that were "superior", even in that group) was mostly the same. I have tried several times (late '80's in Utah, mid-'90's in Florida, and again the mid '00's back in Utah), but have stopped local participation because I got little from it (and probably contributed little as well!). I enjoy parts of the publications however, and have read a number of books by members that were very good reading. Kinda a mixed bag.