PDA

View Full Version : No stirring?

Thig
08-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Newbie question. Coming from a background of mostly wine making I am used to stirring the must daily, yet most of the Mead recipes I see do not mention this. Is it not necessary and does it hurt if you do, I am talking about in the primary bucket of course?

danr
08-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Common practice in mead making is to aerate the must/mead until the 1/3 sugar break, in addition to Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA). Honey does not have the same nutrients that grapes do, so Fermaid (K or O) and DAP are commonly used in addition to aeration to keep the yeast happy.

WVMJack
08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I stir mine until the day before I rack, to aerate it on day 1, from then on just to keep things moving and the stir the yeast up off of the bottom and a good excuse to sneak a big sniff, I stop the last day in primary to let the big stuff settle to the bottom and rack the next day. Do not give up your good winemaking practices when making mead. WVMJ

Thig
08-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Got it, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

WVMJack
08-17-2014, 08:08 PM
What kind of honey are you getting ahold of down there in GA? WVMJ

Thig
08-17-2014, 08:26 PM
I just bought some Tupelo, Sourwood, Clover and Summer Berry from Sweetwater Creek Honey Farm in Douglasville, GA. I They do ship if interested.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk