PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap this guy could belt em out!

mannye
08-16-2014, 06:08 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/17/a4aba8yh.jpg

What a voice! I love it when thrifting helps me find new things.

fatbloke
08-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Bleargh! No. I just can't get my head round that "easy listening crooner" stuff.

Despite still enjoying much "stadium metal" stuff, I was listening to the Folk show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01phglj) (while stuck on a "night out" in the truck last week - and it's a BBC radio thing, so you might have to meddle with proxy's etc, to get round the regional blocking thing) and find myself liking it more.

I think, but couldn't say for certain, that the seminal moment, was when I first got a copy of U2's "Rattle and Hum" - specifically the track Van Diemen's Land (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux8qXTZetk4). I believe there's a further verse that was cut/generally left off, as it's about getting "transported" during the early Irish Freedom movement and that verse wasn't considered expedient by many.

I suppose it's because I can't get passed the cliched nature of much of the "easy listening crooner" stuff. So much of it seems aimed at the "cardigan"/pipe and slippers brigade - which I'm certainly not ready for, being young (enough), to have known the muscial rejection of the establishment by the Punk stuff (and while I understand some of the socio-political stuff that surrounded Punk and still hangs around some Folk - Folk still seems to attract some of the artsy-craftsy, liberal interlectual bollocks, which I can't abide - the bearded sandal wearers, reading stuff into the music that's not there etc).

Hey ho! I still reckon that vinyl is the better, more open sound, but there was (and still is), a lot of shite pressed into it :rolleyes:;);D

mannye
08-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Right there with you! I got a second album that's full of that crappy elevator music he did which was a waste of a great voice. This album in particular was him doing just straight arias and I was amazed at the range he had.

I grew up on an Irish neighborhood in NY and U2 were practically a religion there. I had the laser disc of Rattle and Hum and that first scene where it opens up and shows the crowd is mind blowing. Probably the best concert film made to date but coincidentally I just got these two;

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/17/ata2a3a8.jpg

Which despite growing up listening to metal and punk I've never seen. Let's see how long it takes for me to find time to watch them! I don't know if they will be as good as everyone says without the herbal enhancement they were all under when they saw them.

I'm still on the fence about vinyl being more open or fuller and richer than CD. My equipment isn't good enough to really tell the difference. I just like LPs because I pay for them by the pound (usually 10 cents a pound) and there is over a hundred years of music recorded onto them ( yes I even have Edison cylinders...waiting to find a working player).

Like shaving with a straight, vinyl adds a little bit of ceremony to the whole thing and it keeps you on a track unlike digital which has us scrolling through songs like so many TV channels.

Chevette Girl
08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
I've seen The Wall several times without er, herbal ehanncement (I've never watched it with such ehancement), I'd still watch it again. I'm presuming you've heard the album, I just find the film puts the music in perspective. When you do finally sit down and watch it, I am curious what you think.

The LedZep one though, I haven't seen. I've got a backlog of movies I haven't watched... mostly because I like to use movies I HAVE seen before while I'm doing stuff with my hands, so I'll watch The Crow or Emporor's New Groove while I'm processing fruit for wine or sewing or making chain mail because the soundtrack is enough, I don't need to see the screen for it to play in my head. Eventually The Wall got like that too, I could watch the movie in my head while listening to the CD's. Now maybe before apple season I should figure out how to get one of my CD players to play it all straight through so I don't have to stop and change it :)

mannye
08-18-2014, 03:09 PM
I listen to any genre I can get my hands on for a while before I decide it's utter crap. Like the insipid "easy listening crooner stuff" and the 1950's and 60's strings extravaganzas that despite having 100 instruments managed to have 0 emotion. I'm constantly pleasantly surprised by stuff I never thought I would like such as ragtime piano or latin jazz. And I especially like the "ribald calypso" stuff I find on 78s like "Don't Touch My Tomato" not Josephine Baker's version...that was all cleaned up.