• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Elderberries added to finished mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mciv

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 28, 2014
New to this forum and looking for advice. I'm a longtime hombrewer and have also done some wines over the years. This year I decided to try some mead as well. I have gallon of finished mead that I now want to flavor. I also have some fresh elderberries. not sure of the best way to get the elderberry flavor into the mead without adding too much liquid.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Elders aren't all that juicy. I'd crush, then add them whole. After a while when the taste seems right, rack off them and make jam with the used berries, or press them and make cordial.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Yeah, just crush them up and pop them in there, they have a little sugar and might keep the ferment going for a while, depending on how many you add, the more berries the longer you leave them the more tannins vs just flavor you will get, if you have made elderberry wine before you already have an idea how they are going to taste. A little oak in there also would meld the mead and elderberry together well. WVMJ

mciv

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for the insights. I actually had a gallon and a half of mead so I decided to do a trial with the half gallon. Being a small jug I ended up crushing some berries and with difficulty getting them into the jug. Color is changing to a nice deep red very quick. I did make an elderflower mead earlier in the summer and it cleared very quick and still has a nice floral aroma to it. It will be nice to compare the flower and the berry so thanks again for your thoughts. I hope to make more mead going forward and I'm sure this forum will be helpful.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
On our list is an elderberry mead made from the berries and then add some elderflowers to it in the secondary the next spring, but bugs keep getting my berries so we dont have enough this year. WVMJ

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I was just thinking the same thing, but needing a quicker return, considering elder flower mead this year, then blending half with the elder berry mead I'll make later.
Thus I'll have 3 elder meads. And maybe 4 if I do a braggot too.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns