PDA

View Full Version : Apple cider

macbeth_dANk
09-13-2014, 07:21 PM
If apple cider is pasteurized will it affect the process

brentG
09-13-2014, 07:47 PM
From what I've read, pasteurized is fine. The important thing is to make sure there aren't sorbates or preservatives or anything other than ascorbic acid.
I'm a noob though, and have a lot to learn. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
I did make a batch of apple wine with pasteurized juice, and it turned out. I also recently started another one with frozen pineapple juice. Time will tell.

macbeth_dANk
09-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Yea I ran into the k probate already, pasteurization is mainly heating so I figured it wouldn't, I'm a noob as well. Thanks man

Bee Serious
09-14-2014, 09:46 AM
If you ever do heat it to pasteurize, I have heard to use pectic enzyme to help clear the haze - I use it, and it seems to help clear it, but that could be more a function of long conditioning time.

Last year, I made two batches of cider from the same juice from the same trees. One batch I "pasteurized" by heating to ~155 and cooling with a wort chiller. The other I just juiced and crossed my fingers. The non-pasteurized turned out much better. I think that heating does change the flavor...

bernardsmith
09-14-2014, 11:23 AM
If you ever do heat it to pasteurize, I have heard to use pectic enzyme to help clear the haze - I use it, and it seems to help clear it, but that could be more a function of long conditioning time.

Last year, I made two batches of cider from the same juice from the same trees. One batch I "pasteurized" by heating to ~155 and cooling with a wort chiller. The other I just juiced and crossed my fingers. The non-pasteurized turned out much better. I think that heating does change the flavor...

There are however, several different methods of pasteurization and one method - used by a local orchard- is UV pasteurization.I believe that this is a technique used to sanitize water too. To the best of my knowledge no heat is involved.

Bee Serious
09-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I looked at the UV pasteurization - it is expensive!

Chevette Girl
09-14-2014, 05:03 PM
You'll want pectic enzyme even if you never heat it. Glad to see someone's tried a back-to-back comparison, but just because it's been pasteurized doesn't mean it will make a bad finished product, just that it potentially could have been better. If it's all you can find, not-quite-perfect cider is better than none at all.

mannye
09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
That's all I can find. But the bonus is a nice glass one gallon carboy comes with it!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

EJM3
09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Around here anything in a one gallon glass jug is around $15-$22 alco or no... I can get a case of 4 empty one gallon carboys (jugs) for ~$20+tax... So I'm just gonna get creative on fermentors and bulk aging, and make ciders (and cysers!) in my 5 gallon bucket fermentor & 5 gallon glass carboy until I can get another bit of equipment lined up. And more oak. I love oak! I'll have to see how the Hungarian comes out and if I like it I'll go for a pound of it this time around. Nice super high tannin, acid, and oak. Maybe toss in some quince and vanilla for secondary.....