PDA

View Full Version : Natural cocoa powder VS Dutch process cocoa powder

McJeff
08-20-2014, 03:04 PM
anyone tried both in a mead or have experience with either?

Midnight Sun
08-20-2014, 03:36 PM
I have not used either myself, but Dutch process has an alkali added and supposedly has a less intense flavor than the natural process. Not much help, but at least a starting point.

McJeff
08-20-2014, 03:47 PM
yeah I was just doing some reading and the Dutch Process stuff is suppose to be less acidic and more smooth with a better flavor. Thats what i was leaning towards myself, unless someone tells me not to :P

Medsen Fey
08-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Cocoa powder in any style makes a horrible mess. Give me nibs or give me death!

Chevette Girl
08-20-2014, 10:46 PM
When I worked with cocoa powder (probably Dutch process), I put it in the carboy and then racked onto it, leaving half a gallon of headspace for any shenanigans it wanted to get up to (it really didn't, though). I found that until I backsweetened it, it smelled like cocoa, but you couldn't taste the chocolate, unsweetened all it contributed was bitterness. Once I backsweetened it though, I was really happy with it. I let it sit long enough that it had all settled to the bottom so I could rack off the very thick layer without too much trouble. I did add bentonite to clarify it and it worked quite well.

Midnight Sun
08-21-2014, 12:34 AM
What quantity of nibs are you using Medsen? Want to try them myself at some point.

Medsen Fey
08-21-2014, 05:15 AM
I have found that anything less than 6 oz per gallon really doesn't generate enough impact to register on my palate. YMMV

McJeff
08-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Once I get some space in the basement ii had planned on doin a pumpkin and cocoa(of some sorts) secondary after the first racking.

Midnight Sun
08-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Once I get some space in the basement ii had planned on doin a pumpkin and cocoa(of some sorts) secondary after the first racking.

Unusual combo, but could be yummy. How are you going to prep the pumpkin? Also, you might consider tossing in a sweet potato; those are reputed to contribute pumpkin flavors when fermented.

I have found that anything less than 6 oz per gallon really doesn't generate enough impact to register on my palate. YMMV

Thanks!

McJeff
08-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Hmm interesting Ty for the sweet potato pointer!

skunkboy
08-22-2014, 08:40 PM
I like tincture made with nibs in vodka... straight nibs give a lovely floral/chocolate note, but don't seem to add much flavor... maybe I wasn't using enough :)

Chevette Girl
08-24-2014, 01:49 AM
I was happy with what the sweet potato contributed when I got a chance to use them... I found the purple ones, they make for a lovely golden colour instead of the white wine colour I usually get. Too bad that batch had something weird happen with the ginger I used...