• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermented too hot in the beginning...

Barrel Char Wood Products

bonerjamz

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2014
I started a 3.5g batch 10 days ago. It didn't do much the first week (only went from ~1.125 to ~1.110 and stalled for a few days) so I added an energizer and the airlock finally started bubbling and it seems like it took off. So it's been a couple days, but after reading some things, I realized that the yeast I used - D47 - is a really nitpicky yeast temperature-wise (which I didn't know before :/ ) and my apartment's temperature is above its recommended range (mine's usually in low to mid 70s...thanks Texas). I just put it in a tub with some water and will throw some ice packs in it to keep it cool (swamp cooler).

But, did I screw myself here? Is it still early enough where a lot of fusels probably weren't produced, or will that beginning spike after the energizer result in a lot of them? I'm a little worried/annoyed that I didn't think of this before starting and potentially ruined my batch

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
IT won't be ruined but it might take a little longer to get good. Don't be discouraged if it's a little funky. I'm told that some young D47 meads are vile to the casual observer at first, but then can become some of the best. But we are talking one two and sometimes more years to get there.

bonerjamz

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2014
Kind of a bummer a couple days fermenting in warm temperature can have such an effect :/

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Kind of a bummer a couple days fermenting in warm temperature can have such an effect :/

Didn't say that! I said it MIGHT. Regardless, if you haven't dome so, look up the JAOM and BOMM basic recipes and make those while your fusely mead ages. With any luck you caught it in time. Folks with more experience than I have can give you more info. I've never used D47 having been warned off it since I live in Miami Beach (hot hot hot).

bonerjamz

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2014
Yeah, I will probably stay clear of it from now on. I'll need to find a yeast that can tolerate warmer temperatures next time...any recs?

bonerjamz

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2014
FWIW: Just measured SG. It's sitting at 1.070 right now (down from 1.125 at Day 0 and 1.110 at Day 7)

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
1388 from wyeast ia what we use for making BOMM and it can go all the way to 80 without any significant fusels although it performs best at 68, it is very tolerant. Before I had temp control I was fermenting at 79-80 and it was tasting great after 4 to 6 weeks. Do yourself a favor and check out the BOMM one gallon recipe. You will be glad you did.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns