PDA

View Full Version : Super Nutrient?

Stasis
08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
I have recently been looking around for a new online shop for my nutrient and stumbled upon this product (couldn't find this tub anywhere else):
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/wine-yeast-nutrient-30g/

Now, zooming on the picture it says you only need 1 to 2 grams (grams!) per 25 liters of wine. Meanwhile Tronozymol states the minimum to be 1 to 2 teaspoons per 4.5 liters. I would probably use even more.. maybe 2 to 3. Anyway, if we just look at these minimums we still get this 'super' nutrient that is allegedly some 25 times more potent than Tronozymol. Btw, I am comparing this to Tronozymol because the product description actually compares them. One could be led to believe that I can buy the equivalent of 875 grams of Tronozymol for only 3.65!

I am assuming this is not a complete formula, but just something aimed at complementing wines and would only work for wines. Even then, perhaps the label is overstating it. Perhaps this tub is completely devoid of DAP and just focuses on very important vitamins and minerals and thus makes a much more compact product? Looking again at the label it seems DAP is absent. But then again DAP is quite cheap so this is still a very good deal. I might just go for it and see what happens. Wow, if this actually works I might actually end up knowing the exact amount of DAP I'm using, for a change. Btw using Fermaid K is just not feasible for me in Malta.

Could this work for mead? Thoughts?
Thanks! :)

Medsen Fey
08-21-2014, 12:51 PM
...Perhaps this tub is completely devoid of DAP and just focuses on very important vitamins and minerals and thus makes a much more compact product? Looking again at the label it seems DAP is absent. But then again DAP is quite cheap so this is still a very good deal..

Could this work for mead? Thoughts?
Thanks! :)

The label says it contains MgSO4, vitamins & minerals. It is not a nitrogen source, and won't provide the sterols and amino acids that you get with tronozymol or other mixed nutrients. This is a yeast vitamin you can use to supplement your musts, but I'd use it in addition to tronozymol, not in place of it.

Stasis
08-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks Medsen
That's what I would have also thought Medsen. I was thinking about at least using this alongside straight DAP. The only reason I did not outright dismiss this is because it says it "contains all the nutrients and vitamins needed to make any style of wine". I think it's quite a sweeping statement to say "any style of wine". Unless whoever wrote that was only thinking about grape wine. Still the description just had to compare this with Tronozymol as if it was just as complete. I don't think I ever saw a product compare itself to other products before. I might just try this out for some of my fruit wines and see what happens. Who knows, maybe I could use Tronozymol only with meads. Although, then again Tronozymol isn't that expensive for the casual home brewer either

Chevette Girl
08-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Unless whoever wrote that was only thinking about grape wine.

Well, that IS where most of the research has been done... and some people think that wine that doesn't include grapes is not wine at all but some form of alcoholic abomination. Good thing that kind of person stays far away from a forum like this :)

GntlKnigt1
08-22-2014, 03:17 AM
Then again, there are the folks that make beer that think mead is the same process. Kudos to them for trying, but it is different from wine, different from beer, and different from mash for distilling. I made wine for a lot of years (mostly from canned wine grape juices, sometimes from fresh grapes) but became much intrigued with mead after being introduced to it by Greg Fischer at Bev-Art in Chicago back in 2004. We even shared some 20 year old mead together. My first couple batches were awful until I got the hang of the differences. He has grown big since then, and now distributes to Binny's and other outlets. I would urge anyone in Chicago area to become acquainted with him, his meads, and his store. http://wildblossommeadery.com/ and http://www.bev-art.com/