PDA

View Full Version : First batch - pH concern



Thig
09-01-2014, 04:55 PM
First timer here and a little concerned about the pH, maybe I just read too much. Without all the details do I need to worry about the low pH in this case.

Started Tupelo mead with beginning sg 1.110 on 8-24-14.
Sg on 8-27-14 was 1.075
Sg on 8-29-14 was 1.055
Sg on 8-31-14 was 1.042
Sg today 9-1-14 is 1.032

It seems to be active, still in the primary. I decided to check the pH and it is 2.95. Do I need to be concerned about this if it seems to be doing OK? Smells great and taste good but obviously very sweet.

loveofrose
09-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes. You do. Add K2CO3 as fast as you can!
This will stall soon assuming the pH is correct.

Better brewing through science!

Thig
09-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks, I am going to check this again tomorrow. I checked 2 wines and the mead and they all had really low pH so my calibration might be off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Medsen Fey
09-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, do check the calibration. Most wines are not less than 3.0. If it really is less than 3.0, you'll probably need to adjust it upward using potassium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate. Recipe details will definitely help as there may be some things other than carbonates that may be useful depending on your plan.

Thig
09-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I will report back tomorrow and if the pH is still low give full details.

Thig
09-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Ok checked it again today and SG is 1.025 so fermentation is progressing, pH was 3.06. Better than yesterday but still low. I can get some calcium carbonate tomorrow, do I need to or just keep checking the SG?

Medsen Fey
09-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Which yeast are you using?

Thig
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I am using 71B-1122

Medsen Fey
09-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Well usually I'd suggest bringing the pH up to 3.4, but it is almost done and may finish out even though 71B is usually not particularly tolerant of low pH. You may be best to just leave it alone.

Thig
09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I am picking up some calcium carbonate today just in case. I am going to check the SG daily until I get it into a carboy. Is there a point that it is too late to add the calcium carbonate?

Chevette Girl
09-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Well, if your SG is already below 1.000 then I wouldn't bother... but if it looks like it's slowing down earlier than that you may want to.

Medsen Fey
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Usually it is best to make pH corrections early, but in this case, since it is already late, I'd probably let it ride.

Thig
09-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Continuing to head south, SG was 1.020 today. I did go ahead and add 1 tsp of potassium bicarbonate today, will probably rack into a carboy tomorrow regardless of the SG.

Medsen Fey
09-03-2014, 11:13 PM
It is usually wise to let it finish before racking.

Thig
09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
I always wait with my wine. I guess I should do the same here, I can just keep checking the SG and see if it is still dropping.