PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Ancient Orange, how long to start bubbling?

jhiggy
09-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Hello! I just made my first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange and was wondering how long it takes to get going? On his recipe it says within an hour but It doesn't seem to be bubbling yet. (At hour 2) (There is pressure, just no bubbles)

I made 5 gallons and I couldn't find specific instructions on how much yeast to use so I put 1 packet in. Did I maybe not use enough yeast?

joemirando
09-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Hello! I just made my first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange and was wondering how long it takes to get going? On his recipe it says within an hour but It doesn't seem to be bubbling yet. (At hour 2) (There is pressure, just no bubbles)

I made 5 gallons and I couldn't find specific instructions on how much yeast to use so I put 1 packet in. Did I maybe not use enough yeast?

It would start faster with more yeast, but a packet will do the job. Those little beasties are, at this moment, multiplying, building their numbers. In a couple of hours, maybe a day, it'll be happily bubbling away.

Bread yeast isn't TOO much different from wine yeast; it eats sugar, expells alcohol and CO2, and makes more yeast. If you don't see any activity after 24 hours, add a couple more packets of yeast. But I'll bet that before it's time, you'll see bubbling.

Welcome to the obsession!

Joe

jhiggy
09-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it the night to get going then =)

Medsen Fey
09-10-2014, 11:09 PM
It also depends on the temp. If you have it cool, it will be slower.

kudapucat
09-11-2014, 03:21 AM
I wouldn't be concerned if it doesn't bubble for 36 hours.
But I would check to see if you have a leak. A small leak won't matter, but it will stop it bubbling.
5 gal suggests you're probably using a plastic bucket? These are notorious for not sealing perfectly.

I usually add 1/2 tsp per gallon. So a tablespoon would be about right for this.

mannye
09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Remember the mazer's mantra. "What do we want? Patience! When do we want it? Now!"

I know it makes you freak out a bit if things don't get started right away, but a lot of factors can enter into when you start to see bubbles. First, check that seal.. 50% of the time, when you aren't seeing bubbles, it's a leak. It's not going to hurt the mead, but it's annoying. The other thing is the age of the yeast. Did you get a fresh bag? Did you look at the expiration date? Don't expect that bag of bread yeast your grandma had sitting on the shelf to start up in a few hours. The last thing is that it's too cold. That will slow down or even prevent it from starting.

Other than those you should be fine. Relax and have a beer while you wait.

jhiggy
09-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the responses! I'll patiently wait. =) I am using a 6 gallon bucket so there maybe a leak, although when I push on the lid the tiniest bit it bubbles. Who knows, I'll hold off on the panic for a bit

mannye
09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
That last part seems to indicate that you indeed have an air leak of some sort. Buckets are the most prone to form leaks that are hard to find. Most of the time the obvious leak will be from a section of the lid you didn't slam down but the ones from the stopper or the airlock itself can be a little harder to eliminate.

The best way to tell for sure is to give it a weekly hydrometer reading. If it goes down two times in a row, it's a RONCO oven... set it...

jhiggy
09-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Couple questions, I just went out and bought a hydrometer, took a reading and it's showing as 1.17 (It was actually just off the scale at the bottom but based on the other markings this would be about right). Did I do something wrong to have it that high? I did take the reading by pouring out liquid from the spigot.

When you take a hydrometer reading...do you just dump the liquid down the sink? It seems like a lot to waste to each time...

What do you mean a ronco oven, set it?

Honeyhog
09-11-2014, 09:36 PM
As long as you sanitize the vessels, implements and your hydrometer the sample can go right back into the must. The Ronco oven reference was about a company that sold and heavily advertized many cheesy products back in the 70s and 80s.

jhiggy
09-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear I don't have to waste my precious! ;)

mannye
09-11-2014, 11:55 PM
What do you mean a ronco oven, set it?

The original annoying infomercial guy. Ron Popiel (I may be butchering his name) had an audience participation chant about his oven... you put the food in....you set it....and the audience shouted " AND FORGET IT!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq27iOW0R0