• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Jamaican Gravy (XXX Hot Sauce)

Barrel Char Wood Products

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Thought you guys would enjoy this. I got this recipe through great effort, so I thought I would make it easier for everyone else. All ingredients can be adjusted to your personal taste. Enjoy!

Jamaican Gravy

Find a rum bottle with a bit of rum in the bottle. Preferably dark rum. Stuff this in:
2 TBSP allspice berries
2 cups habanero peppers, whole
~1/2 cup Sugar/honey to taste
6 Cloves Garlic
2 shallots (Stuff'em Bigboy)
20 sprigs thyme
~1/4 cup soy sauce to gravy color.

Boil enough white vinegar to fill the bottle. Add while still piping hot. (Put bottle in the sink just in case).
Fill to the very top!

Cap tight and allow to sit in a dark place for one month.
Good on anything! Especially jerk chicken.

Better brewing through science!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ohhhhhhh that sounds very nice! I have a bottle of Goslings that's about to have just enough left in it to refill with this!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Mouth watering already. All I've got at the moment is dried habaneros. Will they do? Of course, I'll have to figure out how big they were before they were dried and adjust.

How big a bottle are we talking about? 750ml?

Yes, this is for a 750 ml batch.

I guess dried habs would work. Never tried it. I would guess to use a cup.

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
I make pique - super basic version of this with just chilies and cider vinegar - every summer with my leftover chilies, this sounds way better.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Keep everything in the bottle. Just add more vinegar until it gets bland. I generally refrigerate it but it's not really necessary.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I figure I will just make a few pinpricks in the cap after a month and use it like that. Maybe I can also get a smaller vinegar bottle like Laysons or whatever and transfer it there.

How the heck do you stuff a shallot into a rum bottle??? You got to at least cut it in half or fourths!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
You suck it up and be a man. That's how.

Edit: Fine. You can cut the damn shallot. I'm just bustin balls like I do my friends. It is personal. You know what should follow this statement.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jamaican Gravy

Find a rum bottle with a bit of rum in the bottle. Preferably dark rum. Stuff this in:
2 TBSP allspice berries
2 cups habanero peppers, whole
~1/2 cup Sugar/honey to taste
6 Cloves Garlic
2 shallots (Stuff'em Bigboy)
20 sprigs thyme
~1/4 cup soy sauce to gravy color.

I finally got around to making up a batch of this. There are only 2 things I 'changed'. One was a screw-up, one was intentional.
  1. I added 1/4 cup dark brown sugar instead of 1/2 cup (the screw-up)
  2. In addition to about 1.25 cups of cut habaneros, I added 2 dried chipotles. (the intentional).

I didn't have any spiced rum, so the white rum I had at hand got the brown sugar to help it out. I didn't use much rum anyway (maybe an ounce and a half).

Since the habaneros and chipotles are dry, they're going to suck up some of the vinegar. Once the level drops, I'll draw some out, dissolve another 1/4 cup of brown sugar and add it in. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days. If it doesn't drop enough to accommodate the extra sugar, I'll just keep the excess out and use it.

I'm already thinking of waiting the month, draining the aged gravy out into another 750ml bottle, adding more brown sugar and hot vinegar, and letting it sit for another month, draining that and adding it to the first batch (IF there's any left by that time). From there, an empty soy sauce bottle will serve as my condiment dispenser.

They're wrong, by the way. VARIETY is not the spice of life, SPICE is the spice of life! ;)

Thanks for the recipe!

Joe

Last edited:

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
You need a dish to go with that gravy. Enjoy!

Jamaican Rice and "Peas" (beans)

1 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight in 3 cups of water
4 cups water
1/2 pound smoked pork hocks, tails, or bacon
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 scallions, crushed*
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cans Coconut Milk
2 1/2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained

Soak beans overnight in 3 cups of water.
Place the beans, along with the soaking liquid plus 4 cups of additional water into a large heavy pot or dutch oven.
Add the pork hock and garlic and scallions, thyme, allspice, salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until beans are just tender, about 1 hour.
Add the coconut milk.
Stir in the rice and, once the mixture has returned to a boil, stir, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid.
Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with copious amounts of Jamacian gravy.

**It is traditional to "crush" scallions by placing them on a cutting board and lightly tapping them with the handle of a knife.
They can then be removed before serving but still impart their wonderful flavor to the rice and peas.

In progress:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419893944.118704.jpg

Looks like hell, tastes like heaven.

Last edited:

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Oh, I've got plenty of things to use this liquid fire on, but thank you kindly for the recipe! I make a killer Rice 'n Beans, and I'm already envisioning slathering this stuff on pork chops, chicken of any kind, maybe even hamburgers. A couple of hours after mixing this up, I put a fingertip in and tasted it. I swear, I could feel blisters forming on my lips. Now, I'm one of those guys who could wash down Shiracha sauce with a cup of Frank's Red Hot or Tobasco. THIS stuff is NUCLEAR! I can't wait until its a month old and I can start using it.

Thanks again for both recipes!

Joe

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I tried a dab of this on some pork the other night. The heat was there, but not at all like it was with the first taste on the tip of the finger. I think that once this is done leaching the good stuff out of the peppers and alspice, etc., I'll thicken it up a bit with xanthan gum.

Just from the taste I got on the pork, I'll bet this'd be killer on fish!

Thanks again for the recipe!

Joe

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I just made another batch of this, with some modifications.

I added more dried habaneros, more dried chipotles (I just love that smokey hickory flavor), more garlic (about 10 cloves instead of 6), more thyme (about 30 sprigs), more sugar (one cup of dark brown sugar instead of the 'target' 1/2 cup of white sugar), about 1/2 cup of white rum (its all I had, and I mixed it with the brown sugar and heated it in the microwave to dissolve the brown sugar) and no soy sauce (I didn't like the flavor it added).

The shallots, allspice and vinegar remain the same.

For anyone who's interested, after draining the gravy out of the 750ml bottle, it yields about 3/4 of a bottle. It's quite thin, so I MAY thicken it up a little with xanthan gum. Not a lot, just so that its almost the consistency of tobasco sauce. Otherwise its spicy and, once aged for a month, not what I'd call "too hot".

I still think this'd be great on a nice swordfish steak!

Thanks again for the recipe for this, and for the rice n peas! THAT'S next on my list!

Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns